Microsoft rumored to be buying...... [2020-04, 2020-07, 2020-11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not underestimate the potential rage of the internet. Just as a general rule. People do seem to lose it sometimes. Then the snowballing starts on Twitter, cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!
I didn't say there wouldn't be any. I just said I saw no reason why there would be.

Right now a big anti xbox push is the well the games are also on pc even xbox exclusive so why would I ever buy an xbox.

So it stands to reason that if MS bought a dev and made the games xbox / pc exclusive nothing would change for those people and of course xbox / pc users wouldn't be effected either... aside from maybe even more great content on game pass

1) 4 1/2 years and it will be eclipsed in user base by xcloud on its launch month. Sony needs to make some moves on the platform to continue to grow it
Given Microsoft are giving away xCloud to Game Pass ultimate subscribers, xCloud subscriber may eclipse the 2.x million PS Now paying subscribers. Actual xCloud users will be more telling - if Microsoft release any. I think Sony will move to grow PS Now when they perceive there to be both a demand, and decent profitability.

I agree. MS should seriously consider buying CD Projekt and 3-4 other studios of that caliber.

CD Project Red is publicly traded company (i.e. you can't buy it) so while Microsoft could buy shares, they are limited by monopolies regulation of how many shares they can buy because they compete in the same business - not to mention only 66.1% of the shares are floated.

Given Microsoft are giving away xCloud to Game Pass ultimate subscribers, xCloud subscriber may eclipse the 2.x million PS Now paying subscribers. Actual xCloud users will be more telling - if Microsoft release any. I think Sony will move to grow PS Now when they perceive there to be both a demand, and decent profitability.

CD Project Red is publicly traded company (i.e. you can't buy it) so while Microsoft could buy shares, they are limited by monopolies regulation of how many shares they can buy because they compete in the same business - not to mention only 66.1% of the shares are floated.

Giving away ? MS is just adding it to an existing bundle which consists of gold / game pass / xcloud together. I don't really think its being given away as you still pay for it at the end.

You can still buy a publicly traded company. Microsoft could make a purchase of CD project Red by offering a buyout price. MS could try a hostile take over. They could start buying up stock and then try and force the purchases of the remaining shares

we hear it of MS now also. This isn't the Rare and Bungie days. Obsidian is very happy with MS and other companies have been happy with them. Apparently MS lets them function on their own. MS asked Obsidian what they wanted to do and avowed is what they wanted to do so MS funded it. MS also seems to be happy with the developers they purchased creating new offshoots to work on diffrent IPs.

Talk is cheap, see what happens if the games get released and underperform and if Microsoft then continues to have that attitude.

Most of Sony's first party only became really successful this gen but Sony stuck with them.

Giving away ? MS is just adding it to an existing bundle which consists of gold / game pass / xcloud together. I don't really think its being given away as you still pay for it at the end.
A lot of people will get it without paying no extra money at all. Sure, it's not free, but you're not paying any more for it.

You can still buy a publicly traded company. Microsoft could make a purchase of CD project Red by offering a buyout price. MS could try a hostile take over. They could start buying up stock and then try and force the purchases of the remaining shares

I know the US is a bit of a wild west when it comes to financial regulations, but the situation in the EU is different. You can't buy a publicly traded company like you can a privately owned company because the shareholders collectively own the company. You can buy shares openly traded or or by approaching significant shareholders but there are different share types and many publicly traded are non-voting shares so only of trading value and dividends. Because of the size of CD Project Red, and their revenue, Microsoft would need EU approval. The Polish Government would likely oppose an American HQ'd firm buying a successful Polish firm, as they have done before.

This is how we do things in Europe.

Talk is cheap, see what happens if the games get released and underperform and if Microsoft then continues to have that attitude.

Most of Sony's first party only became really successful this gen but Sony stuck with them.
We will have to see. I see a bunch of exciting games coming out from MS so I can't complain at all. Right now they are my favorite publisher

A lot of people will get it without paying no extra money at all. Sure, it's not free, but you're not paying any more for it.

I know the US is a bit of a wild west when it comes to financial regulations, but the situation in the EU is different. You can't buy a publicly traded company like you can a privately owned company because the shareholders collectively own the company. You can buy shares openly traded or or by approaching significant shareholders but there are different share types and many publicly traded are non-voting shares so only of trading value and dividends. Because of the size of CD Project Red, and their revenue, Microsoft would need EU approval. The Polish Government would likely oppose an American HQ'd firm buying a successful Polish firm, as they have done before.

They might and they might not. It depends. I honestly doubt MS would go for CD project red anyway.

