Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why?
It's just a XOS successor.

Because while it may be an Xbox One S successor in many ways, there are many reasons to take a different approach to selling it IMO.

For one thing, Xbox One lost badly to Playstation and the games generally ran worse. In addition, people are under the impression that Xbox One is on it's way out, and Series X is the future. It's all that MS have banged on about for months. Lockhart also has almost nothing in common with Xbox One and everything in common with series X. E.g. Series X has SSD and ray tracing, and MS have been and will be ramming that home. Xbox One doesn't. Hey everyone, here's a new Xbox One for $399!

And if you're going to be spending tens upon tens of millions of dollars driving the Series X name, you might as well not mix messages about a new Xbox One. Ride the Series X name with your "mini" product. The name explains exactly where it sits and what people should expect from it.

The "Xbox one" name will be dead weight for Lockhart. Again, IMO.

It's literally the opposite

I mean, that quote's a bit weird so perhaps it went wrong, but in terms of hardware it really is all MS have been banging on about.

They haven't been pushing Xbox One, and they haven't even mentioned an Xbox One successor. MS's hardware future has only been mentioned in terms of Xbox Series X, which they have been hyping up rather well. Starting with an aspirational video at the game awards, talking about Raytracing and SSD.

Perhaps we've been watching different things?

Because while it may be an Xbox One S successor in many ways, there are many reasons to take a different approach to selling it IMO.

For one thing, Xbox One lost badly to Playstation and the games generally ran worse. In addition, people are under the impression that Xbox One is on it's way out, and Series X is the future. It's all that MS have banged on about for months. Lockhart also has almost nothing in common with Xbox One and everything in common with series X. E.g. Series X has SSD and ray tracing, and MS have been and will be ramming that home. Xbox One doesn't. Hey everyone, here's a new Xbox One for $399!

And if you're going to be spending tens upon tens of millions of dollars driving the Series X name, you might as well not mix messages about a new Xbox One. Ride the Series X name with your "mini" product. The name explains exactly where it sits and what people should expect from it.

The xbox series s wont be $100 more than the ps5.

The xbox series s will have the same feature set as the ps5 just rendering at a lower resolution. If your kid wants to play fortnite or minecraft or cod or cyberpunk the xbox series s will do that at a cheaper price than the ps5. When compared to the ps4 it will be a similar price it will also play games with raytracing and better performance along with faster load times and a host of other improvements over that system.

Mini doesn't work because in the console market additional terms like slim and micro and mini have been used before

The xbox series s wont be $100 more than the ps5.

The xbox series s will have the same feature set as the ps5 just rendering at a lower resolution. If your kid wants to play fortnite or minecraft or cod or cyberpunk the xbox series s will do that at a cheaper price than the ps5. When compared to the ps4 it will be a similar price it will also play games with raytracing and better performance along with faster load times and a host of other improvements over that system.

Mini doesn't work because in the console market additional terms like slim and micro and mini have been used before

No-one's dreaming about another Xbox One.

1550 mhz clock, would be quite conservative for RDNA2, why dont they start by upping that baby to 1800+? Would seem to be damn near free performance and push it up to near 5TF which is that much more palatable.

I guess it increases cooling cost or something? It's weird.

Well, again I think Lockhart is a terrible idea because they wont be able to get it much below $400, and I think it will die very quickly.

1440P 60 FPS "performance target". Half the pixels with 1/3 the GPU performance. Huh.

NOOO!!! LOL. If you got enough performance to go to 1440p, do something like 1080p 21:9 or 32:9 support. I bought my son an ultrawide monitor and thought it would be wonderful if consoles had such features. I would actually migrate to ultrawide monitor for console gaming if MS or Sony actually supported it.

1550 mhz clock, would be quite conservative for RDNA2, why dont they start by upping that baby to 1800+? Would seem to be damn near free performance and push it up to near 5TF which is that much more palatable.

