Horizon Zero Dawn [PS4, PC]

Game is out. The list of known issues is like a sum up of @Dictator 's video.

Known Issues
  • Anisotropic Filtering settings are not working. This is a high priority issue for us to resolve.
  • Some systems may experience a brief stutter during general world traversal, UI updates, quest updates, or camera swaps in cutscenes. This is a high priority issue for us to investigate.
  • Some animations are designed to only refresh at 30fps even if the game is running at a much higher frame rate. We are exploring how we can improve this with a future update.
  • Shader Compilation process does not properly verify remaining storage space on user PC and can result in crashes if the user’s storage drive is low on space (compilation process requires additional ~2GB storage space).

First day patch but doesn't fix the biggest issues. :(

PATCH NOTES

NOTE: This list contains some spoilers for quest and character names, as well as in-game locations!

Crash/Hang Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the game would crash in the control mapping menu screen when moving the game window to a second screen using the Win Key + Arrow Key combination.
  • Fixed several other crashes
Performance Issue Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the framerate would behave incorrectly in Ultimate Quality with a 3840x2160 display resolution.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would have performance issues when running in High End 4K display resolution.
  • Fixed an issue in the main quest “The Point of the Spear” where the game would have performance issues during the fight with the Sawtooth.
  • Fixed an issue in the side quest “Fatal Inheritance” where the game would have performance issues when entering the house.
  • Fixed an issue in the DLC expansion quest “Firebreak” where the frame rate would drop in certain places.
  • Fixed an issue where the framerate would drop on a path to in-game location Pitchcliff.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would encounter streaming issues on buildings when the player was near Mother’s Cradle.
Graphics Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the game would have graphics issues when approaching the Battery Facility and Firebreak.
  • Fixed an issue in side quest "Sunstone Rock" where there was a graphics issue behind Janeva near Sunstone Rock.
  • Fixed an issue where a flicker would occur when changing the Render Scale.
  • Fixed an issue where the Crafting sub-menu image would show a compressed image in different aspect ratios.
  • Fixed an issue with overlapping UI in Quest menus when using Mouse and Keyboard.
  • Fixed an issue where the extended blurred side bars for cutscenes and conversations did not display when in Borderles Mode.
Streaming Issue Fixes

• Fixed an issue where the game would encounter streaming issues when using specific Adaptive Performance FPS settings.
Functionality Issue Fixes

• Fixed an issue where a notification after a crash disappears before the user can accept the request.
  • Fixed an issue where an option in the Audio Output Device list did not register as a valid option.
  • Fixed an issue where the Audio Output Device can not be changed via the Settings > Audio page.
  • Fixed an issue in the Benchmark Tool where music would no longer play on subsequent runs of the Benchmark Tool after running and cancelling the tool early.
  • Fixed an issue in the Japanese SKU where the cross button is functioned as confirmation button when selecting choices during conversation and cutscenes instead of circle button
Localization Issue Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where the first-time loading screen would show placeholder text in every language except English
Other Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where a user was not able to boot the game after closing it.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would display debug names in some instances.
  • Fixed an issue where several fonts were present in the Install folder of the game.
  • Fixed an issue where the Horizon Zero Dawn logo would not be displayed correctly.

Regarding shader compilation, I hope that DF were not running the game on a full ssd or nvme drive, because that would explain other things as well...

Personally I never got the hype for the game (never played it of course not having a ps4)
But solely on Gfx alone I don't think it was one of the top 10 best looking ps4 game, maybe not even in the top 20, the ps5 game looks totally on a different level

A few annoyances, but screw it's fun, and fairly pretty when you're looking out over some distant horizon or at the insanely detailed realtime cutscene models. Not so much in the towns or etc. but eh, whatever.

Excellent, let's hope they can live up to their reputation in fixing this.

They probably will. Sky is the limit with pc hardware, there is not where the problem lies. Also, if HZD is going to be BC with PS5 some optimizations will probably have to be done aside from higher resolutions/settings etc.
I assume that the forbidden west pc version will be done better.

The game seems to run on par with the base PS4 version at original (medium) settings, 1080p and an avg of 33fps, on a 7850 2gb and ryzen 5 cpu. Given that the PS4 is about a match or close to a 7850 gpu, it seems quite well fitting there.

According to the DF analysis the PS4 is running things at medium, and that's the Pro version. I think some things are turned down for the base version even.

Edit (again): going to test this on my 7950 pc later on, that system did almost PS4 Pro matching performance and settings in doom Eternal. A gpu released before the base ps4.

Last edited:
They probably will. Sky is the limit with pc hardware, there is not where the problem lies. Also, if HZD is going to be BC with PS5 some optimizations will probably have to be done aside from higher resolutions/settings etc.

The game seems to run on par with the base PS4 version at original (medium) settings, 1080p and an avg of 33fps, on a 7850 2gb and ryzen 5 cpu. Given that the PS4 is about a match or close to a 7850 gpu, it seems quite well fitting there.

According to the DF analysis the PS4 is running things at medium, and that's the Pro version. I think some things are turned down for the base version even.

Edit (again): going to test this on my 7950 pc later on, that system did almost PS4 Pro matching performance and settings in doom Eternal. A gpu released before the base ps4.

In my case low settings is better than high and ultra. As those two settings make the game looks like clay render.

