NextGen Games new $70 price point and paid upgrades? [2020-07]

So FIFA21 is looking to be quite the shit storm, it won't even support crossgen multiplayer, so no playing with friends who aren't on exactly the same system as you are.
Are there any other games announced with cross-gen that have advertised cross-gen multiplayer? If not, are there technical reasons, or Sony not allowing it (ie. business reasons)

Are there any other games announced with cross-gen that have advertised cross-gen multiplayer? If not, are there technical reasons, or Sony not allowing it (ie. business reasons)

I believe Bungie announced that Destiny 2 will support cross-play between PS5 and XBSX.

Edit: Maybe not...
Bungie also detailed that with the launch of the next-gen systems, Destiny 2 will offer intergenerational crossplay between current and next-gen systems of the same family; ie, PS4 with PS5, and Xbox One with Xbox Series X. This ensures that whether you’re playing on current systems or next-gen hardware, you’ll be able to still gather together with friends to do raids or take on challenges with your Guardians.

I believe Bungie announced that Destiny 2 will support cross-play between PS5 and XBSX.

Edit: Maybe not...
I'm referring to cross-gen multiplayer, not "crossplay" between different brands. You've confirmed that indeed there does seem to be cross-gen multiplayer becoming available with PS4 and PS5 players being able to connect.

So that makes EA's decision a business one, not a technical limitation.

So FIFA21 is looking to be quite the shit storm, it won't even support crossgen multiplayer, so no playing with friends who aren't on exactly the same system as you are.

https://www.trueachievements.com/n42910/fifa-21-cross-play
Would be interesting to hear why.
Will the physics be updated that much between generations?
Be nice to have a legacy physics mode if that was the case.

I can't think of any other reason why to be honest.

Would be interesting to hear why.
Will the physics be updated that much between generations?
Be nice to have a legacy physics mode if that was the case.

I can't think of any other reason why to be honest.

maybe a complete engine change ?

This kind of goes along with the thread asking about viability of game development. However, this is a bit of a slap to the face when it's a sports title asking for more money. What innovations can be done there? It seems like the easiest genre to make money in, just do a roster update and some jersey and stadium style updates and you just printed yourself millions of dollars.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/07/will-nba-2k21s-70-price-set-a-new-next-gen-console-standard/

2K breaks gaming’s de facto $60 ceiling, asks $70 for next-gen NBA 2K21
Inflation has eroded big-budget gaming’s $60 standard for about 15 years now.

A new generation of video game consoles may come with a new standard price point for big-budget games. That's the impression 2K Games is giving, at least, with today's announcement that the Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 versions of NBA 2K21 will come in at an MSRP of $69.99.​

That price point is $10 higher than the $59.99 asking price for the Xbox One and PS4 versions of the same game, which are due to launch September 4. And an NBA 2K spokesperson confirmed to Ars Technica that the premium pricing is based on what it sees as the increased value represented by the power of new consoles.​

"We believe our suggested retail price for NBA 2K21 on next-generation platforms fairly represents the value of what's being offered: power, speed, and technology that is only possible on new hardware," the representative told Ars Technica. "While we are confident that NBA 2K21 will be a monumental leap forward for the franchise and a standout visual showcase on next-generation consoles, we recognize that it's our responsibility to prove this value to our fans and NBA 2K players."​

This is one of the least likely games that need an increase in retail price due to budget woes. I’m sure their microtransactions bring in a ton of cash.

I wonder why physical version on Xbox can’t be upgraded but on PS4 it can?

Also, I never played the first...is it worth it?
Activision wants to charge more for next gen. So they created 2 SKUs.
1 SKU that is actually smart delivery. So both physical and digital when moved around will download the correct version to the console ($70)

And 1 SKU that is not smart delivery -- this is bound to XBO ($60)

MS has a policy that did not allow Publishers to charge for upgrades. So they skirted around this by creating 2 SKUs.

They recently allowed the Digital Version to be upgraded, not sure if MS caved or what. We'll need to see the upgrade price at launch.

Activision wants to charge more for next gen. So they created 2 SKUs.
1 SKU that is actually smart delivery. So both physical and digital when moved around will download the correct version to the console ($70) .. MS has a policy that did not allow Publishers to charge for upgrades. So they skirted around this by creating 2 SKUs.
It's sadly ironic that Microsoft's attempt to get a good deal for consumers has resulted in little less flexibility for those who want to buy a game on current-gen with an option (rather than a firm commitment) to upgrade to next-gen later. You may buy it now, have your fill on current-gen and decide not to upgrade down the line but you have to make that decision at the point of purchase.

I actually didn't realise this was a firm policy rather than say a strong suggestion and are some other weird schisms with publishers taking a different stand with some games on PlayStation and Xbox. I heard on recent IGN podcast that Ubisoft are not including physical game discs in Xbox versions of collectors editions of Watch Dogs and Assassin's Creed where PlayStation they are. I guess it depends on your preference, if you want Xbox discs it sucks and if you want a PSN code it sucks. Why not just have a platform agnostic box and let the under chose disc or code? PC owners can get in on this too!

Publishers, this is not very complicated and yet you're still managing to mess up. :mad:

PC gamers have not had physical media for decades. I dont think they'd pick disc. ;)
You'd be surprised at how many collectors editions do not accommodate PC owners at all! Once you toss out platform-agnosic art/branding/logos then you can put anything in the box, including a Steam/EGS/GoG code.

I don't think it is. Seems like MS may have caved on it.

Seems kind of weird that the DLC upgrade would replace the entire base game. It would be fitting if somehow people figured out a way of just purchasing the addon for $10 and get to play the entire game. :LOL:

Back