Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

Update: i can finally stream again. I figured it was just growing pains although it was a little odd since I've been in the beta since day 1 and used it plenty but that's what betas are for.

For folks using xCloud on smaller screens, how are the game UI?s I recall this was an issue with remote play of PS4 games on Vita and even some Switch games have UIs way to small for my older eyes in portable mode. Are Microsoft providing some clever UI scaling on the UI overlay?

For folks using xCloud on smaller screens, how are the game UI?s I recall this was an issue with remote play of PS4 games on Vita and even some Switch games have UIs way to small for my older eyes in portable mode. Are Microsoft providing some clever UI scaling on the UI overlay?

Haven't played a lot because my Internet hasn't been great, but it looks the same just scaled to the smaller screen. Though I did try touch controls on Hellbade & it was neat. Tried looking for GIFs for that, but only found one for touch controls on Gears 5...

gears5touchcontrols.0.gif

I suspect we might not see different UIs until games are made with xCloud in mind. They do have SDK support for that. Probably see it more next year.

Tommy McClain

Haven't played a lot because my Internet hasn't been great, but it looks the same just scaled to the smaller screen. Though I did try touch controls on Hellbade & it was neat. Tried looking for GIFs for that, but only found one for touch controls on Gears 5...

gears5touchcontrols.0.gif

I suspect we might not see different UIs until games are made with xCloud in mind. They do have SDK support for that. Probably see it more next year.

Tommy McClain
I thought the gears 5 xcloud UI was going to be released day and date'ish with xcloud.
Xcloud still not "released" yet.
Think hell blade also, can't remember if it's day and date also though.

I thought the gears 5 xcloud UI was going to be released day and date'ish with xcloud.
Xcloud still not "released" yet.
Think hell blade also, can't remember if it's day and date also though.

They haven't confirmed Gears & Hellblade touch controls for xCloud release. I would suspect they would, but that's not until September 15. So there's still time to announce it.

Tommy McClain

They haven't confirmed Gears & Hellblade touch controls for xCloud release. I would suspect they would, but that's not until September 15. So there's still time to announce it.

Tommy McClain
Definitely confirmed gears 5 for release, hell blade is coming also but I'm not sure on timeline.

Think it was on their xcloud dev update recently.

I know the 2 games are on xcloud beta, but Microsoft never confirmed touch controls coming on launch on news.xbox.com. I did find them talking about they may be available in September via their Game Stack Live presentation on August 3.

Tommy McClain

I know the 2 games are on xcloud beta, but Microsoft never confirmed touch controls coming on launch on news.xbox.com. I did find them talking about they may be available in September via their Game Stack Live presentation on August 3.

Tommy McClain
Thanks, that's what I was on about.

In vid at 35min in mentions hell blade getting touch controls "soon" I believe.
45min mentions should start to see in the xcloud preview but to really expect it in sept.think it was still in relation to gears 5 as that's the one they seemed to have work closest with and most advanced etc

Sorry if times not exact, I'm skimming and phone playing up.

interesting because hellblade was the first to get touch control on 7/2 for internal preview and gears 5 was 7/22 for internal preview. Dunno if its public or not but last week astroneer , golf with friends , grounded , halo spartan assault , streets of rage 4 , untiled goose game and wasteland remastered also went up to play

Minecraft dugeons just got touch support for internal preview

interesting to note that you need a controller to navigate inventory and menus. Looks like full touch is coming with some update.

Last edited:
xCloud(Samsung? phone with Razer Kishi) vs Nintendo Switch. Games tested are Ori & the Blind Forest, Streets of Rage 4 & Untitled Goose Game.

I've asked what exact phone he is used, but haven't seen a reply. But doesn't look he replies to any of his comments. :/

Tommy McClain

At this day I've been able to successfully launch Senua just one time, and when she reached the beach, the video freezed as usual.

xCloud(Samsung? phone with Razer Kishi) vs Nintendo Switch. Games tested are Ori & the Blind Forest, Streets of Rage 4 & Untitled Goose Game.

I've asked what exact phone he is used, but haven't seen a reply. But doesn't look he replies to any of his comments. :/

Tommy McClain

I've been using it with a One Plus 7 Pro running in 90hz mode.

Chipset Qualcomm SM8150 Snapdragon 855 (7 nm)
CPU Octa-core (1x2.84 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.78 GHz Kryo 485)
GPU Adreno 640

I have the 256 GB variant. So far it runs like a dream on T-Mobile 4G and since this a last year chipset I anticipate it performing even better going forward. i did not notice any lag with the controller over Bluetooth; if the Kenshi tests well i may pick one up and just use this phone as a game box once I retire it.

Got xCloud running on my Chromebook finally. Not currently playable as I'm a getting green screen refresh problem that makes it unplayable. Officially Chrome OS(as well as any other modified, alternate, or emulated versions of Android OS) is not supported though. Submitted feedback but doubt it gets looked into. Guess I need another Android phone or tablet. Any suggestions in the 6"-8" size? Needs to be super cheap since it will be just a xCloud device & not replace my phone.

Tommy McClain

Got xCloud running on my Chromebook finally. Not currently playable as I'm a getting green screen refresh problem that makes it unplayable. Officially Chrome OS(as well as any other modified, alternate, or emulated versions of Android OS) is not supported though. Submitted feedback but doubt it gets looked into. Guess I need another Android phone or tablet. Any suggestions in the 6"-8" size? Needs to be super cheap since it will be just a xCloud device & not replace my phone.

Tommy McClain

have you looked into the fire tablets ?

https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-HD-8-Tablet/dp/B07WHNNNNY/ref=sxin_7_osp130-1b7473c1_cov?ascsubtag=amzn1.osa.1b7473c1-3b77-4296-bfa7-938d7672107d.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&creativeASIN=B07TMJ1R3X&cv_ct_cx=fire+hd+8&cv_ct_id=amzn1.osa.1b7473c1-3b77-4296-bfa7-938d7672107d.ATVPDKIKX0DER.en_US&cv_ct_pg=search&cv_ct_wn=osp-search&dchild=1&keywords=fire+hd+8&linkCode=oas&pd_rd_i=B07TMJ1R3X&pd_rd_r=f32be53b-5716-4483-8c74-7da1bde9e60f&pd_rd_w=BjVTp&pd_rd_wg=M8wXd&pf_rd_p=79c5f4d6-6742-428d-a62d-f685f4424072&pf_rd_r=NHSEG87N7W0SZPZVKTYM&qid=1598416630&sr=1-1-de57425f-66ba-49f3-b4eb-c40b8faa6fa9&tag=amazondevic0f-20&th=1

I have an older fire hd 10 that xcloud worked on. I haven't tried in it a while but i can check tomorrow if you want. They are good tablets for the money. Its not a 1080p screen however just 800p. If you wait till labor day they will most likely be on sale

I have two 7" Kids Edition tablets that my kids use, but not sure I would buy one for myself. I want Android 10 pre-installed not Amazon's Fire OS. I've seen where you can root it & get Google Play & regular Android OS on it but I don't want to mess with that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wished MS made this prototype tablet controller they worked on. Then I wouldn't need a controller clip/mount.

28557.jpg

Tommy McClain

Back