Xbox Series X [XBSX] [Release November 10 2020]

What counts is the result.
Some days ago I renewed the gold (12 months, still available) and noticed that even their web payment system is in react.
I still gasp whenever someone says they buy XBLG/PS+ directly from MS/SONY. Also learned recently that a nice chunk of subs are, willingly, on an automated month-to-month subscription.
Haven't been able to sleep well since I've found out.

I still gasp whenever someone says they buy XBLG/PS+ directly from MS/SONY. Also learned recently that a nice chunk of subs are, willingly, on an automated month-to-month subscription.

I was surprised with a small poll for PlayStation Plus. There's a lot that willingly pay full price even though market price is almost half. Crazy.

The new store and other aspects are amazingly fast compared to the old, even on the puny Jaguar cores of One X. I spent some time today navigating around and trying out a lot of areas they revamped. Sorry, I didnt stream any of it online.

It uses JavaScript to call native code. It still requires a JavaScript VM, IIRC.
Opensource but developed by Facebook, Surely MS, the most famous software company in history could come up with their own inhouse solution?
Seems a bit weird TBH

The new store and other aspects are amazingly fast compared to the old, even on the puny Jaguar cores of One X. I spent some time today navigating around and trying out a lot of areas they revamped. Sorry, I didnt stream any of it online.
The problem I have with the store (and the whoel UI) is, that is heavily dependent on your connection to the microsoft servers. And somehow they don't get this right here in germany. I learned that long ago on the xbox 360. If the ms servers react fast, the UI is fast, if they aren't the UI is sluggish. And most times here, the server-connection is ... well not good. It is not my internet connection (already checked that) it's purely on microsofts side.

I was surprised with a small poll for PlayStation Plus. There's a lot that willingly pay full price even though market price is almost half. Crazy.

I totally agree, however there will always be the lazy, rich or parents who don't really understand.

Opensource but developed by Facebook, Surely MS, the most famous software company in history could come up with their own inhouse solution?
Seems a bit weird TBH
Well, the new store is already built with ReactNative, that though makes sense because they want it to be multi-platform. I just don't want to see them extending it to the home and the guide.

Well, the new store is already built with ReactNative, that though makes sense because they want it to be multi-platform. I just don't want to see them extending it to the home and the guide.

Why does it matter what it's implemented in so long as its fast and fits the resource footprints?

The problem I have with the store (and the whoel UI) is, that is heavily dependent on your connection to the microsoft servers. And somehow they don't get this right here in germany. I learned that long ago on the xbox 360. If the ms servers react fast, the UI is fast, if they aren't the UI is sluggish. And most times here, the server-connection is ... well not good. It is not my internet connection (already checked that) it's purely on microsofts side.
There is a wall in a basement in Seattle somewhere with the team behind the elegant Zune interface trapped behind it, a necessary final sacrifice before whoever it was with the burning desire to recreate the pinterest "wall of jpegs" look could seize control

Why does it matter what it's implemented in so long as its fast and fits the resource footprints?
true, I Couldnt find any good benchmarks for console but heres with android/IOS
https://medium.com/swlh/flutter-vs-react-native-vs-native-deep-performance-comparison-990b90c11433
and as this is chiefly by Facebook I expect they focus on mobile so their implementation should be pretty decent
As you can see ReactNative isnt the best for both memory & speed

Now on a closed fixed hardware platform like Xbox, I know for a fact going native will be less resource intensive (both CPU and memory)
Perhaps it will be good enough, the only way to see is wait until it shows up

Simply there is not enough performance in actual GPUs architectures (including possibly the newest NVidia Ampere architecture) for applying a full ray tracing rendering to a complex game. The only example so far is Minecraft (not exactly known for its complex visuals) and the performance was acceptable but if the same type of rendering should have been applied to a modern AAA title with millions of polygons and complex materials and a lot of lighting sources... well.. good luck at watchina a slideshow. They expect ray tracing to start being used for realistic lighting effects and not on the complete scene, that is the sense of that article

Possibly with a DLSS type feature would make ray tracing feasible on next-gen consoles, but any DirectML solution on consoles would involve a lot of development work most studios aren't in a position to allocate required resources. Switch might be in a good position assuming no IHV changes to their next-gen consoles.
DirectML is just an API for implementing certain classes of DNNs. It won't magically put a superres/supersampling solution in the hands of developers.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2147290/

Simply there is not enough performance in actual GPUs architectures (including possibly the newest NVidia Ampere architecture) for applying a full ray tracing rendering to a complex game. The only example so far is Minecraft (not exactly known for its complex visuals) and the performance was acceptable but if the same type of rendering should have been applied to a modern AAA title with millions of polygons and complex materials and a lot of lighting sources... well.. good luck at watchina a slideshow. They expect ray tracing to start being used for realistic lighting effects and not on the complete scene, that is the sense of that article
Minecraft (at least the official one) is not fully raytraced. Is still more or less a hybrid. And yes, the performance hit is gigantic. They had to make many sacrifices and use tricks to get it close to real time RT.

Back