Astronomy and space exploration

Sweet, it didn't blow up this time.
Cannot wait to see it or SN6 hop.
I heard that if this one doesn't perform the hop, SN8 would, because SN6 and 7 are for other purposes (can't remember what exactly, I think something related to testing the welding/tanks/etc).

I heard that if this one doesn't perform the hop, SN8 would, because SN6 and 7 are for other purposes (can't remember what exactly, I think something related to testing the welding/tanks/etc).

SN6 could do the 150m hop but is likely scrap if SN5 doesn't explode prematurely. SN7 was a successful test tank for 304 steel, SN4 uses 301. SN8 is using 304, will have fins and will do up to 20km tests.

They'll like be some more 'mini' tanks like SN7 as they need to test their 30x formula steel. They also need to test the flatter bottom dome/thrust structure for Super Heavy.

Rocketlabs have determined their failure was a dodgy connection that was intermittent during the flight -> increased resistance -> overheated the connector.
Has been replicated in test & taking steps to prevent recurrence.

And cheers to the chuckle-heads who came flying up to the craft after it landed in a boat with a huge Trump flag flying from it. 3 civilian ships got there and in the way before the rescue boats, for a political stunt.

According to the NASA Spaceflight it was also using reaction control systems but still that sucker was doing a huge amount of work admirably.

Yeah, you could see the RCS working away in the external videos.

I honestly felt it in my water that they were going to have another RUD, but I'm pleased to be wrong!

I'm still curious why it seems to be sitting on the landing pad at a slight angle. I wonder if one of the landing legs isn't doing what it's supposed to.

The video I saw was from the side. Is it centered on the pad? (yes just watched this one) I figured a leg just snapped but who knows maybe it is worse and it buckled its mount inside and thus the failure is transmitted to structure . Can't tell in the video.

The video I saw was from the side. Is it centered on the pad? (yes just watched this one) I figured a leg just snapped but who knows maybe it is worse and it buckled its mount inside and thus the failure is transmitted to structure . Can't tell in the video.
I read somewhere that one of the legs didn't extend completely. I haven't seen (nor found) any footage from above to check if it landed in the center of the pad.

Looks like it cut off engine some distance above touch-down -> more impact than intended & off-centre angle?
But the engine also seems to be off-centre -> that may well be just the nature of the testbed.

Looks like those heat-tiles didn't fare very well in the landing pad vid.
Whats with the heavily oxidised welds? Just cheap welding for these tests or?

Back