Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

I LOVED THAT!

Thank you, never saw that haven't heard from DS in years so it was a real treat for me. :love:

Did he ever end up making a game? WTF is up with him and Star Citizen, is he bashing it because someone stole his "idea" but is actually making something and making monies off it? (<-Crazy, WILD guess off the top of my head. I really don't know.)

Enough of them functioned (after patching) for it to far eclipse the interactvity of the ships in star citizen
just for fun would you like to compare the startup procedure for the A-10c in DCS World to the startup procedure of a ship in Star Citizen ;)
Bloody hell, that was awesome. :)

So, I haven't played many open world survival games, just a few, with Conan Exiles being the one I played the most.
And I have played SC only in their free fly events, just to check if there actually is there a game for me to buy.
Are you telling me that you can compare the two, objectively, and somehow find them offering, about the same?
Or are you telling me, that subjectively, what SC offers, is enough for you?
Cause I can kind of get behind the one, not so sure about the other.

And please, do not go around telling people that this game is in beta.
SC fans kill people for less.
It's an alpha, and an alpha it shall remain, until either it's ready (face it, we'll both be dead when that happens), or Roberts gets his retirement fund, and pulls a Houdini only to reappear in a non extradition country. ;)
Besides beta means feature complete, and they don't like the sound of that.
How will they be able to justify Robert's next announcement of individually rendered intergalactic pasta noodles that you can actually throw at the wall, and, if they stick, they are ready!

And one last thing.
I played Warframe for ages. I still do sometimes.
And that game had a strange thing that some people might consider important for a game, from year (not day) one.
Fun engaging gameplay.

Star Citizen, not so much.
The FPS portion of the game, amounts to nothing, since it is not working with all the bugs and that abysmal AI (or lack thereof).
And even the ship flying, is lackluster at best.
Which is impressive considering the same person that makes this, made games that I, while playing them, wrecked countless joysticks.
Even truckers in space (Elite) has better flight mechanics...

Edit.
It just occurred to me, that this thing, somehow became a "survival game" in the middle of development...
I wonder how many times can they move the goalpost until it becomes a life simulator.
It's an unprecedented endeavor!

It's not a survival game. It's similar to a survival game in that all the gameplay is centered around allowing players to do what they want, when they want to do it with little to no overarching story. It's that core concept of creating your own story that turns some people off to these types of games. 7 Days to Die is more similar to this in the sense that there isn't really any overarching story. Conan Exiles at least has a thin veneer of a story to it, but even that is secondary to the player creating their own stories and making up their own motivations to do things in the game world.

@Daozang its amazing how 2 people can have entirely different opinions, you have your negative view then there's Jupiter who thinks this is the greatest game ever created where every feature is the best evar, everything is perfectly coded and balanced and he even claimed the features the game didnt have were brilliant....

Funny thing that. Not everyone has the same tastes, enjoys the same things, likes the same colors, hates the same things, etc.

It's almost like people are different. And <gasp> because they are different they may not like the same things. Imagine that?

Most on this forum think console gaming is better than PC gaming. Does that make you a weirdo that you think PC gaming is better (it is)?

It's fine to dislike a game, but I always find it strange when people start to question or denigrate what other people like in a game.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
It's not a survival game. It's similar to a survival game in that all the gameplay is centered around allowing players to do what they want, when they want to do it with little to no overarching story. It's that core concept of creating your own story that turns some people off to these types of games. 7 Days to Die is more similar to this in the sense that there isn't really any overarching story. Conan Exiles at least has a thin veneer of a story to it, but even that is secondary to the player creating their own stories and making up their own motivations to do things in the game world.

The whole playable space (it isn't small), resides on a server that supports 50 people max... Emergent gameplay requires gameplay systems, and actual players.
And at least some competent AI to fill the rest...
Seeing two people on any play-session on average, doesn't help.
There are three-four types of missions you can do, but besides mining, (that is okish) and deliveries (I think they both require a certain type of ship), the rest (anything that requires combat) is mediocre to downright bad.
The whole thing is not a game, it is a promise of a game.

I honestly hope that Star Citizen becomes an actual game some day, I really do.
I wouldn't be trying it every time they have a free flight week, if I wasn't trying to find a reason to buy it.
After all, the potential of the whole thing is, simply amazing.
And I was ready to support them back when, at the kick-starter, although I'm glad that in the end I didn't put any money into it.
But lately, to me at least, the whole thing looks like a lost cause.
If the people funding and supporting the game's development are content with useless digital downloads (ships) that up till now, have no systems to justify their existence, and at the same time, feel that every delay is justified and no criticism is valid because of, reasons, how can this become an actual game...?

I am honestly thinking that, they reached a point where they just can't move forward, and are selling ships to keep the lights on...
The goal from almost the beginning, was to make a massive online multiplayer game.
If they cannot fix their network and server tech after all those years, I have little to no faith they will fix anything else.
But, that's just me, and I might be wrong.

Most on this forum think console gaming is better than PC gaming. Does that make you a weirdo that you think PC gaming is better (it is)?

I dont think anyone here actually thinks that console gaming is better, not anyone sane atleast. Apart from exclusives, they offer the same, just usually the best versions on pc.

