Did I Mess Up with My Router Purchase?

linthat22

Regular
Hey Guys, I recently updated my cable modem to a Docsis 3.1 modem and decided to get a newer router since the misses and I are working from home. The idea was to eliminate dead spots in the house and utilize the newest WiFi format available at this time.

I decided on the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 and I thought I could get Netgear's wireless mesh shit to compliment it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. You either have to invest in their Nighthawk Mesh format or their Orbi setup.

Soooooooo, other than getting an extender that they offer how screwed am I?

Never go with a cable modem with built in router/wifi. Most of them are pure crap except the newest ones you're forced to rent month-to-month and can not purchase from your Cable provider. Usually it's a waste of money for what they charge monthly.

I've switched over to separate router and wifi access points. It's easier to get prosumer products when you separate the two. You can also upgrade your WIFI without worrying about upgrading the router, and vice-versa.

I'm stuck with a Comcast modem/router/wifi but have a few switches and a separate router/wifi hardwired upstairs.

I've fallen in love with network switches, SO convenient! I used to use old routers and always had trouble, get a switch and forget about it. :love:

I never use auto-roaming ... but do you really need any special support? Get two routers, connect via ethernet or PLC, give them the same SSID and password and it's a "mesh" network.

PS. I guess if there's no ethernet and your mains power is too polluted for PLC a pure RF mesh network is necessary ... but in general I trust any wire more than RF, even a mains wire.

I'm still only using 802.11 AC (also known as Wifi 5) but none of our wifi devices support 802.11 AX (also known as WiFi 6) so I didn't see the need for it.

You could look into MOCA for a back haul, which converts Coax cable into an ethernet network. These offer bonded moca for 2.5 Gbps speed: https://www.amazon.com/goCoax-Adapter-2-5Gbps-Ethernet-WF-803M/dp/B07XYDG7WN Though you can get by with older moca bridges with just gigabit speed too with units like these; https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-adapter/ (nice benefit of having 4 wired ports so you don't need another switch device).

As for wifi, I still use a single 802.11AC Access Point (Wifi 5) and it covers the entire house. I have the bedrooms, living room, and rec room connected via Moca. Most devices in each room are wired into a 8 port switch wired into into the Moca adapter.

I use wifi for phones, tablets, and IOT Smart Lights.

My sister's place is a little larger so I used 2 of the following Moca Wifi extenders at opposite sides of the house: https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-network-extender/ They are Wifi 5 / 802.11 AC. They only offer bonded gigabit network speeds, but its more than enough.

Hey Guys, I recently updated my cable modem to a Docsis 3.1 modem and decided to get a newer router since the misses and I are working from home. The idea was to eliminate dead spots in the house and utilize the newest WiFi format available at this time.

I decided on the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 and I thought I could get Netgear's wireless mesh shit to compliment it. Unfortunately, that's not the case. You either have to invest in their Nighthawk Mesh format or their Orbi setup.

Soooooooo, other than getting an extender that they offer how screwed am I?

the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 still leave a bunch of dead spots?

you can extend the network to cover dead spots by
  • move your Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to a better vantage point
  • add a wifi to wifi repeater/extender (could be catastrophic for places with very noisy wifi)
  • add another wifi router near dead spots, run an ethernet cable from Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to it, switch it to dumb wifi mode, and set its SSID and PW the same as the one on Netgear Nighthawk AX8.
  • if you hadnt checked, check Netgear Nighthawk AX8 admin panel, and see if there's a switch for super powerful signal mode (some called it as 100%, 120%, Wall Penetrating Mode, etc)
  • If you have android phone, use Ubiquiti Wifiman app to check what channels are less crowded, then set your Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to use those channels.

the Netgear Nighthawk AX8 still leave a bunch of dead spots?

you can extend the network to cover dead spots by
  • move your Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to a better vantage point
  • add a wifi to wifi repeater/extender (could be catastrophic for places with very noisy wifi)
  • add another wifi router near dead spots, run an ethernet cable from Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to it, switch it to dumb wifi mode, and set its SSID and PW the same as the one on Netgear Nighthawk AX8.
  • if you hadnt checked, check Netgear Nighthawk AX8 admin panel, and see if there's a switch for super powerful signal mode (some called it as 100%, 120%, Wall Penetrating Mode, etc)
  • If you have android phone, use Ubiquiti Wifiman app to check what channels are less crowded, then set your Netgear Nighthawk AX8 to use those channels.

Good tips, I'll have to check for the admin panel.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to move the router since it's pretty much married to the cable modem. I had Comcast check all the lines in the house and we found the only one that didn't have a ton of noise due to staples breaking the coax.

Now, our house is wired with Ethernet ports all over, but would you believe it's old cat3 cables? Figured it wouldn't be worth installing a switch and messing with those.

Good tips, I'll have to check for the admin panel.

Unfortunately, I don't have the ability to move the router since it's pretty much married to the cable modem. I had Comcast check all the lines in the house and we found the only one that didn't have a ton of noise due to staples breaking the coax.

Now, our house is wired with Ethernet ports all over, but would you believe it's old cat3 cables? Figured it wouldn't be worth installing a switch and messing with those.

I mean connect a new WiFi router to your nighthawk ethernet port. Not directly to the comcast.

So the new router will only act as a dumb WiFi switch.

Guys, I totally got this boogered up. My router is the Netgear Nighthawk AX5700. If I'm reading correctly, the EAX80 should be what I can use.

Is that correct?

Guys, I totally got this boogered up. My router is the Netgear Nighthawk AX5700. If I'm reading correctly, the EAX80 should be what I can use.

Is that correct?

for making a real mesh network? looking at its website https://www.netgear.com/support/product/eax80.aspx, it seems for Nighthawk AX8. Not Nighthawk AX5700

EDIT

OH MY GOD. I just realized your router is like 10x more expensive than mine! Now im curious how good its auto QoS will be when hammered with a bunch of clients doing all kind of things :D

Far cheaper to move into the realm of prosumer routers if you want genuine QOS or processing power for the router. Then pick up a nice prosumer style multi-wifi AP setup. But then you need to learn Ubiquity or MiroTek router setup, but its well worth it in terms of stability and performance.

Far cheaper to move into the realm of prosumer routers if you want genuine QOS or processing power for the router. Then pick up a nice prosumer style multi-wifi AP setup. But then you need to learn Ubiquity or MiroTek router setup, but its well worth it in terms of stability and performance.

That sounds like a different investment. I'm just trying to figure out the best solution with my recent purchase. That's a great idea though!

for making a real mesh network? looking at its website https://www.netgear.com/support/product/eax80.aspx, it seems for Nighthawk AX8. Not Nighthawk AX5700

EDIT

OH MY GOD. I just realized your router is like 10x more expensive than mine! Now im curious how good its auto QoS will be when hammered with a bunch of clients doing all kind of things :D

I was looking for a router that I could expand upon, but I'm think I didn't do good enough research.

You can expand on almost any system, by connecting multiple random APs on a wired network (Ethernet or PLC).

Wireless mesh networking is fanciful, but not generally useful.

Back