Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

I was hoping the Google Play version worked on my Chromebook, but it still doesn't. Maybe when it gets integrated with the Game Pass app?

Tommy McClain

I was hoping the Google Play version worked on my Chromebook, but it still doesn't. Maybe when it gets integrated with the Game Pass app?

Tommy McClain

It seems crazy that they wouldn't support something on Chromebooks at go live. Students avoiding work seems like the perfect market.

Well that was short. :rolleyes:

...and that sucks. xCloud is basically dead to me. >_>
I don't understand how Microsoft began this project and not think this was going to be an issue. It's not like Microsoft are new to AppStore policies, they've had apps on the platform for years and years. :???: The game steaming policy also impacted Steam, FaceBook and Epic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't understand how Microsoft began this project and not think this was going to be an issue. It's not like Microsoft are new to AppStore policies, they've had apps on the platform for years and years. :???: The game steaming policy also impacted Steam, FaceBook and Epic.

I'm sure MS were well aware of Apple's policies. It's hard to argue they're unfair until they're actually being unfair. It's also hard to leverage change if you have no customers. Gamepass streaming doesn't have any until September. Depending on it's Android growth, we'll see how it plays out.

I'm sure MS were well aware of Apple's policies. It's hard to argue they're unfair until they're actually being unfair. It's also hard to leverage change if you have no customers. Gamepass streaming doesn't have any until September. Depending on it's Android growth, we'll see how it plays out.
Or they (Microsoft, Nvidia, Google) hoped, that Apple will accept the reality and change their policies?

I was so stupid to buy the original XCOM for iOS, that has been replaced by XCOM: ET and removed from the Appstore. No 64 bit update, nothing. And I was stupid enough to buy BioShock for iOS. It ran untill iOS 8.4 update, no update since then, nothing. Wasted money.

I have no confindence in iOS as a gaming plattform, and now this theater with game streaming.

Man, wouldn't it be great if halfway through a console generation the games you purchased just stopped working due to an OS upgrade?

Oh wait, thankfully MS and Sony aren't like Apple in that way. :p

Regards,
SB

hm

https://www.windowscentral.com/appl...ct-xcloud-ios-roadblock-citing-store-policies

"Our customers enjoy great apps and games from millions of developers, and gaming services can absolutely launch on the App Store as long as they follow the same set of guidelines applicable to all developers, including submitting games individually for review, and appearing in charts and search. In addition to the App Store, developers can choose to reach all iPhone and iPad users over the web through Safari and other browsers on the App Store."

So they want every game to be submitted for review or else use the browser.

Is all content from video streaming service apps vetted similarly? :|

Yeah, you're not going to get this on iOS at least not until they're at the 50m+ subscriber count and then it will only be basic functionality and somehow not allow for purchases within any and all the games being played on it.

That's how YouTubeTV and other streaming services deal with The Apple Tax. They don't allow you to purchase subscription within the app or do any bill payment or pickup of additional premium channels. All that engineering work to get around paying Apple 30% for the pleasure of offering consumers what they want. Even before that, most streaming places raised the subscriptions if you were subscribing through Apple platform enough to cover the 30% cut, like a $50 service would cost $55 on Apple Platform. I assume they banked the remaining $0.50 extra as a Apple App Maintenance fund.

I guess I'd end up using it on the laptop, but I'd have preferred to use it on the ol' iPad. Ah well.

There are regulatory bodies who can investigate abuse of market monopoly but Apple don't have a mobile operating system monopoly, iOS is a small fraction of Android's wider market. There are have beens dozens and dozens of complaints of AppStore/iOS restrictive policies made to the EU over the years and none have gained traction because while the EU can (and often do) investigate, their punitive powers exist in the vacuum of an existing monopoly. Monopolies regulation really needs an overhaul to consider not just market size, but technology influence and profit - this could being Apple's practises under serious scrutiny.

Is all content from video streaming service apps vetted similarly? :|
There is a different policy for video. Apple have always had draconian rules on any technology that delivers the output of code not vetted through the App Store - hence why there are almost no emulators on the iOS AppStore, because while they can vet the emulator, they can't vet the code that will run using it. There are a few niche apps that are there but they have clearly flown under Apple's radar.

I really wish Apple would change tact on this.

PSNow is not available either, something tells me they have their own plans for Cloud Gaming.

PSNow is not available either, something tells me they have their own plans for Cloud Gaming.
That would surprise me. This is about money. It's not in Apple's interest to allowing other services providing gaming entertment to use their platform for which Apple see no cut and which may eat into Apple's revenues, i.e. if you can play other games you may buy less games from Apple.

From a iOS user's perspective this is rubbish but when Apple's interest and their user's interested diverge, Apple always has favoured itself. That will change when it as too, i.e. when Apple perceive they are losing market share. This is no different that Sony and their stance on cross-platform multiplayer.

The app is live right now and i was going to try out Tekken 7 again but that 51 GB download it's requiring is giving me pause ATM.

Not live for me yet. I have had the beta app since it came out in November. Currently the Play Store says its 155mb. Not sure why it says 51gb.

Tommy McClain

The app is live right now and i was going to try out Tekken 7 again but that 51 GB download it's requiring is giving me pause ATM.

51Gb? For a game streaming app??

So in the Xbox Game Pass (Beta) Android app, Tekken 7 is listed as "Plays on Console" when you search for it, and the 51 GB is the full console install size.

So maybe it's not actually "live" yet.

I hope so and they (Apple) have to watch all Uwe Boll's films.

Is/Will xCloud be available for Windows? I have no idea.

Yes it is available for windows. Just not right now unless you have special access I have used it with a surface pro. It works really nicely.

Oh I've also loaded google play store on the 10 inch amazon fire tablet from 2016 and it works really well on that also. Those tablets are about $100 if your looking for something with a larger screen than a phone

Back