The whole thing is not a game, it is a promise of a game.
All the hundreds of thousands of hours of pretty, talky vids, the millions of pages of Forum posts could really be boiled down to this one sentence.

If they cannot fix their network and server tech after all those years, I have little to no faith they will fix anything else.
They're like a startup car manufacturer trying to produce a world leading Supercar:
They've bought the license to a 4WD chassis, hired 300 stylists & 500 marketers a few decent mechanics working on suspension & figuring out how to link a Supercar body to a 4WD chassis.
But they've apparently just got the one guy working on a scratch-built engine & drive-train that needs to be world-leading in power & efficiency to achieve the performance they've promised & he doesn't get on with the suspension guys.

They are already selling their 4th generation body, are selling 450 variations of body kit/colour combo, are on 3rd generation interior with 30 different interior options.
But the ride is haphazard & so-far they've only got a rough-running 5hp 2-stroke engine on a chain-drive without reverse.

By comparison we have the example when Russia was starting up a new company to make a world-class Presidential Limo:
The contract went to a domestic Govt organisation with existing expertise in vehicle tech plus hired in Porsche & Bosch to help develop the engine, drive-train & chassis to form a common foundation on which they've let the stylists & interior guys build bodies for armored Presidential Limo, unarmored Rolls-Royceskii & Parade convertible.
They're planning on future Van & 4WD models but they're making sure the Limos get built & find a market first.

They're like a startup car manufacturer trying to produce a world leading Supercar:
They've bought the license to a 4WD chassis, hired 300 stylists & 500 marketers a few decent mechanics working on suspension & figuring out how to link a Supercar body to a 4WD chassis.
But they've apparently just got the one guy working on a scratch-built engine & drive-train that needs to be world-leading in power & efficiency to achieve the performance they've promised & he doesn't get on with the suspension guys.

They are already selling their 4th generation body, are selling 450 variations of body kit/colour combo, are on 3rd generation interior with 30 different interior options.
But the ride is haphazard & so-far they've only got a rough-running 5hp 2-stroke engine on a chain-drive without reverse.

By comparison we have the example when Russia was starting up a new company to make a world-class Presidential Limo:
The contract went to a domestic Govt organisation with existing expertise in vehicle tech plus hired in Porsche & Bosch to help develop the engine, drive-train & chassis to form a common foundation on which they've let the stylists & interior guys build bodies for armored Presidential Limo, unarmored Rolls-Royceskii & Parade convertible.
They're planning on future Van & 4WD models but they're making sure the Limos get built & find a market first.

I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to cars!!!
So almost everything went past me, but I kind of get the gist of it :p

They refuse to finish the game until GRR Martin finishes the Game of Thrones serie.

It's a weird thing about religions, when they predict something and it doesn't happen it only makes people believe more.

When 2016 came along i started to sell a lot of the ships i had at a profit. I now have 4 or 5 ships (one i was given free from an optane drive) even with the ships i have now i made a profit. So its not the end of the world if it goes under.

There is a Free To Play event with multiple ans also some massive space ships at the moment.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-showdown/live-showdown

Finally Roberts writing something again:

The Room System has been in the game for quite a while and fully works including equalization of gases / atmosphere between room volumes (including dissipation into the global room aka open space / vacuum)

When you suffocate for lack of oxygen that is because you are in a "room" with not enough oxygen.

The Room System is basically how the game describes volumes of gas, their pressure, density and temperature so a planet has a room (it's atmosphere) a ship has rooms (various compartments between bulkheads), even "The Coil" in Squadron 42 has it's volume described by a "room".

We use it for the Player Status System (breathing oxygen), for atmospheric flight (the room system contains all the information in terms of density and composition of the atmosphere in terms of gasses that flight model uses to calculate drag and lift), weather (some of the current weather ground FX are partly influenced by the room's temperature, density and even composition of gasses in the atmosphere), contrails (in atmosphere and in space gas clouds) and atmospheric entry effects on ships.

So the Room System is very important for a lot of systems and has been been in Star Citizen for years.

What @MGibson-cig was saying and may have been lost in translation as you don't know our internal terms is that rooms can have two states; mutable and immutable. Mutable means that the room has a finite amount of density / pressure / gasses which can pass to another room if it is connected to it and there is a difference in pressure. So if you open an door to space from your Aurora if the internal room is set to mutable the atmosphere inside will escape outside. Immutable means the room has what is considered an infinite amount of gas and it's pressure won't change. Planet Atmospheres are immutable rooms, as is the vacuum of space. When we first set up rooms on the vehicles we didn't have the life support component (and it's related vents) implemented yet so we had no way to supply more oxygen to a room that had lost it, so the designers set the ship rooms to immutable (infinite supply of oxygen basically) as a temporary measure because otherwise if you opened your door in space you would lose your internal breathable atmosphere and suffocate if you didn't have a space suit on. All ships have rooms, and in fact why people occasionally suffocate on a ship in some places is because the room volume hasn't been set up correctly and there is some part of the ship without a room, and without a room there is no atmosphere and the game treats everything outside a room as vacuum.

