Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
If sony is not gonna commision good ports for pc they might as well stay in their own ecosystem. Sony want to primarily keep prioritization on their hardware and ecosystem while at the same time keeping their options open if things ever change for them.

But like psnow their first pc offering is half baked because of that lack of prioritization and how good they are doing in traditional avenues.

No pc player wants a halfhearted cheap port.

If sony is not gonna commision good ports for pc they might as well stay in their own ecosystem. Sony want to primarily keep prioritization on their hardware and ecosystem while at the same time keeping their options open if things ever change for them.

But like psnow their first pc offering is half baked because of that lack of prioritization and how good they are doing in traditional avenues.

No pc player wants a halfhearted cheap port.

No matter where the port of HZD comes from, people in general blame sony for it. No matter how much some hate the PC as a platform, it will remain a valueble platform, it's only growing. If Sony is intrested in extending their market, they will need to improve on ports. DS was a magnificent port, and it looks better then HZD at that.

It hasn't been properly tested on PCIe4 yet as far as I can tell. That should be more than enough bandwidth, although there may be other factors at play.

This game is begging for PCIe 3/4 8x/16x scaling benchmarks IMO.

It obviously has not much to do with PCIe or any pc hardware as a limitation. A game like HZD should run great on anything HD7950 with matching CPU system or higher. Doom eternal does, and it looks atleast as good in it's own ways, at 60fps. Same for Death Stranding and RDR2. It's a port issue, people try to blame the hardware, the fault ain't there.

It reminds me of the MGS2 port to PC and Xbox back in the day.

Something very strange is going on with this game for sure. The experiences of different sites seem to be varying wildly.

Alex clearly had major issues with the GTX 1060 and yet check out this report from RPS that apparently sees none of that and had the 1060 running at 1080p/60 high settings without any stutter. I've read another review that used a 2080 with superb performance, but their colleague had significantly worse performance on a 2080Ti. Bizarre!!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2020/08/07/horizon-zero-dawn-pc-bugs-crashes-patch/

No matter where the port of HZD comes from, people in general blame sony for it. No matter how much some hate the PC as a platform, it will remain a valueble platform, it's only growing. If Sony is intrested in extending their market, they will need to improve on ports. DS was a magnificent port, and it looks better then HZD at that.

I remember how ZOE2 for PS3 was ported back then and was utterly crap (done by High Voltage I think?) and then HexaDrive took over.

DF are so biased...They say PS4 Pro version is better than PS4...

Yet everything I've read about this game screams MEDIOCRE! It feels like they looked at any of the Lego Marvel Superhero games, felt that type of game should be done with multiplayer with a different graphical-style, then everybody just high-fived each other an until they passed out.

Ok, I'm not a multiplayer gamer but I can look at games like Sea of Thieves and feel the urge to change that. But this game? To somebody who watched almost every Marvel film from the past two decades in the cinema? :nope:

I can‘t overcome that the characters don‘t look like the movie actors...does not compute and feels somewhat fake!
Ditto. Presumably the actor's likenesses was too much and if you have he likeness you need the voice as well. Cap and Thor just bad to me. In the movies Cap was lean but muscular, Cap in the game looks chunky.

Ditto. Presumably the actor's likenesses was too much and if you have he likeness you need the voice as well. Cap and Thor just bad to me. In the movies Cap was lean but muscular, Cap in the game looks chunky.
Thor is ok IMO. He looks almost identical to the various marvel animation incarnations. Cap however is awful. He looks like a damned parody. The issue i have is that the whole GAAS, destiny style approach has no place in an Avengers game. It just makes everything look ridiculous and ruins any sense of immersion the solid visuals create.

The issue i have is that the whole GAAS, destiny style approach has no place in an Avengers game.
As a solo player, this was never going to appeal to me but based on what I've read I don't think even the overwhelming appeal of Marvel's IP will have people playing this day-in-day-out. I can see this ending up like Anthem.

Is it youtube or in some fast moving scenes, seems to be a lot of strange artefacts related to motion blur ? Especially during the flying around the bridge sequence ?

Is it youtube or in some fast moving scenes, seems to be a lot of strange artefacts related to motion blur ? Especially during the flying around the bridge sequence ?
There seems to be a ton of reconstruction and stochastic rendering combined with very low quality motion blur and weak TAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back