SIE Results Q1 FY20 ($5.63B Revenue, $1.152B Profit, PS4: 112M, PSPlus:45M, 113M active PSN users )

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7537

Another killer quarter. Best PS quarter ever.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_supplement.pdf

upload_2020-8-4_12-0-15.png
g97o7EE.png

Is "active users" a new metric for Sony? I don't see this in the last report from May. Have Sony just started reporting activity like Microsoft? Surely the only reason to do this would be to make comparisons to Xbox easier? Because Monthly Active User without a median monetisation figure is useless for expressing commercial success.

Last edited by a moderator:
With that FY2020 forecast, they are obviously not selling PS5 at a big loss.

So... 499 and 449?

No, they forecast 2.2 billion of profit for FY 2020 and half of it comes from the first quarter 1,1 billion quarter 1 2020. Depending of the launch lineup they will send many games and they told the arrival of PS5 they will reduce the MSRP of PS4. I think PS4 Pro will disappear.

With that FY2020 forecast, they are obviously not selling PS5 at a big loss.

So... 499 and 449?

That's how I see it. I don't see Sony or Microsoft eating $100 per unit for the next 2-3yrs just to undercut each other. Sony has made excellent profits over the course of PS4 lifetime, even without any significant price-cuts to their hardware brand. So yes, no $399 launch models (maybe Lockhart though).

No, they forecast 2.2 billion of profit for FY 2020 and half of it comes from the first quarter 1,1 billion quarter 1 2020. Depending of the launch lineup they will send many games and they told the arrival of PS5 they will reduce the MSRP of PS4. I think PS4 Pro will disappear.
Ok I see it now. Maybe "break even if they buy 2 games and/or a PSPlus sub" like the PS4. The big increase they expect from software sales and PSPlus is softening the losses from hardware launch. And Q1 is already compensating some of it.

Lets say we assume Q3/Q4 to be 12M PS5.... that's 600 million USD losses for a $50 per console. I doubt $100 loss is possible.

Ok I see it now. Maybe "break even if they buy 2 games and/or a PSPlus sub" like the PS4. The big increase they expect from software sales and PSPlus is softening the losses from hardware launch. And Q1 is already compensating some of it.

Lets say we assume Q3/Q4 to be 12M PS5.... that's 600 million USD losses for a $50 per console. I doubt $100 loss is possible.

I think maybe the disk version will be sold at 499 dollars and the discless version at 399 dollars or more aggressive 449 and 399 dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rofit-estimates-plans-100-billion-yen-buyback

Thong said he expects the standard PlayStation 5 unit would be priced at $500 and the disc drive-less version would be sold for $400. Altogether, he said, Sony would sell more than 6 million units of the PlayStation 5 consoles by the end of March next year.

if the BOM estimation of 450 dollars for disk version they won't lose money on the disk version but they will lost probably 80 dollars on PS5 digital but the 2013 calculation is not accurate, the sales of digital rise too much. It was 20/25% at the beginning of the generation.

The profit is so high because of COVID19 digital sales were 74%. They gave sales of first-party games for the first times and most of the sales come from back catalog. The only release were TLOU 2 maybe 4 to 6 million sales and Predator Hunting ground less than 1 million sales.

g97o7EE.png

This fall digital sales will probably be 50 to 70 %.

EDIT: Physical sales is nothing for revenues and profit

Last edited:
I think maybe the disk version will be sold at 499 dollars and the discless version at 399 dollars or more aggressive 449 and 399 dollars.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rofit-estimates-plans-100-billion-yen-buyback

if the BOM estimation of 450 dollars for disk version they won't lose money on the disk version but they will lost probably 80 dollars on PS5 digital but the 2013 calculation is not accurate, the sales of digital rise too much. It was 20/25% at the beginning of the generation.

The profit is so high because of COVID19 digital sales were 74%. They gave sales of first-party games for the first times and most of the sales come from back catalog. The only release were TLOU 2 maybe 4 to 6 million sales and Predator Hunting ground less than 1 million sales.

g97o7EE.png

This fall digital sales will probably be 50 to 70 %.

EDIT: Physical sales is nothing for revenues and profit

Damn. No gen before could have done something like this. A PS1 or SNES would of been limited to 16% of that pie. Digital‘s ability to absorb demand is something physical can’t match unless you are a soothsayer.

Back