Business aspects of Subscription Game Libraries [Xbox GamePass, PSNow]

Apart from the fact that the vast majority of that content and revenue is on the xbox hardware.
Absolutely. But can you see why Microsoft may be moving in a direction where the actual hardware is less important and even a point where they just won't make Xbox hardware at all. But then you end up relying on other people's hardware and ecosystems and you lose a degree of control.

Absolutely. But can you see why Microsoft may be moving in a direction where the actual hardware is less important and even a point where they just won't make Xbox hardware at all. But then you end up relying on other people's hardware and ecosystems and you lose a degree of control.
This isn't directed at you at all.

It's just that i see people using things like this as evidence why ms doesn't care about consoles or doesn't much.

The trouble is, on pc the windows store failed, but gamepass is a nice back door into it.
On pc, you got steam, epic games etc that ms is competing with.
Then people say that's why they put their games on steam. Yes they make money from their 1P games, but their not making money on 3P which is where the money is at.

MS/xbox best way forward is to have a solid growing console base and spread out from there. That's where they make the money in the short to medium term.
Depending on what you define as long term, could even say consoles are still most important there also.

On console, ms has a captive audience.
They need to grow that as much as possible.
Gamepass and services are good, but that's because steam and epic hasn't jumped in. If they do then that puts serious pressure on xbox if they haven't got a strong console base.

People are seeing all the branches and leaves but don't realise that the foundation is the console.

Another AA developer talks briefly on his Game Pass business experience

https://www.windowscentral.com/crosscode-xbox-game-pass-has-more-players-other-consoles-combined

"You get a sum ahead of time which is guaranteed... not a lot of people playing the game on Xbox Game Pass on PC... but definitely a lot of people playing on Xbox Game Pass on Xbox One... Right at this moment, there are more people playing on Xbox Game Pass than Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 combined." - Felix Klein, Co-Founder of Radical Fish Games, and Programmer, Artist, & Game Designer of CrossCode

This monetisation mirrors what was said in a recent YouTube discussions with devs over GamePass. This definitely good for developers, especially indie studios.

Right at this moment, there are more people playing on Xbox Game Pass than Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 combined."
Very strange
theres more players playing something that costs them nothing with gamepass vs something that would have to buy for $20 on the other platforms :mrgreen:

Did they ask him which platform he earnt the most money on? i.e. the most important piece of information

https://www.windowscentral.com/crosscode-xbox-game-pass-has-more-players-other-consoles-combined

"You get a sum ahead of time which is guaranteed... not a lot of people playing the game on Xbox Game Pass on PC... but definitely a lot of people playing on Xbox Game Pass on Xbox One... Right at this moment, there are more people playing on Xbox Game Pass than Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 combined." - Felix Klein, Co-Founder of Radical Fish Games, and Programmer, Artist, & Game Designer of CrossCode

But that includes PC and XBOXs right?

Lol what did I miss when I passed out? We didn’t fist the ants enough last night so I loss the energy to keep awake

I'm also still not sure on them making online free to play. I have a nagging thought that it will be part of game pass

So your thinking that Ultimate is the only subscription with everything (Game Pass, Gold, Game Pass PC & xCloud)? People who just get Gold would get Game Pass for free. Those that just get Game Pass would get Gold free. So multiplayer is effectively free for Game Pass users, not free for everyone. That's not a bad compromise, but not nearly as good as what people were expecting.

Tommy McClain

So your thinking that Ultimate is the only subscription with everything (Game Pass, Gold, Game Pass PC & xCloud)? People who just get Gold would get Game Pass for free. Those that just get Game Pass would get Gold free. So multiplayer is effectively free for Game Pass users, not free for everyone. That's not a bad compromise, but not nearly as good as what people were expecting.

Tommy McClain

I think there might be 3 options in pricing lowest to highest

PC Game pass - less games for now onlineincluded no xcloud
Xbox Game pass - All the xbox content on your console
Game Pass Ultimate - PC / XBOX / Xcloud

There maybe in the future have a 4th option that is just xcloud ?

It gives the consumer the largest amount of options

Last edited:
It's a bit concerning that MS doesn't offer operating income figures for their gaming division, only revenue numbers. Which tells me they are probably losing quite a bit of money with gamepass and recent investments (xbox infinite budget was reported to be over 500M already, probably the most expensive game ever). If I were a MS stakeholder I would like to have more transparent information provided by the company, to make sure the CEO is allocating resources to places with higher ROI.

I'm thinking it will be:

Xbox Game Pass($9.99/mth): gamepass + online multiplayer

Xbox Game Pass Ultimate($14.99/mth): :gamepass + online multiplayer + xcloud

It's a bit concerning that MS doesn't offer operating income figures for their gaming division, only revenue numbers. Which tells me they are probably losing quite a bit of money with gamepass and recent investments (xbox infinite budget was reported to be over 500M already, probably the most expensive game ever). If I were a MS stakeholder I would like to have more transparent information provided by the company, to make sure the CEO is allocating resources to places with higher ROI.

If you were a MS stake holder you would most likely have killed red dog back in 2006/7. Today Red Dog is the biggest earner for Microsoft. I doubt game pass will become bigger than Red Dog but it has the potential to become extremely large for MS over time. Game pass isn't limited to MS's console fortunes either it will be available on a wide variety of hardware

Back