Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
As described, they weren't taking home devkits. The XSX needed to go home in a tower PC/Subwoofer. Lockhart in One S/X, which is one reason the the Series S is assumed to be flat and smaller than the One.

The point is the XSX is supported by a flat form factor. There is nothing to say XSS can’t support a flat and cube format. If we are talking about “cases” meant to disguise the hardware and protect the nature of the form factor then a flat case would suffice.

However, I’m not sure if the info given is referring to boxes and not cases because I’m doubtful that MS would require employees to roll their own case setups to take the Lockhart home. It’s not like Xbox hardware or form factors are plug and play in nature like a PC. If the staff were asked to use a PC/subwoofer/XOS/XOX boxes to disguise the units then it would make sense that that would indicate the shape of the form factor.

Notice how sony keeps the same design language on their products

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-tINnZqLUA.../fkrIW-1E_UM/s1600/PS3-Comparison-576x300.png

PS3's all have that rounded hump on top and the two layer approach with the over hang .

Which itself is a design cue from the ps2
hqdefault.jpg

Notice the over lap vs the bottom and that weird grill front design.

The ps4s all look very similar also
http://innov8tiv.com/wp-content/upl...original-vs.-PS4-Slim-vs.-PS4-Pro-750x400.jpg

You can see this on the xbox side really

https://o.aolcdn.com/images/dims?th...ture=b2dfcd2d7cb8e3eba4c3d201dba07941f4cad2f2

the 360 kept that inhaled look even with the shrink and the switch to a single 80nm fan

and its not as pronounced but
https://images.eurogamer.net/2016/usgamer/xbox-one-s-spot-4.jpg

the one vs the s keeps the same change in material from the left to the right

So I think the xbox series s will look like the xsx

Which itself is a design cue from the ps2

I actually like the PS2 Fat's design, it was (and still is) high tech looking. With the PS5 it's a love & hate design to me, it looks kinda menacing and it has that sturdy heavy feel to it. Almost like a higher end pc case. Not even close to a Cosmos though :)

We already knew they would be keeping One S around so i don't get how we get from this to Lockhart not being a thing? :p
The leaked packaging goes like this:

Does not make much sense to put the S there if it's talking about the One S.

What if MS was branding the "Series S" as actually Xbox One S V2? I've definitely heard crazier things and it actually kinda makes sense, although admittedly a pretty big long shot..

Almost like how Apple doesn't change the name of the iPad, they just boost the underlying specs.

Under this idea Series X would be more differentiated, the "new" thing. And Series S would be even more of an afterthought. The "XBox One S" would just stay on store shelves at 299 and get a major hardware boost under the hood.

I actually think this idea is pretty compelling, however wildly speculative.

And that way they can stealth drop it, with the massively improved hardware. :cool:

But confusing as all get out for consumers. "Hey, why doesn't my One S perform like your One S?"

I actually like the PS2 Fat's design, it was (and still is) high tech looking. With the PS5 it's a love & hate design to me, it looks kinda menacing and it has that sturdy heavy feel to it. Almost like a higher end pc case. Not even close to a Cosmos though :)

I always liked the top loader designs like the genesis/mega drive , the snes and n64 and then the saturn and dreamcast

The circle hump on the genesis kinda looked like a cd top loader from the saturn and dreamcast

https://img0.etsystatic.com/123/2/11504322/il_fullxfull.908785244_qb5r.jpg
https://bensgamezone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/saturn-console.png
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/SIe...ads/chorus_image/image/17531645/capture.0.jpg

1440P 60 FPS "performance target". Half the pixels with 1/3 the GPU performance. Huh.
well it looks like it has a lot less memory 10 vs 16 (prolly ~9 vs ~15 when OS stuff is removed) thus assets are gonna have to be lower quality, which will improve speed somewhat

What if MS was branding the "Series S" as actually Xbox One S V2? I've definitely heard crazier things and it actually kinda makes sense, although admittedly a pretty big long shot..

Almost like how Apple doesn't change the name of the iPad, they just boost the underlying specs.

Under this idea Series X would be more differentiated, the "new" thing. And Series S would be even more of an afterthought. The "XBox One S" would just stay on store shelves at 299 and get a major hardware boost under the hood.

I actually think this idea is pretty compelling, however wildly speculative.

The whole branding thing is very interesting. MS are in danger of getting into a bit of a mess, so I've also been trying to think of how Lockhart can fit in make a name for itself without muddying the brand waters.

Best I can come up with is ... [drumroll] ... "Series X Mini"!

No additional branding, you get to play on the commonality with Series X proper without detracting from its halo, there's no confusion between the big black monster and the little white box, the name tells you exactly what to expect with no shame, and you actually start to make its difference almost 'cool' instead of just being a more affordable "also ran".

"I couldn't afford the Series X so I went for the plain sauce version" "Man I love that little thing can you believe it's faster than the X1X haha no seriously this is the one I wanted seriously."

Okay if "Series X Mini" doesn't make the cut I'm out of ideas.

Xbox Series X Mini would more likely be the Xbox Series S Plus or SE. I'm expecting the Series X line to stay as their flagship & the next one would be more performant than the current Series X. Basically, they could keep the same size & make it faster. Yeah, they could go smaller, but then it most likely wouldn't be faster. The next Series S would most likely be smaller/cheaper to penetrate the low end. Basically buy the latest Series X if you want the fastest. And buy the Series S if you want the cheapest. Which was how the Xbox One lineup worked too.

Tommy McClain

The point is the XSX is supported by a flat form factor. There is nothing to say XSS can’t support a flat and cube format. If we are talking about “cases” meant to disguise the hardware and protect the nature of the form factor then a flat case would suffice.

However, I’m not sure if the info given is referring to boxes and not cases because I’m doubtful that MS would require employees to roll their own case setups to take the Lockhart home. It’s not like Xbox hardware or form factors are plug and play in nature like a PC. If the staff were asked to use a PC/subwoofer/XOS/XOX boxes to disguise the units then it would make sense that that would indicate the shape of the form factor.

The tower allows for great cooling efficiency. If you look at PS5 dev kits, they’re all horizontal, and allegedly had a lot of heat issues. Allegedly the tower form factor was a very late in the game design change by Sony. So while it CAN go horizontal, it would require a drastic cooling overhaul and likely increase. With the tower they can get some tremendous pressure going for maximum blow with minimal equipment. I’m guessing marketing also likes it because it’s different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back