Horizon Zero Dawn [PC]

My 7870 2gb (stock), i7 920 @3.6ghz and 8gb ddr3 is averaging 35fps, would say usually around 40fps at 1080p, original settings preset.

If anything, i don't find this game requiring much hardware at all, 2012 medium hardware does the job rather admirably. GPU requirements seem to go up when going for ultra settings though, like usual.

I'm also positively surprised reading this, the game doesn't even officially support the HD 7870, and an 8+ year old GPU series is probably low priority for AMD's driver team too.

I'm also positively surprised reading this, the game doesn't even officially support the HD 7870, and an 8+ year old GPU series is probably low priority for AMD's driver team too.

Im eagerly wondering how the GTX670 will perform, it's about as old. But no-one has done a benchmark with that one on yt it seems. NV's old GPU's have not aged too well compared to AMDs stuff, probably due to console optimizations i guess.

I think hes using the benchmark, not actual gameplay which is far more taxing.

Im eagerly wondering how the GTX670 will perform, it's about as old. But no-one has done a benchmark with that one on yt it seems. NV's old GPU's have not aged too well compared to AMDs stuff, probably due to console optimizations i guess.
GTX680 is around 25 fps at console preset 1400x900.

Last edited:
Im eagerly wondering how the GTX670 will perform

To follow up on this, it seems to handle hzd ’ok’, not far off from the 7870. 30fps/1080p/original settings. Sometimes a rather drop in frames which i dont think was as severe on the 7870. Didnt test the memory leak problem ’fix’.
The game is badly optimized for older gpus some reviewers think. And still, anyone with 2012+ hw can enjoy this game, if you can live with 30fps, 1080p and medium (ps4 pro) settings.

All grass/vegetation is interactive btw, and a much more useage of highres textures.

https://www.google.se/amp/s/www.dso...orizon-zero-dawn-pc-performance-analysis/amp/

Runs fine on my 8gb ddr3 test system, orignal (ps4 pro) settings. No idea what ultra settings do, yet.

Edit: Seems no problem on Ultra settings either, above 40fps for the most, found someone elses video, on an ancient specced system, 8gb ram, i5 2400 and a hd580. Hes actually not far from 60 alot.
Ingame gameplay.

My 7870 2gb (stock), i7 920 @3.6ghz and 8gb ddr3 is averaging 35fps, would say usually around 40fps at 1080p, original settings preset.

If anything, i don't find this game requiring much hardware at all, 2012 medium hardware does the job rather admirably. GPU requirements seem to go up when going for ultra settings though, like usual.
8GB is the minimum required.

In that video at original settings it seems that CPU hitches (progress-updates: loading/saving) were the primary reason for FPS to fall below 50. At the end, the close-up on Aloy hit below 50fps on "favour performance" settings, seemingly demonstrating a pure CPU hitch.

I noticed CPU load % going up with framerate at a given setting, so 1080P appears to be strongly CPU-limited.

Minimum CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K@3.3GHz or AMD FX 6300@3.5GHz.

So the game's problems appear mostly to be CPU centred.

Just checked and according to my AMD gaming profile I've been getting 48.9fps average out of 31 hours of gameplay and it's crashed once on me.

Glad they're working on it though, fun game! Hope more people can get it working.

I have to many games on my plate right now. I may pick this up post holiday
Not a bad plan to not rush out and get it if you have other stuff to play. It's a fantastic game gameplay and storywise, so giving them some time to get the bugs out will probably give you a better experience.

That said, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Haven't been this addicted to a game in a while, even the side quests are interesting as hell and not just run and fetch things!

Not a bad plan to not rush out and get it if you have other stuff to play. It's a fantastic game gameplay and storywise, so giving them some time to get the bugs out will probably give you a better experience.

That said, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Haven't been this addicted to a game in a while, even the side quests are interesting as hell and not just run and fetch things!

the majority of my gaming budget is going towards a new video card ( hoping the rdna 2 is as good as the geforce but will buy the better one) and a 1 or 2 TB sata ssd. I have about $100 bucks left over for games (i get game pass free so i will play a bunch of stuff on that)

Already played it before, but i thought it was worth it for the kb/m support, higher resolutions, and upped settings and textures, all grass/vegatation now interact! Thought that was a big miss, glad they took the time to adress that.
Games really come to life at higher framerates (like DF/Alex noted), i will see if i can hold off on FW ps5 for the eventual pc version.

the majority of my gaming budget is going towards a new video card ( hoping the rdna 2 is as good as the geforce but will buy the better one) and a 1 or 2 TB sata ssd. I have about $100 bucks left over for games (i get game pass free so i will play a bunch of stuff on that)
I'm saving for a new GPU too, the RX580 has been great for a $143us card but it's JUST enough right now. I have a feeling the next round of AAA titles I'm gonna be needing to upgrade to something better, just waiting for the next launches also to see what the what is to decide.

Also thinking about replacing the Ry5 1600 with something a bit better. It's been fantastic and solid as a rock at 3.9GHz, but much better should be available for cheap by then and I'll probably be grateful for the extra CPU grunt as well. (Got a B450 mobo so I'm feeling all smart and lucky about upgrade paths. :) )

This game was the one that pushed my rig's temps high enough to make me change cases and the improved air flow has helped a lot. Better temps and no jitters from thermal throttling. (GPU gets a tad warm, but as I mentioned it was only $143 so I knew what I was getting in for. ;) )

Just upgrade in a year or so.... or a total new build by then. Games will slowly start to take advantage of higher end systems by then. The PS5 for some exclusives like spiderman, forbidden west and rift apart.

No, no consoles. I don't do consoles anymore, not since I started playing on the PC.

I can understand that, many have said so, once gone to pc its been their main platform. Ive always been PC, but ive always had a PS also, just for it's handfull of exclusives, they are worth it to me. But things seem slowly changing, more and more sony games appear on my platform, which means i'd be getting a PS for maybe 2 games, which is.... ye :p
I'm having a PS5 at launch for free so can't beat that ;)

Not knocking you or anyone else for it, both my kids play console and PC games. In fact I did borrow my son's 360 once, when GTA V came out, and hooked it up to my monitor to pretend i was on a PC.... LOL

I'm saving for a new GPU too, the RX580 has been great for a $143us card but it's JUST enough right now. I have a feeling the next round of AAA titles I'm gonna be needing to upgrade to something better, just waiting for the next launches also to see what the what is to decide.

Also thinking about replacing the Ry5 1600 with something a bit better. It's been fantastic and solid as a rock at 3.9GHz, but much better should be available for cheap by then and I'll probably be grateful for the extra CPU grunt as well. (Got a B450 mobo so I'm feeling all smart and lucky about upgrade paths. :) )

This game was the one that pushed my rig's temps high enough to make me change cases and the improved air flow has helped a lot. Better temps and no jitters from thermal throttling. (GPU gets a tad warm, but as I mentioned it was only $143 so I knew what I was getting in for. ;) )

GPU this year for me and I"m on a 1700x that I can overclock or if desperate buy a higher end chip for my b350 board . I want to hold out for DDR5 which i think i should be able to do easily. I think I could put up to a 3950 in this board ? not a 100% sure but yea. I got my wife on a 2400g so she will be getting my vega and if i need to upgrade the cpu she will get the 1700x. She just plays civ so its all over kill but thats the only way i know how to do anything lol and I try and justify the upgrades to her. I'm like honey when i drop this $800 on a new video card i will give you this video card and then you can play with higher settings on Civ and it will be easier to read the text.

Back