Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saying the machine will shut down, pretty sure he explicitly said that won’t happen with PS5
Honestly, the amount of fake concern over this is so ridiculous. Sony would never release any kind of product that does not work as prescribed 'when it's hot' - unless you're in Death Valley which just registered 54.4C, but that's a bit extreme.

There are always operating temperatures in all electronic products sold, it's in every manual, and there are laws that protect consumers from defective hardware, which is basically what this would be.

That worked with creative sound-cards for ages. Nothing really new. On a stereo headset you can here a sneaking player behind you (since battlefield 2).
And again, this only applies for stereo headsets. This does not work very good with 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, ...
Yes, you can make more calculations now, but like e.g. Dolby expressed, more sources is not better. At a certain point, it just creates more noise.
Audio processing is not like graphics processing where you can scale almost without limits. In the end, there is really not much more to gain. Only under very specific circumstances.
Even MS tried with kinect 2 scanning your room to make your audio entertainment better (and also used the mic in kinect to test the settings). In the end, it didn't do much. Audio output is really heavily depended on the audio setup and the person which uses it. Adding much more processing time into this is more or less a waste of time and in the end, game developers will use the cpu (like in all generations before even if there was audio hardware).

Can't the new audio hardwares on next gen systems just improve sound quality by better calculating reverbs, objects it's bouncing into and more of it? Wouldn't more noise/sources be more convincing depending on context?

play some PSVR - or even better just get some headphones and try some YouTube videos

It’s not the same, try some YouTube’s - and in a game the audio moves with your head/view

Funny but true

The cave sounds in UE5 sounds great but there was no such convincing effect on any of the other next gen trailers of cg and gameplay.

Audio is just that thing that most consumers won't care about so much, they only see/feel graphics. Probably the reason why consoles are 20 years behind in that area.
Yet MS has invested in it for the xsx, about time perhaps.

That worked with creative sound-cards for ages. Nothing really new. On a stereo headset you can here a sneaking player behind you (since battlefield 2).
And again, this only applies for stereo headsets. This does not work very good with 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, ...
Yes, you can make more calculations now, but like e.g. Dolby expressed, more sources is not better. At a certain point, it just creates more noise.
Audio processing is not like graphics processing where you can scale almost without limits. In the end, there is really not much more to gain. Only under very specific circumstances.
Even MS tried with kinect 2 scanning your room to make your audio entertainment better (and also used the mic in kinect to test the settings). In the end, it didn't do much. Audio output is really heavily depended on the audio setup and the person which uses it. Adding much more processing time into this is more or less a waste of time and in the end, game developers will use the cpu (like in all generations before even if there was audio hardware).

Old time Aureal A3D 2.0 stan here, Creative's EAX solution suuucckkkkeedddd. Modern games are awful at audio, even in Division 2 I can hear audio effects getting clipped off because the damn audio system ran out of voices in a fire fight, I still rarely get reverb as convincing and natural as I did in Half Life 1 with A3D. I am very interested by the possibilities that Cerny pushed in Road to PS5, imagine if we stopped innovating with 3D visual effects circa 2012 and you have a good idea of why audio seems uninteresting now. The WASAPI introduced with Windows 8 and the inability to send raw audio streams to soundcards for mixing etc under Direct X rendered the cards largely useless except for better noise floor or higher quality DACs.

So why are you saying ps5 will go slower on steep areas?
It must, yes, power is fixed.

Thanks, I appreciate the dumbing down and can easily understand what you’re saying, but to me it is counter to what Cerny is describing. The point was that all PS5s will act the same no matter where you are right? You’re suggesting a PS5 in a hot country will fluctuate like hell and a cool country have a much smoother ride?
Xbox would shut down. The speed is fixed but the throttle is not. So the throttle would just be opened wide trying to get the truck to reach a specific speed even though it shouldn't be.

PS5 would just slow down instead of shut down. it would have to be a fairly extreme case for it to shut down I think. Sony would have had to have done the behaviour on clocking wrong.

neither console should shut down -- they are tested to in hard conditions. But I wanted to just sort of point out how they could behave differently under extreme stress.