I guess it increases cooling cost or something? It's weird.

Well, again I think Lockhart is a terrible idea because they wont be able to get it much below $400, and I think it will die very quickly.

Why? If you told me a next-gen console would be like a PS4 with double the flops, 2 more GB of RAM, and an SSD, I would hardly think it would require a $400 price tag.

I wouldn't call it free performance as you would might need more expensive cooling + worse yields.

Why? If you told me a next-gen console would be like a PS4 with double the flops, 2 more GB of RAM, and an SSD, I would hardly think it would require a $400 price tag.

You didn't see ps4 pro?

I guess Lockhart will be 300-400. Again will not be remotely compelling to the market IMO. But we will see I guess, if they ever announce the thing.

You didn't see ps4 pro?

I guess Lockhart will be 300-400. Again will not be remotely compelling to the market IMO. But we will see I guess, if they ever announce the thing.

PS4 Pro was meant to accommodate the high-end market. I doubt Sony tried to maximize cost savings with large volume contracts. I imagine that XSX is the high-end console with lower volume sales while the bulk of sales will come from Lockhart.

I can see MS targeting $300. Maybe lower if Sony is aggressive with pricing.

Last edited:

I believe their biggest push is the same as the push on Windows 10. Limiting the number of devices you support, and reducing complexity of manufacture. The more components are shared between the two models, the cheaper and easier their are to make. Pure speculation, but if I were there, I’d try to take advantage of the split board to make that main board be the only difference between the two models. You’re correct about the One name being a boat anchor. S series is intended to bring people into the ecosystem at the lowest possible entry point, even given away with X years of GPU down the line.

It’s alleged Microsoft has another more AppleTV device in the works that is designed to be a total budget/travel system that’s just a gateway to Xcloud, but I figure that’s going to be more of a wait and see to actually bring to market assuming it exists

PS4 Pro was meant to accommodate the high-end market. I doubt Sony tried to maximize cost savings with large volume contracts. I imagine that XSX is the high-end console with lower volume sales while the bulk of sales will come from Lockhart.

I can see MS targeting $300. Maybe lower if Sony is aggressive with pricing.

It's hard to gauge interest in an unannounced product, but I think early adopters will be aiming at XSX or nothing.

I'll add that if lockhart lacks a disk drive I find it hard to believe it will sell well early as people will be using it to play existing libraries. Unless they work around the drm.

Definition of early adopter in the case of xbox series doesn't apply in exactly the way.

I don't see how the meaning of the term is changed at all. The experience of being an early adopter might be changed. As you will have thousands of games to play as opposed to a few new ones that can only play on that system. Some will take more advantage of the power than others.

I don't see how the meaning of the term is changed at all. The experience of being an early adopter might be changed. As you will have thousands of games to play as opposed to a few new ones that can only play on that system. Some will take more advantage of the power than others.
In terms of console launches earlier adopter encompasses the willingness to enter early with some of the following being known for example:
Small games library
Cost to entry
How long it takes for support to really pick up

Early adopter for xbox series doesn't really mean all that if your taking xss into account.

It's hard to gauge interest in an unannounced product, but I think early adopters will be aiming at XSX or nothing.

I'll add that if lockhart lacks a disk drive I find it hard to believe it will sell well early as people will be using it to play existing libraries. Unless they work around the drm.

Early adopters tend to mainstream or hardcore because of the price of the console and scarcity. The question is what happens when u launch a console with a lower price point? Does it pull forward more casual gamers who usually wait for better pricing?

I would never buy my son a $500-$600 console, not when I’m trying to buy one for myself. $1000-$1200 would be a lot swallow at the cash register. LOL. $700-$800 would be more feasible. Shit, thats still a lot. But with LH, he is likely to get a next gen console much sooner than he would have otherwise.

I also look at Lockhart how Apple looks at the SE. Cheaper for not only more price conscious westerners but more palatable to those who live in countries with lower standards of living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back