All purpose Sales and Sales Rumours and Anecdotes [2020 Edition]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if because of the fantastic first quarter results for Sony it has emboldened them to take more of a loss on the PS5 and is why they have upped the PS5 shipments to ten million?

They made 1.1 billion profit in the first quarter.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see them buy more dev teams, they must know that in the end content will be the most important aspect of getting people to buy into your eco system.
I don't think the two are related. They upped shipments because they expect demand to be that high, and that is the only reason. They wouldn't 'splash out' on more shipments just because they have more money :)
Instead, they'll invest those profits in other aspects, which can be anything really, from securing more games, to securing more and better marketing... could be anything.

I don't think the two are related. They upped shipments because they expect demand to be that high, and that is the only reason. They wouldn't 'splash out' on more shipments just because they have more money

Surely a lower retail price for the PS5 would lead to more potential sales which would drive them to manufacture more.

Momentum is an important aspect when releasing a new product.

The forecast is crazy 23.4 billion dollars nfor the fiscal year and 2.2 billions dollars profit tj second best profit year for PlayStation the year of a console launch. The profile/loss comparison with PS3 is exactly the inverse situation and this is much better than PS4 launch year.

OCs4GOP.png

Surely a lower retail price for the PS5 would lead to more potential sales which would drive them to manufacture more.

Momentum is an important aspect when releasing a new product.
You wrote that perhaps the Q1 profits made Sony decide to manufacture more PS5s, and what I'm saying is that no company would ever base such a huge decision on the profits in ONE quarter. Would literally never happen.

You wrote that perhaps the Q1 profits made Sony decide to manufacture more PS5s, and what I'm saying is that no company would ever base such a huge decision on the profits in ONE quarter. Would literally never happen.

I thought it was implied in this sentence

"I wonder if because of the fantastic first quarter results for Sony it has emboldened them to take more of a loss on the PS5"

I should of added PS5 hardware.

I thought it was implied in this sentence. "I wonder if because of the fantastic first quarter results for Sony it has emboldened them to take more of a loss on the PS5". I should of added PS5 hardware.

I follow your logic. This may be the time to be bold. While 2020 isn't 2013-level bad where Microsoft were doing an atrocious TV terrible TV job TV with TV Xbox TV One, I don't feel Microsoft are doing a great job with Series X either. I'd decided to buy a Series X at launch when I only knew the specifications and Microsoft's narrative has only made me decide not to buy one at launch, so good f***ing job Microsoft. :nope:

That said I don't think Sony are doing as good a job selling PS5 as they did PS4 but a cool $1bn in profits has to embolden you. Sony have said they want to "transition" as many PS4 owners to PS5 as quickly as possible and to do that it can't be too expensive. You know what you can do with a $1bn in profit? You can eat another $100 loss on the first 10m PS5s sold. It sounds insane, but is it? It depends how important securing those early sales are for Sony.

I follow your logic. This may be the time to be bold. While 2020 isn't 2013-level bad where Microsoft were doing an atrocious TV terrible TV job TV with TV Xbox TV One, I don't feel Microsoft are doing a great job with Series X either. I'd decided to buy a Series X at launch when I only knew the specifications and Microsoft's narrative has only made me decide not to buy one at launch, so good f***ing job Microsoft. :nope:

That said I don't think Sony are doing as good a job selling PS5 as they did PS4 but a cool $1bn in profits has to embolden you. Sony have said they want to "transition" as many PS4 owners to PS5 as quickly as possible and to do that it can't be too expensive. You know what you can do with a $1bn in profit? You can eat another $100 loss on the first 10m PS5s sold. It sounds insane, but is it? It depends how important securing those early sales are for Sony.
Well Microsoft was never in for the console business. The console business was a way to reduce or eliminate console take over of gaming and home entertainment from their hands, which was Sony's market. The only way to do it was to create their own console and then absorb it into their bigger ecosystem. Thats why the X as in Direct X and the console was originally going to have actual windows which was proven not viable back then.
Thats why they even ditched the XBOX from XBOX GAME PASS and now its just GAME PASS.
They tried to do it at first with the TV and always digital, now that transformed into their digital service gradually.
Their event was all about game pass. The Series X was just one way to access it.

Do you think Sony will have difficulty selling the first 10 million ? Because I think everything will be sold out at launch and they'll sell every PS5s they make for many months, even at $449/$499.

Do you think Sony will have difficulty selling the first 10 million ? Because I think everything will be sold out at launch and they'll sell every PS5s they make for many months, even at $449/$499.
No, I think Sony will sell another 100m PS5s but they've set themselves a goal to transition PS4 owners to PS5 at a faster rate than previous generations. People wanting PS5 isn't the issue, people being able to afford a PS5 is by end of Q1 2021 is.

No, I think Sony will sell another 100m PS5s but they've set themselves a goal to transition PS4 owners to PS5 at a faster rate than previous generations. People wanting PS5 isn't the issue, people being able to afford a PS5 is by end of Q1 2021 is.

Especially with how 2020 has shaped up and looks to continue, must have put a spanner or two into their wheels. But better they take an extra initial loss, than telling people to get a second job again :)

The forecast is crazy 23.4 billion dollars nfor the fiscal year and 2.2 billions dollars profit tj second best profit year for PlayStation the year of a console launch. The profile/loss comparison with PS3 is exactly the inverse situation and this is much better than PS4 launch year.

OCs4GOP.png

Wonder if they are pricing in the pandemic continuing to drive sales since people have less opportunity to socialize outside their homes. Last quarter was like a holiday quarter which is an eye-opener since calendar 3rd quarters are usually one of the slowest periods for consoles.

OCs4GOP.png
Is there a forecast for previous launches? Maybe they are just forecasting no change to mitigate stock price issues if they were to fail to hit target (ie forecasting a worst case scenario)

There goes that nonsense that FF7 Remake underperformed in sales.

Without seeing that its their best selling title on PS, I'd have said the numbers are fairly low at less than 4.5% of the captive consumer base.

Without seeing that its their best selling title on PS, I'd have said the numbers are fairly low at less than 4.5% of the captive consumer base.

I was mostly snikering at this thread on Era. As for the game itself, it's within reasonable sales of a FF game, especially being a remake.

https://www.ign.com/articles/ps4-sales-top-112-million-units

PS4 Sales Top 112 Million Units

PS Plus subscriptions, meanwhile, rose to 44.9 million. As noted by GamesIndustry.biz, its quarterly jump of 3.4 million subscriptions is one of the largest in company history. Monthly Active Users, which Sony defines as the estimated number of unique accounts that engaged with the PlayStation Network in June, reached 113 million.

Being a first time PS consumer with the PS4, FF7 never grabbed me like it did with people who have been around since PS1/2 days. I played the demo but still didn't think that it was my thing. TLOU2 and GoT though, damn yeah those were the type of games I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back