Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot can happen in just 24 hours! Join Rich, John and Alex for a discussion on the delay to Halo Infinite, on the leaked next-gen Xbox controller that seemingly confirms Xbox Series X and finally, the team's thoughts on the countdown to the reveal of the new Nvidia Ampere graphics cards!

I'm pretty sure they mean "S."

In the end Sony can reveal price last, xbox needs to reveal Lockhart and with that the prices.
I never thought it would drag on so far into the year.

In the end Sony can reveal price last, xbox needs to reveal Lockhart and with that the prices.
I never thought it would drag on so far into the year.
that's sort of the challenge for mainstream consumer market.
Technology is costing more. Moore's law is true in that the sense that you can no longer double your power at the same cost.

Neither of these companies are Nvidia who will glady roll out 2000+ for their 3080TI coming up. When your customer base gets it, and the needs for your graphics power are there, people will pay.

This is the challenge here, they must subsidize or take the hit of charging the price that the hardware should actually cost.

Neither of these companies are Nvidia who will glady roll out 2000+ for their 3080TI coming up. When your customer base gets it, and the needs for your graphics power are there, people will pay.

Therefor i like the PC, not only is it growing rapidly, it also offers everything you potentionally can or are willing to give. I want that high-end ampere gpu, zen3 cpu, and pcie4/5 optane monster ssd.
As a middle-land il also recieve MS and Sony titles, BC is all the way back and emulation allows everything PS360 and below.

Well over 500$ for ps5 ? Something gone wrong here.

Nope. The $399 magical unicorn days are over! At least for the higher-spec'd machines anyhow.

The PS5 SE BOM will be around $560-$570 dollars, and $520-$530 for the PS5 DE. The XBSX BOM will be around $590-$620 dollars, and $340-$355 for the XBSS. Mind you, these estimations don't take into account other outside factors or logistics (e.g., testing/QC, packaging, crating, warehousing, shipping, etc.) which may or mayn’t be factored into the overall BOM cost.

What I see happening...
XBSX:
$499 ($90-$120 loss per unit)
PS5 Standard Edition (SE): $499 ($60-$70 loss per unit)
PS5 Digital Edition (DE): $449 ($70-$80 loss per unit)
XBSS: $299 ($40-$55 loss per unit)

I believe Sony will eat slightly more ($10-$20) upfront with the PS5 digital edition, rather than swallowing greater BOM losses trying to reach the $449 or $399 price-point with the PS5 standard edition.

I don't think either one needs to reveal prices until the orders/preorders are open. :LOL:
You can't open pre orders until you reveal the console though.
Guess you can do it all at one time, but I still think xbox needs to talk about xss sooner than Sony needs to open pre orders.

Nope. The $399 magical unicorn days are over! At least for the higher-spec'd machines anyhow.

The PS5 SE BOM will be around $560-$570 dollars, and $520-$530 for the PS5 DE. The XBSX BOM will be around $590-$620 dollars, and $340-$355 for the XBSS. Mind you, these estimations don't take into account other outside factors or logistics (e.g., testing/QC, packaging, crating, warehousing, shipping, etc.) which may or mayn’t be factored into the overall BOM cost.

What I see happening...
XBSX:
$499 ($90-$120 loss per unit)
PS5 Standard Edition (SE): $499 ($60-$70 loss per unit)
PS5 Digital Edition (DE): $449 ($70-$80 loss per unit)
XBSS: $299 ($40-$55 loss per unit)

I believe Sony will eat slightly more ($10-$20) upfront with the PS5 digital edition, rather than swallowing greater BOM losses trying to reach the $449 or $399 price-point with the PS5 standard edition.
how did you calculated this bom I wonder, bloomberg sources said around 450$ for ps5 manufacture costs

John still doesn't get it.

Removing the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite completely goes against their whole vision. Phil Spencer said this...

"As a player you are the centre of our strategy," Spencer adds later in the interview. "Our device is not the centre of our strategy, our game is not the centre of the strategy. We want to enable you to play the games you want to play, with the friends you want to play with, on any device. On TV, the Xbox console is going to be the best way to play console games. Xbox Series X is the most powerful console out there and it will have absolutely the best versions of our console games. But that's not to exclude other people from being able to play."

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-xbox-one-exclusives-held-back-meme-phil-spencer

Tommy McClain

$399 in November 2013 is only $443.57 today. I don't think Xbox Series X will be above $450. They understand they can't compete with the Playstation brand with price parity & I suspect their whole plan was to be cheaper than the PS5 from the beginning.

As for the Xbox Series S, it will replace their whole Xbox One line & become their budget offering(they have no Xbox One consoles in stock on their site & other major retailers). I don't see it more than $299. In fact, I expect it closer to $250 or less. They can't & won't talk price until you can pre-order it. And there's no reason to discuss Series S because the sole reason for existing is to be the budget/Game Pass console. Can't do that until you can pre-order it. They will announce price/pre-order & the Series S at Gamescom is my guess.

Tommy McClain

$399 in November 2013 is only $443.57 today. I don't think Xbox Series X will be above $450. They understand they can't compete with the Playstation brand with price parity & I suspect their whole plan was to be cheaper than the PS5 from the beginning.

As for the Xbox Series S, it will replace their whole Xbox One line & become their budget offering(they have no Xbox One consoles in stock on their site & other major retailers). I don't see it more than $299. In fact, I expect it closer to $250 or less. They can't & won't talk price until you can pre-order it. And there's no reason to discuss Series S because the sole reason for existing is to be the budget/Game Pass console. Can't do that until you can pre-order it. They will announce price/pre-order & the Series S at Gamescom is my guess.

Tommy McClain
I was thinking 499.99 for the Series X and 399.99 for the PS5.

Removing the Xbox One version of Halo Infinite completely goes against their whole vision. Phil Spencer said this...

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-series-x-xbox-one-exclusives-held-back-meme-phil-spencer

Tommy McClain

I agree with John. Xbox One is 7 years old. Consumers have gotten 7 years of content. Microsoft can move on.

Last edited:

Tommy McClain
And now he's come out and said studios can do what they think is best.
Spencer's position was only going to make any form of sense in the very extremely short term, and really was badly handled pr from the start.

It's actually an interesting thought, f2p multilayer launches as cross gen to get a big community.
Campaign next gen only as a showcase.
If it gets delayed for a year it could actually make sense, early 2021 possibly not.

Not that I think they would ever do this though. Was an interesting out the box idea.

I was thinking 499.99 for the Series X and 399.99 for the PS5.

I agree with John. Xbox One is 7 years old. Consumers have gotten 7 years of content. Microsoft can move on.

Xbox One X is less than 3 years old.
And has, thus far, gotten a handful of enhancement patches. Certainly not any games that take full advantage of the hardware.
I promise you that owners of XBX do not feel like they have gotten sufficient content yet.

$399 in November 2013 is only $443.57 today
However, 28nm was the end of Moore's Law, where you could obtain a doubling of transistors while keeping costs the same. Memory, storage are going to the be primary drivers for cost differences here, coupled with the SoC itself also being more expensive per mm^2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back