Current Generation Hardware Speculation with a Technical Spin [post GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Status
Not open for further replies.
No change is free, but when a change is 800% more power efficient than another, then you can't use transistor states changes as a metric.
That wouldn't have an effect on what we're discussing here because we're not comparing 2 separate chips or rendering paths.

The only difference here is power levels for a given workload, and the associated clock speed of it. The fixed function primitive engine is incapable of producing pixel triangles, it would stall out attempting to do run UE5 through it's FF pipeline.

Epic has already clarified that it's running both lighting and geometry through compute shaders, so the hardware requirements are the same regardless. Compute Shaders can saturate CUs very well which represent a majority of the die size of the chip. The ask is whether more denser geometry or less dense geometry will increase power, but that becomes a discussion with how the primitive engine works.

If you attempted to run UE5 using standard rendering path the power output would be nearly 0. The system would stall out completely waiting and you'd be lucky to get 1 fps. Simpler geometry runs faster because ROPS are designed to issue 1 triangle for every 16 pixels, 2 triangles per clock at peak performance per shader engine. If you get more dense that than, your triangle output drops rapidly, quickly becoming a bottleneck for the rest of the pipeline. At 1 triangle per 4 pixels it will definitely bit a severe performance deficit so much so that no amount of clockspeed will be able to make up for this loss soon enough. At 2 pixel triangles or 1 pixel triangles or sub pixel triangles, the GPU is going to quick approach unusable. When you push the limits of the dense geometry in this way it becomes the bottleneck for everything else, and everything else will run slower as a result waiting.

This won't be the case for running the entire pipeline through compute shaders.

I provided a graph of triangle/pixel performance here: If geometric density means approaching 1:1 triangle/pixel density. You can see how quickly the performance drops off. Thus more dense geometry means worse performance for the whole pipeline.
tile(8,8) is already 1/2 the performance of tile (16,16), and tile(4,4) is nearly 8x worse and completely falls of a cliff afterwards.
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2125567/

If you are doing everything through compute shaders, well then the hardware is the same, more clockspeed for the same workload will invariably mean more power consumption.

Last edited:
That wouldn't have an effect on what we're discussing here because we're not comparing 2 separate chips or rendering paths.

You're focussed on changing states again, the power consumed by transistor state changes is a fraction of the power used by the given IC in total. And over any given period, a change of state can result in a net saving of power. This is why when you look at the arrangement and design of complex logic gates in CPUs and GPUs, they look sub-optimal.

Do all games with menus or maps ramp up the power consumption?
HZD maps, No Mans Sky menus. I think it’s more because they’re rendering on top of (in addition to) the main game view. The devs don’t lower the game’s framerate or resolution or pause the game to compensate, they just add the additional rendering load of (sometimes semi-transparent) menus. I should hope rendering a map, no matter how hilly, would be faster than rendering gameplay.

I’ve also read that the menus/maps may not be vsynced or framerate capped while the game is, but that makes less sense to me...

...however, Gran Turismo Sport is an outlier in that just browsing the daily race menus (“2D,” nothing rendering underneath) spins my Pros fans up more than in a race and as much as NMS in “4k” when it’s struggling to hit 30fps.

...however, Gran Turismo Sport is an outlier in that just browsing the daily race menus (“2D,” nothing rendering underneath) spins my Pros fans up more than in a race and as much as NMS in “4k” when it’s struggling to hit 30fps.

Doom eternal also is unfriendly to the PS4, as most 60fps titles, besides menu's like the one in fortnite.

HZD maps, No Mans Sky menus. I think it’s more because they’re rendering on top of (in addition to) the main game view. The devs don’t lower the game’s framerate or resolution or pause the game to compensate, they just add the additional rendering load of (sometimes semi-transparent) menus. I should hope rendering a map, no matter how hilly, would be faster than rendering gameplay.

I’ve also read that the menus/maps may not be vsynced or framerate capped while the game is, but that makes less sense to me...

I know it's different, because it's PC and not console, but the title screen on Dead Rising 2 would run at something ridiculous, like 800fps or something, and make my PC thermal throttle. I don't remember the actual framerate, because it was a while ago, but it's a pretty simple scene and it's more that there wasn't a framerate limit (unless you enabled it in the options) and the system was just rendering frames that were not even being used. It's completely plausible that the maps in Horizon run at an uncapped framerate, or maybe just 60 instead of the games 30, because menus that have any sort of panning or mouse style input are much less smooth at 30fps than they are at 60 or higher. If you have a PC try chaning your refresh rate to 30hz and watch you mouse scroll around, it's terrible. So maybe that's why the devs left the framerate uncapped on the map, but that uncapped framerate is likely the cause of the extra heat.

