General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Or maybe he thinks the Xbox is better, since that's actually what he said. :)
Apparently you can't go around believing what people say now. You have to look for hidden meaning, or Ocean's Eleven twist, or Ocean's Twelve double twist or...

That's freaking amazing price if its $99 for 1TB NVME expansion for Series X.
Its what i would expect.

Its a slower speed SSD and MS is able to use scale to buy a lot of it. Expect the 1TB to be unified across the line IMO buying 1TB for the XSX , 1TB for the XSS and 1TB for the expansion cards allows MS to buy up a lot of nand through seagate.

Its why I think Sony should have offered an offical ssd add on also.

Add to that , DF seemed to imply that you could hot swap the SSD cart. That can be a good way around size limitations at the current time. You could have your FPS ssd which has halo , cod , battlefield . Then you can have your RPG one with Avowed , Skyrim, Cyberpunk and so on and just switch when you want too.

Its not as ideal when it comes to having a huge hard drive or multiple cards plugged in at once but its better than swapping a disc for every game

Looked at Amazon & 1tb m.2 2242 modules are running $149-$159. Couldn't find any prices on the smaller m.2 2230 modules. NewEgg has a 256gb M.2 2230 module for $59.

Seems a little too good be true, but it's 3 months away?

Tommy McClain

Looked at Amazon & 1tb m.2 2242 modules are running $149-$159. Couldn't find any prices on the smaller m.2 2230 modules. NewEgg has a 256gb M.2 2230 module for $59.

Seems a little too good be true, but it's 3 months away?

Tommy McClain

MS is going to buy tens of millions of these in up front orders. How many XSX do you think they will produce its first year ? XSS ? The expansion drives ? Thats all nand controllers and chips being bought up in a huge bulk contract.

also
https://www.newegg.com/xpg-gammix-s...NUA3T0091-_-Product&nspcid=75063&nspgid=75287

Would they even use this same spec NAND for datacenters or is that entirely focused on SAN drives with obscenely excessive specs? Where they would likely load from a central mapped location and only have a small amount of local storage?

nand controllers

Do they even need a controller if the onboard one can handle it? Would save some cost.

Also, per the Anandtech SSD article, they could be using QLC nand. That's fine for the write requirements of a console and is potentially cheaper than TLC.

Anandtexh also felt they could probably drop DRam from the SSD too.

How do you add the expansion, via USB-C or is there some dedicated slot?

Yes. They have USB 3.1 and a dedicated SSD Slot. SSD slot required to be able to play SeriesX games from external storage.

My upgrade is going to involve unplugging my existing USB 3.1 hub from my One X and plugging it into the SeriesX. All of my games will be readily available. If I don't need the speed increase I can continue playing all the Original Xbox, X360, and Xbox One games from my external drives (4TB HDD, and 2 TB SSD).

How do you add the expansion, via USB-C or is there some dedicated slot?
xbox-series-x-storage-expansion-slot-1024x576.jpg

xbox-series-x-will-require-proprietary-cards-to-expand-hard-drive-space.jpg

its a really nice design to be honest and makes it a simple process of adding more storage

Do they even need a controller if the onboard one can handle it? Would save some cost.

Also, per the Anandtech SSD article, they could be using QLC nand. That's fine for the write requirements of a console and is potentially cheaper than TLC.

Anandtexh also felt they could probably drop DRam from the SSD too.

no idea to be honest. If microsoft has its own custom one on the board then maybe not but i think it would make sense if they have their own controller to not over saturate the bus when you go to switch from an active game that might be store on the internal ssd to a game on the external one ?

It is a nice design.

But probably means no third-party storage products, unless they license the interface.

The one being sold is third-party from Seagate. I don't think it could be classified as Second Party. *shrug*

Back