That is not possible with a fixed power budget, in this case available current for the electric drum engine. When the stones are pushing heavy load for the drum something have to give. Either blow a fuse or reduce drum speed.

In that case, it happens on the other machine too, right?
Because if power is available to both the controler and drum to be at full speed on both, why do you think the problem is exclusive to one only?

I think Cerny used the phrase most the time. There's definitely going to be times when the GPU doesn't run at it's max, that's the whole point of the design decision behind the PS5.

Of course it did... Clocks are variable... and will not stay fixed because they don't need to!

It must, yes, power is fixed.

It is... power is fixed at a point where the console is using both components at full.
So I don´t see the need for decrease!

But if you are talking about a worst case scenario, where one of the components of the console, for some reason, would go above maximum, in that case, the system would check if it could get power from the other component (CPU or GPU), and it it can, use it.
If not, it will downclock to keep power budget withing range.
But this is not a common thing... This is a worst case scenario.

It is... power is fixed at a point where the console is using both components at full.
So I don´t see the need for decrease!

But if you are talking about a worst case scenario, where one of the components of the console, for some reason, would go above maximum, in that case, the system would check if it could get power from the other component (CPU or GPU), and it it can, use it.
If not, it will downclock to keep power budget withing range.
But this is not a common thing... This is a worst case scenario.
Going at 100% frequency is not an indication of power.

in my analogy
Gas is power
Speed is frequency
Steepness of hill is activity level

so when you go uphill you need more gas to maintain the same speed. When you go flat or downhill you can use less power and get more speed.

Last edited:
When I got my Turtle Beach A3D setup in ... I think it was 1998, it blew my mind. It's the one and only time real time audio has ever done that for me.

"There's no going back from this. No going back. It's ... there no going back."

Things went back. :(

OG xbox had the (comparable) tech? It had HTRF/positional audio, hardware audio, i think it was the Nforce solution. At the time Brute Force was advertising about the audio capabilities. Otherwise it went unused except for dd5.1 as standard?

Obviously the console will adjust it's clock speeds for the CPU/GPU, probably more often then in 'extreme rare cases', otherwise the whole variable clocking wouldn't be needed. In extreme rare cases all consoles will shutdown at some point.
I guess that this downclocking will only happen in high demanding games, the games like HZD, Eternal etc that really push everything to the max almost sustained.
Say theres a scene where there's only demand for 9TF of performance, then the next scene maxes to 10TF in a burst, it can attain that, probably how many games work. But probably if games want that max CPU and GPU at the same time, sustained, the thing will most likely clock down to what they could achieve as max before the boost tech.

It's a great idea, i mean without it the console would have been under 9TF (they couldnt achieve 2ghz) and the CPU would be way below 3.5 at 3000mhz.

A Digital Foundry article on it

https://wccftech.com/df-ps5s-variab...only-1st-party-will-truly-utilize-ssds-speed/

''On the other hand, the PS5 is quite less powerful than the Xbox Series X when it comes to the CPU and especially the GPU. Not only is the official TFLOPs count quite different (12 for the Xbox Series X and 10.28 for the PS5), Sony's next-generation console is also using variable frequency on both CPU and GPU, unlike Xbox Series X.''

''This means that the CPU frequency won't always be at 3.5 GHz and most importantly the GPU frequency won't always be at 2.23 GHz, which would be insanely high. In fact, our hardware team (who's crafting a deep dive analysis right now) at Wccftech believes the usual clock could be well below that frequency, leading to a much lower TFLOPs count.''

DF: PS5’s Variable Clocks Will Force Devs to Make Choices; Only 1st Party Will Truly Utilize SSD’s Speed

OG xbox had the (comparable) tech? It had HTRF/positional audio, hardware audio, i think it was the Nforce solution. At the time Brute Force was advertising about the audio capabilities. Otherwise it went unused except for dd5.1 as standard?