With better framerate and resolution than PS4 pro.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...1ol424-zPz4HhC4qPQl_3Tgz_bowBU86tj1XyHJF4NmyE

''Horizon Zero Dawn's PC "technical issues" are Guerrilla's "highest priority" right now''
Im willing to bet Horizon 2 is their highest priority. I expect this game to be fixed as much as Arkham Knight was. Has anyone gotten to the DLC area yet? I saw it posted that the snow deformation isnt in the PC version.

From what ive seen, a 7850 needs 720p and low settings to get a stable 30 fps. Where are you sourcing from?

Last edited:
Im willing to bet Horizon 2 is their highest priority.

Ye, they must be blatantly lying. Let's keep consipricy theories in another thread please? If GG doesn't keep their word, they have lied, or couldnt fix their issues with this port. But that's then, not now.

From what ive seen, a 7850 needs 720p and low settings to get a stable 30 fps. Where are you sourcing from?

Nope, average 33fps, original preset (which means medium, what the Pro runs according to DF), at 1920x1080, which is a 1080p resolution. Using the ingame benchmark.

You can clearly see what settings are being applied and saved, followed by the benchmark.

Ye, they must be blatantly lying. Let's keep consipricy theories in another thread please? If GG doesn't keep their word, they have lied, or couldnt fix their issues with this port. But that's then, not now.

Nope, average 33fps, original preset (which means medium, what the Pro runs according to DF), at 1920x1080, which is a 1080p resolution. Using the ingame benchmark.

You can clearly see what settings are being applied and saved, followed by the benchmark.
The benchmark is notably higher performing than actual gameplay.

The benchmark is notably higher performing than actual gameplay.

There's a reason there are benchmarks in pc games, gameplay is rather varying and different. Aside from that, i have no trouble pushing a stable 30+fps on a 7870 2gb system in this game at the same settings as in that video, ingame. The 7870 is a tad more powerfull but i doubt the differences are going to be huge, in special considering my 7870 handedly outperperforms the base PS4 since im higher then 30fps most of the time.

I have yet to try on a 7950, but i plan on trying that with a i7 920 @3.6 with 8gb ram and see what happens. I could come close and perhaps outperform the pro with that setup, as it has done with other games on both platforms.

There's a reason there are benchmarks in pc games, gameplay is rather varying and different. Aside from that, i have no trouble pushing a stable 30+fps on a 7870 2gb system in this game at the same settings as in that video, ingame. The 7870 is a tad more powerfull but i doubt the differences are going to be huge, in special considering my 7870 handedly outperperforms the base PS4 since im higher then 30fps most of the time.

I have yet to try on a 7950, but i plan on trying that with a i7 920 @3.6 with 8gb ram and see what happens. I could come close and perhaps outperform the pro with that setup, as it has done with other games on both platforms.
Its not varying on a PS4. The performance is quite consistent. Care to provide a video showing stable 30+ fps at 1080p/medium during gameplay?

Its not varying on a PS4. The performance is quite consistent. Care to provide a video showing stable 30+ fps at 1080p/medium during gameplay?

You got a benchmark where a 7850 system performs about the same as the base ps4 version, with most likely better settings to boot. That for a game in a rather bad state regarding the port.
Maybe aside from GG lying, they also botched their benchmarking system? And yes, even on base ps4 it does dip, not by much but it does. We don't know what's happening on that version either, as we dont have a analysis of that either regarding settings etc. On the Pro it's running at equal to medium PC. If GG didn't upp any setting for the Pro in the process that would baffle me.

You got a benchmark where a 7850 system performs about the same as the base ps4 version, with most likely better settings to boot. That for a game in a rather bad state regarding the port.
Maybe aside from GG lying, they also botched their benchmarking system? And yes, even on base ps4 it does dip, not by much but it does. We don't know what's happening on that version either, as we dont have a analysis of that either regarding settings etc. On the Pro it's running at equal to medium PC. If GG didn't upp any setting for the Pro in the process that would baffle me.
We have DF videos covering the PS versions of HZD showing extremely minimal differences outside of resolution between PS4 and the Pro. We also have the gameplay video i provided which is posted by the exact same person as the benchmark video you provided showing us how stark the performance difference between the benchmark and gameplay is. The DF video on the PC version also mentions how much better performing the benchmark is over actual gameplay.

You'd have to be playing at the exact same settings, resolution etc and exact same gameplay paths in comparison to the PS4 version. That's not possible and hence we have a thing called benchmarks. A 7850 is as close to the base ps4 as you can get, and final results show it, even in other demanding titles.
We have to use the benchmark since the game is still being worked on, too many bugs that cause drops and hence bad performance for some. You'd have to call their benchmark being a lie, just as their claim that they will prioritize fixing the bugs is supposed to be a lie.

You'd have to be playing at the exact same settings, resolution etc and exact same gameplay paths in comparison to the PS4 version. That's not possible and hence we have a thing called benchmarks. A 7850 is as close to the base ps4 as you can get, and final results show it, even in other demanding titles.
We have to use the benchmark since the game is still being worked on, too many bugs that cause drops and hence bad performance for some. You'd have to call their benchmark being a lie, just as their claim that they will prioritize fixing the bugs is supposed to be a lie.
Why would you need the same gameplay paths when every gameplay path on PS4 is the same 30 fps? You get rare 1-2 fps drops with an average of like 29.998. Thats worlds apart from the 22 fps avg a 7850 gets at the same settings.

Back