Sony PS6, Microsoft neXt Series - 10th gen console speculation [2020]

What would be the reason for refresh consoles this upcoming gen? It was due to the adoption of 4k TVs this past gen.
I would not say no to a big boost in raytracing capability [the rest of the hardware getting a sensible upgrade or just better clocks].

I do not understand why Microsoft have such a hard time selling consoles to people. Is if because of Windows 95, Windows ME and Windows Vista and Windows 8? Because if so, it's time to let that grudge go!

They did mighty fine with the 360, because they focused on games and Sony messed up. Then MS messed up. Then they seemingly “stopped caring” about selling consoles, and here we are.

Say what you want about Sony and MS, but ultimately... How do you go from a user base of 80-90 million to around 40 million? By being out of touch with what console gamers want, that’s how.

I did during Windows 3.1/DOS, Windows 95, Windows NT 3.51 & 4. I have no bad feelings at all with Microsoft for any of those.

Tommy McClain
I was still supporting NT4 in the late 2000s, joking as the major frustration with Me was how many printer drivers it broke for being an over blown SR for 98SE with a Win2000 icon pack slapped on top, Dell tech support was a wasteland for months. Honestly Windows since 2000 has been fine the problems I had were customers who wouldn't accept their 5 year old gold image could maybe do with an update.

I'd say how long this "generation" lasts will depend on how quickly RT acceleration progresses on PC.

Both PS5 and XBSX basically have gen1 RT or gen 1.5 if we're generous. It's entirely possible that we may see large, potentially massive, advancements WRT hardware accelerated RT in the next 3-4 years. If that happens, at the very least MS will release an updated machine. And if the advancements truly are large, then if Sony didn't also release a new machine their titles would potentially look pretty bad in comparison.

If RT doesn't advance in a big way in the next 3-4 years we may see the "generation" go longer with MS potentially releasing a updated XBSX-X(?) but Sony may skip that and instead release in 7-10 years.

Regards,
SB

Native resolutions will never be important again. It will be about the density of the worlds devs can create, with significant use of ray tracing in some next-gen Ray+Raster rendering

This is already the case to a degree regarding density and variety of worlds.

Didn't Sony recently release a patent for a dual-SoC console?

I'd say that seems like plans for a PS5 Pro console are well under way, regardless if they end up using SoCs, chiplets or a larger monolithic design.

Both PS5 and XBSX basically have gen1 RT or gen 1.5 if we're generous. It's entirely possible that we may see large, potentially massive, advancements WRT hardware accelerated RT in the next 3-4 years. If that happens, at the very least MS will release an updated machine. And if the advancements truly are large, then if Sony didn't also release a new machine their titles would potentially look pretty bad in comparison.

I agree to the sentiment in principal but I think the of us who are multiplatform gamers (console and PC) often forget that visuals are not an issue for the majority of the console-owning username who are still buying 2013-spec PS4 Slim and One X consoles and who went through most of last gen with sub-HD, sub-30 frame rates. Based on what we know from PS4 Pro sales, and glean for probably One X sales, the people who really do appreciate better visual fidelity represents around 20-25% of the console user base.

RT would have to offer massive gains for any visual disparity to sway people, I mean SM2.0 vs SM3.x differences.

Back