It did indeed, nForce (because of course NV camel cased it) had very rich audio capabilities easily rivalling the Creative stuff at the time. IMO MS essentially lost patience with audio acceleration, at the time GPU vendors would work with MS to add whatever new feature they had to DX but every time MS added EAX N to D3Dsound Creative would launch EAX N+1 and push devs to add the new proprietary code to their game. MS appear to have eventually decided it wasn't worth dealing with it anymore and just killed audio hardware acceleration altogether in the D3D stack.

Obviously the console will adjust it's clock speeds for the CPU/GPU

I think talk of the CPU giving power to the GPU for boost is too distracting as a topic. Getting people to understand how boost and why it must eventually downclock on specific types of activity even if you had perfect cooling and a massive power supply is the major item to getting people to understanding the topic before you introduce sharing power with the CPU.

it is apparent that there needs to be additional discussion around the amount of power needed to run at a specific speed with some activity
and to run at a specific speed with significant activity.

It did indeed, nForce (because of course NV camel cased it) had very rich audio capabilities easily rivalling the Creative stuff at the time. IMO MS essentially lost patience with audio acceleration, at the time GPU vendors would work with MS to add whatever new feature they had to DX but every time MS added EAX N to D3Dsound Creative would launch EAX N+1 and push devs to add the new proprietary code to their game. MS appear to have eventually decided it wasn't worth dealing with it anymore and just killed audio hardware acceleration altogether in the D3D stack.

Does W10 improve on this again? I remember everything hw acceleration took a nosedive after XP/vista. W10 has spatial sound/sonic audio and Steam seems to have some nice audio capabilities, but still in one of my pc's the X-Fi audio acceleration isn't available i think.
Another game making use of the Xfi's abilities was BF2 on Ultra settings, it required an Xfi with 64mb xram.

I think talk of the CPU giving power to the GPU for boost is too distracting as a topic. Getting people to understand how boost and why it must eventually downclock on specific types of activity even if you had perfect cooling and a massive power supply is the major item to getting people to understanding the topic before you introduce sharing power with the CPU.

it is apparent that there needs to be additional discussion around the amount of power needed to run at a specific speed with some activity
and to run at a specific speed with significant activity.

Yes people are very confused it seems, that's why i just listen to what DF has to say about it.

in my analogy
Gas is power
Speed is frequency
Steepness of hill is activity level

so when you go uphill you need more gas to maintain the same speed. When you go flat or downhill you can use less power and get more speed.

I'm sorry. I'm not getting it.
Regardless of what things mean in your analogy, what makes you think PS5 has no power for full frequency full activity, but Xbox does?

Does W10 improve on this again? I remember everything hw acceleration took a nosedive after XP/vista. W10 has spatial sound/sonic audio and Steam seems to have some nice audio capabilities, but still in one of my pc's the X-Fi audio acceleration isn't available i think.
Another game making use of the Xfi's abilities was BF2 on Ultra settings, it required an Xfi with 64mb xram.

Ugh the Windows Audio stack basically .......it depends. D3D will never use your h/w acceleration because after a certain point it stopped sending raw audio for mixing etc to the soundcard itself instead the soundcard was served s/w mixed streams and was limited to being a fancy DAC (which is why audio cards fell out of most dedicated builds because cost benefit versus m/b audio wasn't there for games). DICE have always cared about sound so they did go out of their way to integrate X-Fi for BF2 but even at that point it was a very unusual title for doing so and I can't recall any other major title from that year bothering, Creative tried to do a dev "Designed For" program like NV and AMD but lacked the big pot of cash to make it worthwhile

There are other areas of the O/S though that will talk to your soundcard and allow it to the mixing etc (via WASAPI) but those are all non-games titles (I think this is why X-Fi can do all sorts of messing with MP3s to clean them up). The Windows 10 audio stuff is all s/w afaik but I'd love to hear MS had decided to look at windows audio again (and hey maybe have a look at colour management while they're at it too.... please, for the love of god.....pleeeaaaaasssseeee)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back