We have the initial implementation of life support components and their connected vents working internally but rolling it out for the ships will take a while as we need to literally "plumb" the ships with a set of extra components, not just the life support component but all it's vents. We have a few other systemic ship features like more interactive cockpits (DCS style) we've been working on, as well as the dynamic fire system (which also uses and affects the room / atmosphere) and an update to the "pipe" system that shares resources like power, heat, fuel, atmosphere between components that will be more flexible and scalable so it's really a matter of scheduling when we do passes on our huge number of ships to set them up for the new systems that are waiting and the ones to be ready soon; As everyone always has more work than time it is going to be more efficient to update multiple things once we crack open a ship to update it, hence some of the functionality we have waiting in the wings hasn't been rolled out just yet.

There is a lot of very cool systemic gameplay that we've been working to finish off in the background for ships that once all together will create a spaceship simulation like no other. Let me give you an example that factors in our new physical damage (that we are working on as I type; this is one of things that I'm pretty involved in), fire, room, pipe and player status systems.

A ballistic round passes through the ship's shield, which scrubs off some of its kinetic energy but not enough as the round's velocity was high as was its mass as it was an armor piercing round. It manages to penetrate the armor and strikes an internal component, say a power relay node (something else we are working on as part of the pipe system refactor). The power node takes damage giving it a chance to "misfire" while in use. A few minutes later the node does misfire, blowing its fuse and resulting in it catching fire. The crew of the ship doesn't realize a fire has broken out in one of the side corridors, as they are busily concentrating on fighting the ships attacking them. The fire starts to spread along flammable surfaces, and as the fire starts to engulf other components they also catch fire. The engineer on the bridge of the ship sees his console flash red giving him a warning that several components have failed and looking at his ships schematic he sees a fire has broken out below decks. The engineer decides to seal the bulkhead doors on the corridor to contain the fire but the doors have no power as the power node is out! He comms one of his crew mates to leave his turret and grab an extinguisher and put out the blaze which is slowly creeping towards the power plant room. Fire reaching a ship's power plant or it's ammo stores are two sure fire ways for your ship to go boom. With the physical damage system ships will no longer just explode when their hit points reach zero, they'll explode because something inside them went critical and exploded (due to damage or heat), which then damages everything else. Outside of that damage will affect the ability of the ship to function or it's structural integrity so they also could become a lifeless hulk as much as they could go up in a flash of light. When the crew member gets to the corridor where the fire has broken out is has already consumed a huge amount of oxygen in that "room" (the corridor) and has released noxious gasses, so the crew member can't breathe and quickly retreats to put on a fire resistant suit and helmet. The engineer in desperation manages to reroute power away from the destroyed node through a secondary node restoring power to enough of the bulkhead doors to allow him to contain the fire. Noticing that there is an external airlock in the sealed off area he opens the airlock, venting the oxygen in the sealed off corridors and rooms to the vacuum of space, depriving the fire of the ability to burn, putting most of it out. By this time the crew member is suitably dressed and can extinguish the fire that made it past the bulkhead door before it can grow again. The engineer then reseals the airlock and allows the life support system to replenish the air in the vented part of the ship. Once done the engineer opens up the bulkhead door allowing the crewmember in with a replacement fuse for the power node, restoring power to that section of the ship, then returns to his turret. It's been a close call but the ship is still alive and in the fight!

What I describe will be possible once we have finished and deployed the systems we're working on. I know it can be frustrating to wait for all of this functionality to be online but I promise you everyone is working as hard and as smartly as possible to get there; we are just going for a higher level of systemic gameplay (versus scripted) than most if not all games, and to architect all of this so it works in multiplayer at scale is no small feat.

I am very invested in making Star Citizen's gameplay as systemic as possible as I think this will open up so many possibilities of emergent and immersive gameplay. The downside of this approach is that it takes longer to see results as opposed to scripting actions as you have to build the fundamental systems first and have them interact with each other before the full extent of the gameplay becomes apparent. But for the long term, and for people's ability to lose themselves in the universe of Star Citizen for many years to come it is the approach that will have the best results.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3366236

Last edited:
this game needs a "floor", "wall", "ceiling" system

moving over a "floor" needs to be a challenging endeavor. there could be a "nail" there, maybe a part of the "floor" has been weakened by "room" under being weakened. you may use the "wall" as a support but maybe the "room" on the other side has been weakened too

also i want a "toilet" system and "bed" system
if you dont use the "toilet" system before the "bed" system you may "wet" the "bed" system 3 hours into your "sleep" system gameplay

I'm gonna buy the XSX because I think it's the only today's console that will be able to run Star Citizen [emoji1]

SC could probably run on a PS4 with everything scaled down. Anyway, neither XSX or PS5 will be able to run it.... because it wont appear there. And even if it did, they would pale in comparison to a high end pc version. Even a 2080Ti gets pushed to the max, with a 12 core high speed ryzen processor. It's also ram heavy, 32GB system ram wont do any harm, as does atleast 12GB vram, but you'd probably want more.
Also, even Optane drives see improvements over 'normal' nvme drives. This is the Crysis of modern pc gaming :p

Back