Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might try to visualize it like this.

You have 2 18 wheeler trucks with cargo that will go down the same road, a road will goes up-hill or down hill or flat out.

The first truck has it's speed controlled by the cruise control, the cruise control will always make this truck drive up and down and flat hills always at 60 mph, that means cruise control will add more gas going up hill to maintain this speed and reduce gas to maintain this speed downhill. It can never go all out in terms of speed, but it never falters under load. This is Xbox Series X.

The second truck has it's gas throttle locked. That means, when it goes uphill, you can't add more gas to keep your speed the same so you will go slower but when you go downhill your truck will go quicker, and when your on flat you're going out as hard as your throttle allows you. So that means the PS5 can run at say 75mph but it will run slower than 75mph on the uphill. This is PS5.

The steepness or grade of the hill is the activity level.
The length of the uphill is the load, how long it needs to do it for.
The RPM is how hot your engine is running and you can blow it if you keep forcing the RPM into redline (ie, a very heavy load 60mph steep incline requires full gas at all times)
Thanks, I appreciate the dumbing down and can easily understand what you’re saying, but to me it is counter to what Cerny is describing. The point was that all PS5s will act the same no matter where you are right? You’re suggesting a PS5 in a hot country will fluctuate like hell and a cool country have a much smoother ride?

Here is my attempt for visualization. Stone crusher drums. The XSX is a 52 inch wide drum spinning at 1850 RPM. The PS5 is a 36 inch wide drum spinning at 2230 RPM. (I do not know the clock speed of PS5 when not under load but let's go for this). When stones comes on the conveyor belt (game code) and the stones are few and small, both will crush through the stones easy with the PS5 a little quicker. When many large stones comes (heavy game code) the stones will spread out on the wider XSX drum and it will crush through quicker and the PS5 will have to lower the speed of the drum a bit to not exceed the available power of the drum engine to crush through the stones a little slower. I guess there are some flaws here, but that's my visualization. Feel free to crush it down:LOL:

You’re suggesting a PS5 in a hot country will fluctuate like hell and a cool country have a much smoother ride?

I don't know what Iroboto is suggesting but the way I understand it no the performance won't fluctuate. If the machine gets to hot it will shutdown like the PS4 does now.

The clock isn't dictated by the temperature but the actual usage.

Here is my attempt for visualization. Stone crusher drums. The XSX is a 52 inch wide drum spinning at 1850 RPM. The PS5 is a 36 inch wide drum spinning at 2230 RPM. (I do not know the clock speed of PS5 when not under load but let's go for this). When stones comes on the conveyor belt (game code) and the stones are few and small, both will crush through the stones easy with the PS5 a little quicker. When many large stones comes (heavy game code) the stones will spread out on the wider XSX drum and it will crush through quicker and the PS5 will have to lower the speed of the drum a bit to not exceed the available power of the drum engine to crush through the stones a little slower. I guess there are some flaws here, but that's my visualization. Feel free to crush it down:LOL:

Why reduce speed a bit? The guy who created the stone crusher claims there is enough power for it not to happen.

Why reduce speed a bit? The guy who created the stone crusher claims there is enough power for it not to happen.
That is not possible with a fixed power budget, in this case available current for the electric drum engine. When the stones are pushing heavy load for the drum something have to give. Either blow a fuse or reduce drum speed.

Can anyone decipher what all the audio hardware stuff they talked about at Hotchips means? I don't know anything about audio so all I can gather is that, yes, there's dedicated audio hardware.
They already said that there is additional audio hardware like in every xbox before. But don't expect wonders about audio hardware. I really don't know why cerny made such a fuzz about that. Audio acceleration is really really old and there is not that much more you can do to make it better, because it is heavily depended on your audio setup. To many sound sources -> to much noise, so there is a limit of what you can do with it.
But even though consoles at least since xb360 and ps3 had both audio hardware on board, most times the teams use the cpu for it. It is not very cpu intensive what is done in games with the audio.

Audio acceleration is really really old and there is not that much more you can do to make it better, because it is heavily depended on your audio setup. To many sound sources -> to much noise, so there is a limit of what you can do with it.

I disagree, there's a lot more that can be done with audio and spatial audio will have a big impact on games and all it needs is a stereo headset.

I think Cerny used the phrase most the time. There's definitely going to be times when the GPU doesn't run at it's max, that's the whole point of the design decision behind the PS5.