I think they will go for smaller studios that can grow under microsoft. I mean CD project red is valued at 6B I think. While it wouldn't have the issues WB games has that is still a lot of money for what I believe is a single franchise developer (although i am sure cyber punk will do extremely well and make them into a 2 franchise developer) GOG would be a waste for Microsoft since they already have their own store front

I've heard people suggest the dying light team. That is a small studio and the game seems to be in trouble. It could be a good get for MS and while it is polish they aren't publicly traded.

Then MS would have 2 really good Zombie franchises lol. I could see the complaints now. MS releases a Forza and Zombie game every year. They have no other ip ... lol

Arc systems could be a good get for them. The dragon ball fighting game was really good and MS could put them on Killer Instinct

Asbo would be another one. Flight Simulator 2020 is amazing and MS having a team dedicated to keeping up that franchise would be amazing . They also did recore and zoo tycoon as well as some hololens titles so the relationship is already strong

Otherside ? They are making system shock 3 and they made an underworld game. It was broken and got bad scores but there was enough meat on the bone that i wouldn't mind seeing them get some MS money to make a follow up. Maybe get them sharing assets and tech with Obsidian and spin up another strong rpg company for MS ?

Remedy . I'd love to see a new Alan wake

Pranha games . More MechWarrior is always good , they have a unreal engine 4 version in development

I just want them to get a diverse range of games. I don't want all 3rd person narrative games or all fps games. Heck i don't even want all CRPGs. I want a lot of all of it. So those are just my thoughts on some studios they might buy up that can help make that a possibility.

I think MS owns the freelancer IP so it be amazing to see Asbo modify the Flight Simulator engine for that. I'd even love to see a modern day fighter jet game on that engine.

The AT&T company is looking to sell off CrunchyRoll, the anime streaming service, for 1.5 Billion. (Likely buyer would be Sony who owns Funimation.) I think by comparison they would want far more than 2 Billion for all their game development studios. So the 2B to 6B is likely to be more like 6B to even more on the high side.

AT&T is a very mental/schizophrenic company, the same one that says Crunchyroll and Anime will be a huge part of their HBO Max platform is also saying they want to sell it entirely. I'm not surprised if they're unable to sell anything they want. Likely asking too high of prices for what's on the block.

Doesn't look like Microsoft will get Metro developer 4A Games...

THQ Nordic parent company, Embracer Group, has acquired a number of new studios, including Malta-based 4A Games, which has been subsumed by Saber Interactive.

Embracer acquired 100 per cent of the shares in 4A Games, with an upfront purchase investment of "approximately $36 million on a cash and debt-free basis equivalent to an equity value of $45 million".

Saber also confirmed it has acquired 100% of the shares in the US and Canada-based studio, New World Interactive, Embracer's first Canadian acquisition.

Embracer's wholly-owned subsidiary THQ Nordic also acquired 100% of Austria-based Pow Wow Entertainment, "for an undisclosed consideration." Embracer itself also agreed to acquire 100% of the share capital in Germany-based Deca Live Operations.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...-acquires-multiple-studios-including-4a-games

Tommy McClain

That is not correct. American companies have been buying European companies since forever*. If MS pays enough the people who own CDPR will most probably sell it.

*Or 100 years.

That is not correct. American companies have been buying European companies since forever*. If MS pays enough the people who own CDPR will most probably sell it.
It is correct. Microsoft have to play by EU monopolies regulation, they had to get this for the acquisition of GitHub. They would need approval here because Poland's videogame industry is relatively small and such an acquisition could heavily disrupt it.

Nobody is going to sell their stock of CD Projekt SA now, everybody owning stock is waiting for Cyberpunk 2077's release with the expectation that if it only does half as well as Witcher 3, it'll massively increase in value.

CDPR market cap seems to be around 10.75 billion dollars. Buying all stocks would likely had to be done at premium as people would want to hold the stock in anticipation for cyberpunk and other future hits. For 10B$+premium awfully many good people could be hired and they would be willing employees coming to work at something they and MS really want to achieve. Buying isn't sensible in my mind unless the tie between companies is already very close.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/stocks/cd_projekt_red-stock

Nobody is going to sell their stock of CD Projekt SA now, everybody owning stock is waiting for Cyberpunk 2077's release with the expectation that if it only does half as well as Witcher 3, it'll massively increase in value.

Stock prices reflect expected future earnings.

There is nothing stopping CD Project Red from buying up outstanding shares, delisting and going private with a planned sale to a third party. Its actually easier for a public company to go private then the other way around.

The simple act of delisting can kill the share price for those that don't sell since you will be limited to the OTC market. Many investors will sell during the buyback period because you are unlikely to fetch the premium price offered afterward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back