Control [XO, PS4]

You have no idea how much better it looks/runs without the blur! Someone made a patch so you can turn it on/off and it's much nicer without it.

This game is truly horribly titled.

I have searched on 4 online marketplace and can't find the damn thing. Keeps getting flooded with controllers listing.

Then I read the digital foundry analysis... Oh.. Horrible framerate :/

Interesting game. Not sure if I like it or not, the combat is good once you get more powers. The playable areas, while large, seem claustrophobic due to being the same indoor environment. The main protagonist is a bore and the story is very thin and rushed in the beginning. It's very Fringe/X-Files.

Control and Alan Wake are set in the same universe

While playing Remedy’s latest title, players can recover some really interesting confidential reports about the incident in Bright Falls. According to the reports, Alan Wake has created an Altered World Event. This AWE caused reality to alter so it can match Wake’s story.

Although the authorities could not find Alan Wake, the Bureau has flagged Wake as a Parautilitarian. In the world of Control, Parautilitarians are individuals capable of wielding paranatural powers, usually by binding to Objects of Power. In that case, the clicker or the typewriter are the Objects of Power in Alan Wake. Quite fascinating to be honest.

Furthermore, the reports state that Alan’s wife, Alice, had been trapped in the Threshold during its manifestation. Threshold is basically a “room” in The Oldest House. For those unfamiliar, The Oldest House contains numerous Thresholds; rooms leading to alternate dimensions which affect the appearance of the Oldest House’s interior. Therefore, Alice was trapped in such a room during the events in Bright Falls. She was later saved and questioned by the authorities in Control

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/control-and-alan-wake-are-set-in-the-same-universe/#more-129722

What a game. There was a bit of a lull with side quests near the end that had some cool stuff, but a bit of filler. What an ending though. Really strong first 2/3, slow spot then fantastic ending. I hope they fix the issues with the console version, because I'd strongly recommend playing it.

There's a patch today for PS4, and soon for Xbox and PC. Hopefully it helps with some of the performance problems on console. There's a lot of work to do there, so I'll be interested in seeing how much of an improvement the patch makes. Pasted what I think are probably the most desirable updates below:

Performance
– Improved title stability on all platforms
– Improved general frame-rate performance through optimisations made to multiple systems and content

UI
– Improved map loading times (map will no longer tease information)
– Motion Blur On/Off toggle added to Options menu
– Film Grain On/Off toggle added to Options menu

https://controlgame.com/control-september-update/

Oh nice, toggle for motion blur in game. Can't wait for this to come to Steam or GoG, will likely get it as soon as it isn't exclusive to the Epic store. Even better if it hits Game Pass when it is no longer an EGS exclusive.

Regards,
SB

Glad to hear consoles finally get that option, I wouldn't have enjoyed playing it as much if I couldn't have turned that off.

I agree with Scott's review of the game btw, fantastic and a solid landing with the ending! So many games play well and then have awful or abrupt ends, this one fit! :D

I'm done with this game, trading it in. I like the idea, but not the implementation. It would make a good movie, but it does not make a good game. On paper it is a perfect match for me, which is why I bought it. Infamous type gameplay mixed with Fringe/X-Files. In the end the combat is frustrating and the checkpoints are too sparse. The bosses and fights can be incredibly cheap. Often time you get hit by some tracking rocket or object that you never see coming and it takes 80% of your health. A second hit leads to a long load and a checkpoint far away. It forces you to stand as far back and snipe to stay alive, which is counter to the gameplay they are aiming for. They want you to fly around and keep moving, but you end up exposing yourself to enemies you can't see because they are small and far away. Sometime the fighting area is cramped and you can get any space and sometimes it is very large and vertical which help the enemies get cheap shots because they are out of your view.

I'll just watch the story points on Youtube, meanwhile I'm not subjecting myself to anymore of this game. I don't know how far I am, I'm past the Ashtray Maze if that means anything to anyone. Getting my $23 from Amazon and putting this behind me.

I'm done with this game, trading it in. I like the idea, but not the implementation. It would make a good movie, but it does not make a good game. On paper it is a perfect match for me, which is why I bought it. Infamous type gameplay mixed with Fringe/X-Files. In the end the combat is frustrating and the checkpoints are too sparse. The bosses and fights can be incredibly cheap. Often time you get hit by some tracking rocket or object that you never see coming and it takes 80% of your health. A second hit leads to a long load and a checkpoint far away. It forces you to stand as far back and snipe to stay alive, which is counter to the gameplay they are aiming for. They want you to fly around and keep moving, but you end up exposing yourself to enemies you can't see because they are small and far away. Sometime the fighting area is cramped and you can get any space and sometimes it is very large and vertical which help the enemies get cheap shots because they are out of your view.

I'll just watch the story points on Youtube, meanwhile I'm not subjecting myself to anymore of this game. I don't know how far I am, I'm past the Ashtray Maze if that means anything to anyone. Getting my $23 from Amazon and putting this behind me.

Yeah, that's the complete opposite of how I've seen people play it. CohhCarnage and ItmeJP went in guns and powers blazing, only occasionally taking cover. Once they got the levitation/flight ability they were almost always up in the enemies faces.

From the little I played it, I felt the same way. The use of the weapon and powers is pretty fluid and well done. In fact, I feel it's almost too overpowered. The throw ability is incredibly satisfying to use and also incredibly powerful.

Thinking about it, maybe it's 60 FPS making a huge difference in how quickly you can react and respond that makes it feel like I have little to not need to use cover that often. The above streamers also played it at 60 FPS on PC. That and the difference in control responsiveness between controller and M/KB. The game never felt cheap in the limited time I played it over at a friends.

But now, I'm curious. I should see if anyone I know has it on console and see how different the experience is on a console.

An interesting comment I've heard from a few people is that Remedy has made the best Star Wars game in the past 10 years. :D

Regards,
SB

I found the game fairly easy. I basically played incredibly aggressively. I didn't use cover or the shield ability. But I played on PC over 60 fps and have a low input lag monitor etc.

The shield ability is not real useful since you can't see anything with rocks blocking your face. The first half of the game was easy, then everything was hitting me with near one-shot hits from across the room without warning. I never felt the floating (not flying) was great for combat. It was super slow and you were a sitting duck in mid air. I also don't get why they want to give you so many short range guns when you are better off keeping things far from you.

Just a heads up that there is no free upgrade to PS5 or XBSX edition unless you buy the new Control Ultimate Edition that releases on September 10th for $40.

https://controlgame.com/introducing-control-ultimate-edition/

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

Yeah, they are rightfully getting shit for this everwhere. I will just wait for the Game Pass version.

Tommy McClain

Just a heads up that there is no free upgrade to PS5 or XBSX edition unless you buy the new Control Ultimate Edition that releases on September 10th for $40.

https://controlgame.com/introducing-control-ultimate-edition/

Will Control Ultimate Edition give me access to Control on Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5?
We will offer a free next-gen digital upgrade for those who buy Control Ultimate Edition on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. For more information on eligibility, stay tuned to our website and community channels.

What if I purchased the original version of Control previously?
The free upgrade path to Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 version of Control is only available for Control Ultimate Edition.

That is a real BS move! I only have the original version :(

Back