I disagree, there's a lot more that can be done with audio and spatial audio will have a big impact on games and all it needs is a stereo headset.
That is a bit offtopic, but for many people stereo headset -> virtual 3d Audio does just not work. Also many people don't want to use headsets. They use their TV speakers, a soundbar, a x.1 System ...
It is such diverse. Yes spatial audio is accelerated even by the xbox one (which also supports the dolby standard via headphones). But there is no big gain here to heavily invest into this. As I said, audio acceleration is really, really old. E.g. my x-fi sound card can do the virtual 3d sound via stereo headset but over time the soundcard became just more or less a "dongle" because nowadays it is just software that runs on the cpu without a big impact on it.

I don't know what Iroboto is suggesting but the way I understand it no the performance won't fluctuate. If the machine gets to hot it will shutdown like the PS4 does now.

The clock isn't dictated by the temperature but the actual usage.
Which again contradicts Cerny.

Please lets forget about clock speeds in PS5 as a term of comparison. Although you cannot separate Mhz from the TBP equation, you can chose what determines available performance.

Sony chose their system to be limited by watts, so the reliable metric is to say "PS5 runs at 250watts" or "PS5 does X amount of work for 250watts" VS "XSX does X

The argument of PS5 vs XSX became one of which is most efficient for the hardware it has.

We have been over this already!

That is a bit offtopic, but for many people stereo headset -> virtual 3d Audio does just not work. Also many people don't want to use headsets. They use their TV speakers, a soundbar, a x.1 System ...
It is such diverse. Yes spatial audio is accelerated even by the xbox one (which also supports the dolby standard via headphones). But there is no big gain here to heavily invest into this. As I said, audio acceleration is really, really old. E.g. my x-fi sound card can do the virtual 3d sound via stereo headset but over time the soundcard became just more or less a "dongle" because nowadays it is just software that runs on the cpu without a big impact on it.
Binaural audio is a game changer - as Cerny said, being able to pinpoint where sound is coming from really helps the immersion, imagine games where you’re hiding and can hear where the enemy is - or an online shooter and you can hear someone creeping up on you.

Binaural audio is a game changer - as Cerny said, being able to pinpoint where sound is coming from really helps the immersion, imagine games where you’re hiding and can hear where the enemy is - or an online shooter and you can hear someone creeping up on you.

I keep reading that, but I am not able to imagine it. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.

That worked with creative sound-cards for ages. Nothing really new. On a stereo headset you can here a sneaking player behind you (since battlefield 2).
And again, this only applies for stereo headsets. This does not work very good with 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, ...
Yes, you can make more calculations now, but like e.g. Dolby expressed, more sources is not better. At a certain point, it just creates more noise.
Audio processing is not like graphics processing where you can scale almost without limits. In the end, there is really not much more to gain. Only under very specific circumstances.
Even MS tried with kinect 2 scanning your room to make your audio entertainment better (and also used the mic in kinect to test the settings). In the end, it didn't do much. Audio output is really heavily depended on the audio setup and the person which uses it. Adding much more processing time into this is more or less a waste of time and in the end, game developers will use the cpu (like in all generations before even if there was audio hardware).

Last edited:

Just to add to that. Most of the time the crushers would be crushing stones, which the hardware can do at max speed without issues. Once in a while there will be orders to crush diamonds, and in that case the speed may be turned down to compensate for the increased stress.

I keep reading that, but I am not able to imagine it. I guess the proof will be in the pudding.
play some PSVR - or even better just get some headphones and try some YouTube videos

That worked with creative sound-cards for ages. Nothing really new. On a stereo headset you can here a sneaking player behind you (since battlefield 2).
And again, this only applies for stereo headsets. This does not work very good with 2.1, 5.1, 7.1, ...
Yes, you can make more calculations now, but like e.g. Dolby expressed, more sources is not better. At a certain point, it just creates more noise.
Audio processing is not like graphics processing where you can scale almost without limits. In the end, there is really not much more to gain. Only under very specific circumstances.
Even MS tried with kinect 2 scanning your room to make your audio entertainment better (and also used the mic in kinect to test the settings). In the end, it didn't do much. Audio output is really heavily depended on the audio setup and the person which uses it. Adding much more processing time into this is more or less a waste of time and in the end, game developers will use the cpu (like in all generations before even if there was audio hardware).
It’s not the same, try some YouTube’s - and in a game the audio moves with your head/view

There’s your problem, you’re reading about it not hearing about it....

.... Sorry I’ll let myself out
Funny but true

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back