Evidently, Crysis is coming back [2020]

What is all this whining? I am pretty sure none of the actual gameplay looks worse. Looks better to me. As for the cutscenes, who cares.

And now it got delayed because of that whining, great! Just when there was a little something to look forward too...

People probably dont remember what Crysis actually looks like (first person to post a mod and pretend it's regular Crysis gets a boo).

Probably because the game is worse graphically than it was when it released?

While the gameplay is likely close enough to be roughly the same, the graphics are significantly worse.

And for a game that was unsurpassed in the graphics department for many many many years, that's not something that people find acceptable.

Regards,
SB

But does it look worse than PS360 Crysis? Isn't that all we console gamers know? ;)

I think it's clear that it's no modern overhaul though. It's more like Bioshock Remastered. They tweaked some things and maybe "remastered" some stuffs but it's basically just another re-release.

Last edited:
I watched the trailer and didn't really think much about it at first, felt what you could expect from a Remaster. Seeing comparisons though, I can see where people are coming from, there's definitely a different theme to the graphics, mainly boiling down to a much darker and muted look in the original Crysis, whereas the Remaster looks brighter and colours on the whole seem more pronounced.

But I was begging for a CE3 port of Crysis 1 so it finally could be played at 60+ FPS already back when it was released for the 360. Crysis 1 symbolized the worst part of PC gaming for me at the time, where you had that super demanding game that was being marketed as being made for future hardware, yet scaled like shit because multicore support was still at its infancy. And many of the DX10 only settings were artificially locked out from DX9 but could easily be changed manually.

The fact this is being ported to Switch makes me want to get a switch just for the idea of "zomg, Crysis in my hand! Teh technologies!".

Even though I dont actually like Crysis very much.

Probably because the game is worse graphically than it was when it released?

While the gameplay is likely close enough to be roughly the same, the graphics are significantly worse.

Regards,
SB

I didn't see that at all. Gameplay looks better to me. The cutscenes looked a little off, that's probably what people are basing this nonsense on.

What exactly do you mean about worse graphics, comparing gameplay to gameplay? No potentially modded PC footage...

I very doubt it's even realistically possible for them to release a worse looking version, how would they do that? All they're going to do is use the original code in main, and maybe improve a few things.

New screenshot shows nanosuit in remastered version: https://www.dsogaming.com/screenshot-news/crytek-shares-new-crysis-remastered-8k-screenshot-showcasing-the-remastered-nanosuit/
ocN0HeF.jpg

hm...
https://docs.cryengine.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=25535599

• First we prepare voxel representation of the scene geometry (at run-time, on CPU, asynchronously and incrementally).
  • Every frame on GPU we trace thousands of rays through the voxels (and shadow maps) in order to gather occlusion and indirect lighting.

The performance depends on which GI settings are used. Usually on Xbox One it takes 3-4 ms of GPU time and on an average PC it takes 2-3 ms (AO + Sun bounce, no point lights, low-spec mode). The fastest configuration is AO only mode; this provides large scale AO at a cost of less than 2 ms on Xbox One.

Never played Crysis. Is it time to jump in with the One X? Or wait for the Series X?

Tommy McClain
If you've waited 13 years, another couple months shouldn't be too bad. :p There's no word on next-gen enchantment, though I guess it would just run boosted BC at least?

I just don't know what I think about it. It looks like putting your TV on vivid mode.

I think the only way I would get pumped about this is if it was a "re-imagining" instead of this remaster nonsense. Then it would actually offer something new beyond the looks.

Last edited:
Back