Xbox Series S [XBSS] (Lockhart) General Rumors and Speculation *spawn*

Status
Not open for further replies.
With PS2 and OG Xbox, resolutions were typically around the 640 x 448 range, and that was true across the generation.

Looking back to PS360, resolutions started off at around 720p and more or less stayed there for the whole generation.

With PS4, 1080p was the norm and it's stayed there, with X1 targetting 1080 ~ 900 and remaining there too more or less.

Things may be a little more complicated now with reconstruction techniques coming into the mix, and perhaps even some form of ML upscaling. But the actual post-reconstruction output of whatever system you use ... well I think we'll know within a year or two what the typical ranges are going to be. And I think they'll mostly stay in that range, whatever it is.

So far we're seeing a lot of 4K targets, but it's very early days and there's a lot of cross gen games. I think we're more likely to see frame rates drop to 30 than see XSX target output (after reconstruction) drop to 1440p. And while LH is only about 33% of SXS, it's about 40% of the PS5. Perhaps a bit more in practice if PS5 doesn't have VRS. If the PS5 is rendering buffers in the 1800 ~ 1440p range and upscaling / reconstructing from there, I think Lockhart will be fine upscaling / reconstructing from wherever its buffers end up.

I always assumed this was a different product with different components. Hmm, so the same dual mobo set up just with different orientation of components?

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same southbridge board, but I'm expecting a different mainboard. Rumors have been consistent with a flat case design & fitting inside a XB1S or XB1X case.

Tommy McClain

I wouldn't be surprised if they use the same southbridge board, but I'm expecting a different mainboard. Rumors have been consistent with a flat case design & fitting inside a XB1S or XB1X case.

Tommy McClain

Why would they bother retaining the seperate southbridge board? They have to have a unique main board. I'm assuming the cheaper option is to make that a bit bigger and include the southbridge rather than pay for the interconnects between two boards.

Why would they bother retaining the seperate southbridge board? They have to have a unique main board. I'm assuming the cheaper option is to make that a bit bigger and include the southbridge rather than pay for the interconnects between two boards.

My point was IF they were going to reuse the Series X boards, the South ridge made the most sense. Me personally, I don't think they will reuse it now that we know it's a different form factor.

Tommy

Know or speculate? What did I miss? I assumed it would be smaller.

Go back & find some of the posts. Microsoft employees were told to use XB1S & XB1X cases to disguise Lockhart for take home tests. The 'flat' rumor was from last December.

Tommy McClain

Know or speculate? What did I miss? I assumed it would be smaller.

I think there was a leak at some point on how employees with early hardware units could disguise what they were taking home. For Lockhart they said having it inside a OneS or OneX shell.

Also a few other things like "its flat" from long ago.

Hard to remember exactly.

I think there was a leak at some point on how employees with early hardware units could disguise what they were taking home. For Lockhart they said having it inside a OneS or OneX shell.
Oh yeah, I recall! :yes:

For the PS2 they where typically below that, something like 520x420 interlaced.

Early on there were a lot of games around the 512 x 224 area (leading to some horrible jaggies when frames were missed), but that was mainly due to managing the small amount of edram iirc. Later on games tended to be full height, and I think many moved to 640 horizontal. But if anything, this is evidence of resolution increasing rather than dropping. There were also a couple of 1024 x 720 Xbox games later on that used component to give a pretty close to "HD" image.

Interestingly, there was a PS2 game - one of the Gran Tourismos iirc - that had a mode where it used a 640 x 540 buffer. By using each pixel horizontally 3 times during video output, and interlacing the pixels vertically, they were able to claim a ...sort of ... 1080i output. Never saw it in person, but pretty clever really.

Anyway, if target output resolutions (after reconstruction etc) are going to drop radically as next gen goes on, it's going to be a first.

So on Era there's a post about a Xbox One S V2 showing up in target inventory system on a placeholder. Noone knows what this is. People even speculating this could go with the "S" reference on the white controller.

Which was basically the only real evidence for a lockhart release.

So lockhart being a no go could be back on.

BTW 299 would likely be placeholder price only on whatever this is.

So on Era there's a post about a Xbox One S V2 showing up in target inventory system on a placeholder. Noone knows what this is. People even speculating this could go with the "S" reference on the white controller.

Which was basically the only real evidence for a lockhart release.

So lockhart being a no go could be back on.

BTW 299 would likely be placeholder price only on whatever this is.
We already knew they would be keeping One S around so i don't get how we get from this to Lockhart not being a thing? :p
The leaked packaging goes like this:

Leaked Packaging said:
Series X|S
Xbox One
Windows 10
Android
iOS

Does not make much sense to put the S there if it's talking about the One S.

Last edited:
The V 2 sounds like a device used by an alien invading race...

Go back & find some of the posts. Microsoft employees were told to use XB1S & XB1X cases to disguise Lockhart for take home tests. The 'flat' rumor was from last December.
Tommy McClain

The XSX dev kits are flat.

turnfq9i71n41.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back