Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

For conpetitive mp 60fps is far from ideal. Even for casual mp 60 isn’t all that great if your used to higher.
Played alit of bf4 at 144, going to 60 feels wrong then.
I wonder what the tick rate will be.

AFAIK on some games like destiny 2, doesn't matter how high your fps is, the tick rate will still the abysmally low 15 ticks or something. While some other games like battlefield series allows custom tick rate to be set

I wonder what the tick rate will be.

AFAIK on some games like destiny 2, doesn't matter how high your fps is, the tick rate will still the abysmally low 15 ticks or something. While some other games like battlefield series allows custom tick rate to be set

Yes absolutely true. Allowing 120fps with a low tickrate for a online MP shooter would be odd. CS and BF servers allow for higher tickrates indeed, higher tickrate requires better server and network performance (and client?), probably something they got to consider.

For conpetitive mp 60fps is far from ideal. Even for casual mp 60 isn’t all that great if your used to higher.
Played alit of bf4 at 144, going to 60 feels wrong then.
And that's the most important part. Console gamers aren't used to higher than 60.

I've seen some people say, well that explains why it looked the way it did.
That's just crazy, the showing was the campaign at 60fps, where things are turned up.
If anything the mp would look worse than this, even at 60.
Fingers crossed they pull a rabbit out the hat, but i don't see this news to be anything but a way to distract, as was probably something they was gonna say at the August event.

The free to play mp makes sense, as many games have already gone that route.
It should be pretty big on pc and console. From what I gather, as long as they don't take a big step back from Halo 5 mp and add some more accessible maps also for the newbies.

I wonder how the matchmaking will work. Segregated by input method? Free for all but segregated by skill matchmaking?

Destiny 2 have ridiculous amounts of auto aim and bullet magnet, making me play on pc with gamepad vs KBM users, resulting in as good/bad KDR as on PS4.

he said it would be a flawless 60fps up to 4K. It wasn't 60, definitely some dips here and there coupled with some form of reconstruction or lower than native techniques. Not really sure what to call it, since it wasn't VRS, but it's not dynamic resolution.
It was exactly like VRS though. Stuff shaded at lower resolution (720p) in a 4K buffer. How else would you call it ?

It was exactly like VRS though. Stuff shaded at lower resolution (720p) in a 4K buffer. How else would you call it ?
That could have just been really bad texture filtering, or poor mipmaps, which we saw everywhere anyway. It is very difficult to see the difference especially at 4K, the pixels are so small, 720p from 4K is like 9x less resolution. VRS doesn't work specifically like that, you tell it how many pixel amounts a single pixel will spread. Even 1x2 is already saving you dramatically. I don't think that setting exists (at least with respect to the API). It's covered by Alex in a DF video.

As per Tier 1 and Tier 2 VRS:
Supports request for 1x1, 1x2, 2x1 and 2x2 coarse pixel size

T2
Shading rate 1x2 is guaranteed available if requested

https://microsoft.github.io/DirectX-Specs/d3d/VariableRateShading.html

There does seems to be some caps around a 4x4 setting.

3x3 is not a setting.

I'm doubtful that VRS was used.

Last edited:
Can it not be something they implemented in software (for XO)?

I think it's a software thing!

I think it's done very coarsely on a per object basis (e.g. a whole grunt), and that the geometry and lighting remain native res. But based on the aliasing, it looks like they're using a single pixel's texture sample and shading stage to fill out a 3 x 3 area on that object.

3x3 would make sense, I think, if you wanted to use an accurate (pixel centred and area centred) texture sample for the middle pixel of the 3x3 grid. Performance thing or LOD thing or LOD bug? Who knows!

If it's an attempt at a VRS style software solution, then the down side is it looks a bit shitty compared to "proper" hardware VRS which is much finer grained and more intelligently applied. The plus side is it should work on XO and older PC hardware. Hopefully it won't be needed anywhere come release though. 3x3 blocks at 1080p would be ... brutal.

Last edited:
Can it not be something they implemented in software (for XO)?
A custom solution possibly. I don’t know.

Typically if we are speaking about leveraging the DirectX API, if you don’t have the hardware feature it will emulate it via software. And that’s typically a terrible performance penalty and you’re still restricted to what the limitations are.

I don’t know if it makes sense to do a custom VRS solution when dynamic resolution is likely a much easier thing to do since series X already supports VRS hardware. XBO and 1X can just use reconstruction or dynamic resolution.

Sperasoft Collaborates with 343 Industries on Halo Infinite Development

August 4, 2020 – Sperasoft, a Keywords Studio, is collaborating with 343 Industries and Xbox Game Studios to develop Halo Infinite – the next chapter of the legendary Halo franchise.

With tens of millions of fans all over the world, Halo is a household name, and easily one of the biggest and most beloved series in video game history – which makes Halo Infinite one of the most highly anticipated games in the world today.

Sperasoft specializes in co-development and has been supporting the biggest names in AAA game development with their projects for over 16 years – providing world-class expertise and resources in everything from engineering solutions to games design. For Halo Infinite, the Sperasoft team is contributing to the game’s content across multiple development mandates, developing components of the game and experience – working closely with our new partners at 343.

“It’s an honor to contribute to the most famous FPS series in the world and to support the next generation of the Halo franchise” – said Denis Larkin, Chief Commercial Officer at Sperasoft – “Our development teams are thrilled with our 343 Industries collaboration on the anticipated upcoming release: Halo Infinite”.

Halo Infinite had been originally announced at E3 2018 and returned this year with the world-premiere of campaign gameplay during the Xbox Games Showcase on July 23, 2020. The game will release Holiday 2020 for Xbox Series X, Xbox One, and Windows PC.

Come on, have some sensibility and just delay it until Bungie Day - July 7th and kill off Xbox One version(s).

Come on, have some sensibility and just delay it until Bungie Day - July 7th and kill off Xbox One version(s).
too many cooks in the kitchen. This wont' help solve their issues I think. They really need to resolve their workflows, tooling and processes first. And then they can ramp up quickly by throwing more people at it. But right now, I can't see this helping if people are getting stalled from checking in code for 4 weeks.

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

How about split the difference? They could release the free-to-play multiplayer at launch & then release campaign later?

Tommy McClain

Back