Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I'm not saying there isn't crunch.

Just saying I've not seen any indication that there's issues with work flow or pipelines.
If the content wasn't there I'd be surprised that they would wait a couple of months before going gold to know they couldn't make it in time.
Graphics quality is a known issue though.

Basically I'm more inclined to believe their going to work on the engine etc
Unfortunately the reddit post was killed but we discussed it here:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/2143025/

They could use this time to fix their production pipeline etc because a game like this after launch will demand even more work to continually build more content. They need to fix the structure before they launch otherwise they will be in perma hell in perpetuity.
I am sure they have people working on different parts of the game. Those doing textures and models are most likely not contributing to story. So if the game is story complete and they want a more SOT like experience those teams will be moving on to content post launch. I'd actually suspect that they had a team already doing content destined for the first few months maybe 6 after launch. So in terms of content this is most likely a really good thing as more content should be ready down the line. I just don't know how much they can change graphicly in the next x amount of months

I am sure they have people working on different parts of the game. Those doing textures and models are most likely not contributing to story. So if the game is story complete and they want a more SOT like experience those teams will be moving on to content post launch. I'd actually suspect that they had a team already doing content destined for the first few months maybe 6 after launch. So in terms of content this is most likely a really good thing as more content should be ready down the line. I just don't know how much they can change graphicly in the next x amount of months
That's where I sort of differ. I think they should stop. Get their shit together. Once all the tools and workflows are going (if this is the problem as per the employee accounts), then go back and start working. Everyone there could use a vacation could use time off, I'm sure they've been grinding non-stop as it is. None of it is healthy, and knowing you've been grinding so long and hard and have everyone trash your work; can't be good for the heart.

That's where I sort of differ. I think they should stop. Get their shit together. Once all the tools and workflows are going (if this is the problem as per the employee accounts), then go back and start working. Everyone there could use a vacation could use time off, I'm sure they've been grinding non-stop as it is. None of it is healthy, and knowing you've been grinding so long and hard and have everyone trash your work; can't be good for the heart.
Maybe or maybe the issue is that for the last 5 months or so people have been working too little. MS was a mess the first month or two of lock down. They also allowed some employees to get fully paid without working till the end of june before mandatory work continued.

So who knows wtf is really happening.

What a surprise.../s
343i has been managed like a shittruck ever since its inception. Watch Bonnie Ross get the boot (shifted to an other MS division if she is lucky) in the next 6 to 12 months (like Dan Ayoub after the Master Chief Collection crapfest)

“Let’s say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches,” said one person familiar with the engine. “They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didn’t fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then they’d do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.”
Wow Bungie, WT actual F.

The delay is a good thing, kudos to MS for having the guts doing it, but they have serious work to do as they would need to seriously improve:

- The resolution of textures
- Fix pop-in and popout
- Way more polygons for all their assets, like 5 times more polygons (otherwise it's going to look rough in one year compared to the big PS5 games).
- The ray tracing already there at launch on XSX (I actually think the current dynamic lighting is OK-ish compared to the textures, the main problem is the soft assets everywhere).
- They need to add more details, dynamic or not, in order to make a less static and more believing world. The devil is in the details.
- And finally they need to get rid of their current variable resolution tech applied randomly because it looks awful. The assets at native 4K are already too low res (XB1 quality), but those become unacceptable even for current gen when rendered at 720p in a 4K image.

The gameplay looks fun enough, they already have some good stuff here.

The delay is a good thing, kudos to MS for having the guts doing it, but they have serious work to do as they would need to seriously improve:

The gameplay looks fun enough, they already have some good stuff here.
Why did it take guts to delay the game? It was the right thing and doesn't require guts. Guts would have been having something new to show, something no one else has shown which wasn't the case here.

I see many praising the delay. Do they remember Phil Spencer saying after the first Sony showcase that he was happy with what he has seen and that he is confident with the Xbox Showcase in which Halo was shown? Man, screw the praising. $500m and 5 years later and Halo Infinite looked like it did! You have Alannah Pearce and many other saying they were happy with the way the game looked.

And now MS has guts to delay the game? Guts would be to release the game as it was, and the way Alannah Pearce and others preferred it i.e. good gameplay and original Halo graphics(as she put it iirc).

Guts would be supporting XBSX only instead of all the other older Xboxes, and that's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Because it was supposed to be a launch title.

Someone understands :p Halo was going to be it with their new xbox/services, their biggest and most expensive (rumor) title.
Saying '2021', i feel it could be another year away. 'Guts' for sure.
They must have had/have serious trouble somewhere doing that, but only for the good, means they will/try to improve things.

Is the delay really to address the visuals, instead of overhauling their engine (again) to be easier to develop?

Watch Bonnie Ross get the boot (shifted to an other MS division if she is lucky) in the next 6 to 12 months (like Dan Ayoub after the Master Chief Collection crapfest)

I hope so.

I think the Halo Infinite will be a great game, I liked the game play in the demo. However it seems things are not in order in studio when it comes to day-to-day operations, and managers are responsible for that.

Is the delay really to address the visuals, instead of overhauling their engine (again) to be easier to develop?

Overhauling the engine would take a lot longer than six months me thinks and it's way passed any cut off time for that unless the delay will be longer than I think it will be.
I'm expecting it to come out early next year.

Overhauling the engine would take a lot longer than six months me thinks and it's way passed any cut off time for that unless the delay will be longer than I think it will be.

yeah even bungie kinda stopped overhauling destiny engine for D2. IIRC originally they planned to overhaul a ton of it, so they can make content waaaaaaaaaaaay faster. But turns out in D2 they still unable to churn out contents faster. They do able to directly address things tho (like disabling specific things, editing specific weapon, etc. Instead of all group or nothing in D1)

Depends on what mean by overhaul.
They had patches they was going to work on that was going to come at a later date for xsx.
Trouble is your launching with the xsx and only benefit that a very small subset of gamers would see is 120fps mode in multi player.
Which is nice for the feel of the game but not exactly something that looks pretty and to be your big launch title with.

But this will give them time to get the xsx/s up to scratch and work on content and work flow improvements at the same time.

I think the Halo Infinite will be a great game, I liked the game play in the demo. However it seems things are not in order in studio when it comes to day-to-day operations, and managers are responsible for that.

It's reassuring it's not Combat too evolved and remains fundamentally a Halo game - there is always a risk a developer tries to move too far. My biggest complain with the demonstration was not the visuals but that I still don't know how the gameplay fits into the massive open world. I can see how Halo Infinite will play moment to moment but not what I would in two hours. Can I go anywhere? Do I want to go anywhere? Is the story still linear? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I hope so.

Agreed all around. I had no problem with demo(graphics or gameplay) on first watch. Had I not come here I would have been oblivious to the issues it had.

Anyway, Bonnie & whoever else should get reprimanded for it to get to that point. Wonder if Phil will take on any of that responsibility?

BTW, Bonnie Ross responded on Twitter about 8.5hrs after the news.

Even though she apologized, the response seemed indifferent? Like she let Chris Lee take the brunt.

Tommy McClain

Back