Well, another BS rumour. A tweet, an article mentioning the tweet, a journalist posting the article that mentions the tweet, now turned into 3 different sources. The amount bullshit and concern trolling is reaching levels I think I've never seen before. I guess people are salty after the Halo Infinite reveal.

qqmJkCE.jpg

edit: ignore list is such a nice feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, another BS rumour. A tweet, an article mentioning the tweet, a journalist posting the article that mentions the tweet, now turned into 3 different sources. The amount bullshit and concern trolling is reaching levels I think I've never seen before. I guess people are salty after the Halo Infinite reveal.

qqmJkCE.jpg

a lot on that list is true though.

Holy crap the word count per post is dropping fast and the shit posting is rising to meet it.

So the claims are
- AMD dynamic power stuff is proving hard to deal with
- PS5 will be more expensive than XBSX

The former I can see, it's a new paradigm and that will always introduce problems but the latter statement is news to me. What is in the PS5 but not XBSX that would make it more expensive, is it the high perf NAND?

??? Has anyone else pointed to signs the PS5 will be more expensive that XBSX?
Yea, after the road to ps5 presentation we discussed this here as a possibility on several threads/posts here if you're willing to go back in time to review it. I didn't say it would be more expensive than XSX however, just that, people should keep expectations in-check on its price point (399 PS5 at the time was the expected and 499 for XSX) given that the specs released for PS5 would likely result in a higher cost most of my posts have been blown off as concern trolling/BS though, so I don't bother with it anymore.

But yea, it's a bit concerning that both current consoles had their prices announced in June of 2013 with I believe pre-orders starting as early as July. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence that it's a price point consumers will be excited for.

And we're mid-August with a November launch with no price and no pre-order. I would have to imagine logistics being a nightmare with so little time to open pre-orders globally and ship them accordingly.

My general thought at this point in time is that if Sony knew they were definitely a cheaper product than MS, they would have announced pricing by now. They certainly have more units to move than MS and if they are trying to move 10M units by March of 2021, they should open pre-orders earlier and get their logistics sorted out for flawless launch to meet worldwide demand. I would have doubts that logistics are easier in the current political climate than they were in 2013; more time would be more beneficial than less time I would suspect.

MS is holding back waiting for Sony because they are already in a position that a more powerful console should be more expensive in the consumers eyes. The narrative is still set that XSX is more powerful, so in many respects it doesn't matter if XSX is more expensive. And well I suppose XSS is a thing now. So they have some sort of cheaper offering.

I suspect they would want to capitalize on any opportunity that if the competitors price is within range to match it or beat it, and most importantly if they can't, that they hug as close as they possibly can to PS5. Alternatively, if XSX can meet PS5 on price, they can disregard XSS altogether. Perhaps XSS was a backup plan incase the gap in price between XSX and PS5 was too large. Thus we continue to see a delay on XSS announcement.

Last edited:
- PS5 will be more expensive than XBSX

What is in the PS5 but not XBSX that would make it more expensive, is it the high perf NAND?

If only Sony provided that promised Teardown mentioned in the PS5 reveal we may have a better idea. No idea why they haven't done so yet.

Not saying any of this is true, just listing possibilities for discussion.

Starting with the obvious -- It's fecking huge.
  • Costs more to package.
  • More to ship.
  • More to stock.
  • Possibly More to fabricate?
  • More to assemble?
Slightly more expensive controller
Additional items integrated for VR support
Yields could be worse.
SOC Cooling could cost more.
NVME Cooling could cost more.
More PSU required?
More complex to set the SOC performance data for dynamic clocks to be consistent behavior?

Yeah I have been operating on the assumption that XBSX would have a greater die area than the PS5 SoC given that they appear to have more GPU according to reports and thus in my head the cost before any subsidy between PS5 and XBSX would favour PS5 and perf XBSX. Well you know what they say about assumptions, yeah we really do need that tear down but I agree that the $399 ship has sailed

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/estimate-a-bom-delta-for-ps5-and-xbsx.61646/

The BoM estimate thread!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back