Microsoft Project xCloud (Game Streaming), now offering Fortnite free without GPU membership

I thought I heard it was already at 10m?
Also do we know that it's actually core players?
Not saying you're wrong, just curious about your reasoning.

I was talking about the xCloud trial being the core players, rather than Gamepass. You'd really have to be to sign up at present. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Do Gamepass players enseend up engaging with streaming as much as xCloud trial users?

In the Jeuxvideo interview Spenser mentions that the have 100's thousands of players on xCloud. Quite well stress tested then!

(I'm not assuming concurrency, but that's still plenty of concurrent players with a base that large)

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/04/xbox-game-pass-ultimate-cloud-gaming-on-september-15/

ehhh... iphone why....
side note, finally MS trying a bit better at targeting the entire world as it's market and not just north america.
South America and Africa is sorely missed here as well as Mexico and a majority of Asia.

Wasteland 3 on the go would be pretty sick. I'm really starting to go back to those types of genres. Just need some PoE 2!
Today we’re excited to share more about what you can expect. Beginning September 15, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members can play more than 100 games from the cloud on their Android phone or tablet. Cloud gaming will launch in beta for Xbox Game Pass Ultimate members in 22 markets to ensure stability as we scale the feature to millions of gamers.

When cloud gaming launches as part of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, players will have access to more than 100 high-quality games playable from the cloud, including Minecraft Dungeons, Destiny 2, Tell Me Why, Gears 5, Yakuza Kiwami 2, and more. And as we’ve committed to providing day-one access to new titles from Xbox Game Studios as part of Xbox Game Pass, it’s our intent to make those same games available in the cloud from the day they release. We’ll have more to share about the full catalog of games as we approach launch.

Cloud gaming with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate will be available on Android devices in 22 markets at launch, including Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Spain, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

XGPU_CloudGaming-1.jpg

Last edited:

They want 30% of each game sale.

This was nice...

You can also play with your Xbox One Bluetooth Wireless and PlayStation DualShock 4 controllers.

LOL

We’ll also continue to listen to our community and add new features, games and perks to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate over time, including news at Samsung’s Galaxy Unpacked event tomorrow (August 5).

News tomorrow it seems.

Tommy McClain

Here are looks at the new xCloud accessories...

Razer Kishi
XboxWire_Images_Razer_Kishi.jpg

PowerA MOGA XP5-X Plus
XboxWire_Images_PowerA_XP5-X.jpg

PowerA MOGA XP7-X Plus
XboxWire_Images_PowerA_XP7-X.jpg

PowerA MOGA Mobile Gaming Clip 2
XboxWire_Images_PowerA_MOGA-Clip.jpg

8BitDo SN30 Pro
XboxWire_Images_8BitDo_SN30.jpg

8BitDo Mobile Gaming Clip
XboxWire_Images_8BitDo_Clips.jpg

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/08/04/introducing-designed-for-xbox-mobile-gaming-accessories/

Tommy McClain

Yeah Apple takes a cut of subscription purchases that are bought through an iOS app... and will basically not approve apps that try to circumvent it: https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-developer-rage-30-percent-app-store-tax-2020-6

So basically I think Micrososft would have to offer superscription purchases through the app and would lose a cut to Apple.

Though I'd have to think Google is doing the same with Android? Maybe it's a smaller cut?

Yeah Apple takes a cut of subscription purchases that are bought through an iOS app... and will basically not approve apps that try to circumvent it: https://www.businessinsider.com/apple-developer-rage-30-percent-app-store-tax-2020-6

So basically I think Micrososft would have to offer superscription purchases through the app and would lose a cut to Apple.

Though I'd have to think Google is doing the same with Android? Maybe it's a smaller cut?

I think google is a much smaller cut. Audible allows purchases through the app on andriod and always has.

Is MS/Razor charging $20 for microsoft branding ?
https://www.razer.com/mobile-controllers/Razer-Kishi/RZ06-02900100-R3U1

swap between andriod and andriod (xbox) aside from xbox branded buttons why the $20 diffrence ?

Is the current beta implementation of XCloud on Android an APK or on Google Play Store?

Mixer is an odd one I that it was really well used to stream. It was just that no one was watching any of those streams!

They've seen good player engagement with the xCloud trial. Players are playing more. The issue for MS is that these are core players. Does usage grow beyond them? We'll see once it hits the 10m+ Gamepass users.

I don't think we can use Stada as a measure of success for Gamepass streaming. Stada is an expensive tech demo at present. Gamepass's Netflix like model makes it a very different value proposition. Not least because MS can draw people in with 'irresistible' trials.

The problem with mixer was that you couldn't get it on the popular streaming hardware like fire sticks

But it's not legitimately available for download as an APK for consumers. Not saying you couldn't find it if you snooped for it though.

Tommy McClain
No its not at the moment.

I think on android its easier to get around google play. MS is friendly with samsung (They were selling the phones in store) so it may appear on the galaxy store and to get around any fee google wants they could just have it as an apk on their site.

Even Epic is paying the Play Store tax now for Fortnite.

Its region locked tho. Need to use 3rd party site to manually grab the apk and install it.

Then use VPN to supported country. As the xcloud service itself is ip address geo fenced
For obviously very good reasons.

well, I needed something larger than an iphone to be honest. so as long as they release a laptop version I'm good with that.

Back