Epic Sues Apple and Google due to Fortnite getting pulled [2020-08-13, 2021-05-03]

ooph fuck. They just straight up banned any games using Unreal Engine as well.

Oh shit that's fucks a lot of cross developers.

Just over two weeks ago, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook was asked during a Congressional hearing whether Apple has “ever retaliated against or disadvantaged a developer who went public about their frustrations with the App Store”. Mr. Cook testified, “We do not retaliate or bully people. It’s strongly against our company culture.”1 But Apple has done just that. When Epic gave users of its app Fortnite a choice of how they wanted to make purchases, Apple retaliated by removing Fortnite from its App Store. Then when Epic sued Apple to break its monopoly on app stores and in-app payments, Apple retaliated ferociously. It told Epic that by August 28, Apple will cut off Epic’s access to all development tools necessary to create software for Apple’s platforms—including for the Unreal Engine Epic offers to third-party developers, which Apple has never claimed violated any Apple policy.

ooph fuck. They just straight up banned any games using Unreal Engine as well.

Oh shit that's fucks a lot of cross developers.
Watch Epic/Tim play the victim again & double down...even when it's perfectly in Apple's right to do what they are doing.

I would not have words if I was PUBG inc. or something using their engine on IOS and Epic gets your game banned.

holy shit.

I'll be honest I don't think Apple would have gone nuclear if Epic didn't release the 1984 apple trailer

I would not have words if I was PUBG inc. or something using their engine on IOS and Epic gets your game banned.

holy shit.

I'll be honest I don't think Apple would have gone nuclear if Epic didn't release the 1984 apple trailer
Play stupid games. Win Stupid prizes... Unity is the defacto standard on iOS & Android anyway...Besides Fortnite & PUBG Mobile (which is a Tencent Game...) there's no other successful UE powered mobile games.

But it wasn't PUBG that broke the TOS. Why should they be punished?
Developers should now think twice before using UE I guess ? This is literally all on Epic Games. They know what they are doing: make noise and create fake outrage (while quietly "briefing" & "compensating" members of the press to astrosurf for them...)

PUBG Mobile = Tencent = Epic...Apple knows that..

Last edited:
Am I correct in seeing that apple makes more profit on their app store, than with their iphones or am I reading the wrong numbers

"In fiscal year 2019, Apple posted sales of $260.17 billion on a net income of $55.25 billion."
"Apple’s Services segment posted revenue of $46.3 billion in the fiscal year 2019, In the fiscal year 2019, Apple's services business posted gross margins of 63.7%"

Watch Epic/Tim play the victim again & double down...even when it's perfectly in Apple's right to do what they are doing.

I always find this sort of comments a bit baffling. Just because they own the store and set some ToS, doesn't mean they can do whatever they want. As with any business there are laws, rules and regulations that must be followed to avoid exactly what Apple is doing now. Pulling Fortnite, is one thing, but banning Epic's dev account and preventing other devs from using Unreal is basically Apple blatantly abusing their power to force everyone to go with whatever rules Apple makes up and you better not dare say anything about it.

This comes just a few weeks after Apple said “We do not retaliate or bully people. It’s strongly against our company culture.” Well, that obviously was a lie.

Again this isn't so much about Epic but about how Apple (and others) run their platforms. Obviously Apple is abusing their power and we can only hope it leads to changes and enormous fines.

It's Epic who claims that once Apple "banned" Epic's membership, they'll no longer be able to "maintain Unreal engine" on iOS. This is of course not entirely true, because they only need the membership to upload new version of their games, but not providing new version of engines to other vendors.
Unless there's evidence that Apple is considering explicitly banning Unreal engine on App Store, I'd say this is just another attempt by Epic Games to play victim here.

My understanding is that Apple informed Epic they'll cancel their developer account on the 28th. I don't see why Epic would make that up.

I'm not saying it's false, I'm just saying by "canceling their developer account" does not mean they can't continue developing Unreal engine for third parties, thus this "other apps using Unreal Engine will also be banned" is not true.

It's Epic who claims that once Apple "banned" Epic's membership, they'll no longer be able to "maintain Unreal engine" on iOS. This is of course not entirely true, because they only need the membership to upload new version of their games, but not providing new version of engines to other vendors.
Unless there's evidence that Apple is considering explicitly banning Unreal engine on App Store, I'd say this is just another attempt by Epic Games to play victim here.
You need a developer account to deploy any app to any iOS device. Publishing to App Store is irrelevant.

Developing a game engine without being to test it on the target platform is problematic.

You need a developer account to deploy any app to any iOS device. Publishing to App Store is irrelevant.

Yes, but you don't need to deploy an app if all you do is just developing an engine for third parties. You no longer have to pay Apple the $99 annual fee if all you want is just to run your app on your own devices. It's those third parties' job to deploy the app (and thus they need their developer account).
Epic Games seem to paint this "canceling developer account" as "will make Epic Games unable to continue developing Unreal Engine" but it's not entirely true.
Of course, I'm sure that Apple currently has some special developing relationship with Epic Games for some unreleased features in iOS, but it's natural you'll want to terminate these relationships if you are being sued.

You no longer have to pay Apple the $99 annual fee if all you want is just to run your app on your own devices.
Not sure if you understood - yes you need to pay for the dev account to run any app on any device. Xcode will literally not run anything on your device unless it's tied to a developer account. Deploying here means transferring the app to your device.

Not sure if you understood - yes you need to pay for the dev account to run any app on any device. Xcode will literally not run anything on your device unless it's tied to a developer account. Deploying here means transferring the app to your device.

No, it's no longer the case for a few years. You can use free account to run apps on your own devices now.

No, it's no longer the case for a few years. You can use free account to run apps on your own devices now.
Ok you're right about the paid part, but you still need the account to deploy. In Epic's case those accounts would be banned - and Apple could just ban any new accounts they would make.

Ok you're right about the paid part, but you still need the account to deploy. In Epic's case those accounts would be banned - and Apple could just ban any new accounts they would make.

Of course, but it's far from certain. Furthermore, since you only need an Apple ID to get a free developer account, it'd be very difficult for Apple to actually ban all possible use by Epic Games.
Anyway, the suggestion that Apple is considering "banning" all games based on Unreal engine is wrong and should be treated as FUD.

Back