Some folks don't like Digital Foundry *flip-off*

Slightly hypocritical for DF to complain about overzealous fanboys now, when fanning the flames of the console wars has been their bread and butter for years.

hymn0DJ.png

I think you misunderstood. DF are complaining about fanboys haranguing them for their supposed bias towards one particular platform, when they rely on stoking up the 'platform wars' in the first place.

I think you misunderstood. DF are complaining about fanboys haranguing them for their supposed bias towards one particular platform, when they rely on stoking up the 'platform wars' in the first place.
Think he's understood what you meant.
Just that this isn't thread for it, either find an appropriate one or start a new one to discuss if you think that is the case and if they do or do not fan the flames either on purpose or as a side affect.
This is so off topic and will only get more so with no technical merit, which this thread is about.

That's fine. Understood. Just didn't appreciate the insinuation that I was engaging in the 'platform wars' or 'character assassinations' for pointing it out.

They rely on providing as much as an objective view on performance that they can. They report on the technical aspects, it's entirely up to people on how that information is wielded by people. Once again the commentary in question is the same we had here, people are criticizing DF for not creating an article that meets their requirements of what they wanted to see; which is a complete slamming of Halo.

That was not the goal of Alex's video.

Lastly, that guy Tominator told John to go kill himself. That's well beyond harassment over something as trivial as Alex trying to explain technical concepts that the general public has very little understanding of.

You seem to have left out this doozy.

Getting harassed for your genuine work is really not a great experience / feeling. Sometimes it's easier to simply ignore them than to give them any attention by replying, blocking, etc.

Because whatever you do, people like them will keep coming. Also unless you are a really popular public figure, it could be rather hard to get them banned from the platform.

Slightly hypocritical for DF to complain about overzealous fanboys now, when fanning the flames of the console wars has been their bread and butter for years.
It is not Digital Foundry's fault if fanboys use DF's analysis for their own flame wars.
They are as objective as they can, and objectivity doesn't please everyone. Sometimes it will satisfy/disappoint one side of the fence and some times the other.

Sure. The pattern is always the same. New generation of consoles launch, DF launches their face-off series of videos. Fanboys get riled up and argue over which console is better, until everyone eventually accepts the status quo. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Sure. The pattern is always the same. New generation of consoles launch, DF launches their face-off series of videos. Fanboys get riled up and argue over which console is better, until everyone eventually accepts the status quo. Wash, rinse, repeat.
I think DF is moving on from this as being their staple. They have more ways to generate content instead of just pure comparisons. Not to mention more ways to generate revenue.

A lot of people complain about DF, but there are very few people that support their patreon. Surprisingly few given the audience size that they have.
People just want their info to consume for console wars. Very few people appreciate the time and effort that goes into making their articles.

Just didn't appreciate the insinuation that I was engaging in the 'platform wars' or 'character assassinations' for pointing it out.

You are automatically engaging in a platform war by selectively sharing a console-war discussion in the DF thread, commenting yourself the following:

Slightly hypocritical for DF to complain about overzealous fanboys now

In the wrong thread for it none the less. I got an alert about a new post in the DF technical discussion thread, thought 'intresting maybe a new DF video is being shared', but what i saw was a already beaten to-death discussion about DF complaining about fans comment with a picture of someone that has publicly told DF members to kill themselfs on another occasion that was left out (for whatever reason).
It's disgusting, DF member Alex might stop passing by here if things like this keep appearing.

The hate on game companies and tech reviewers has only got to new levels it seems, console analysis and comments are not fun anymore, as DF also thought. See what happened to a GG dev, a Sony engineer, and even gabe from valve. All have gotten death-threaths.

I think for everyone, it's just to respect both MS and Sony for what they do, Sony does the traditional generations thingy which will wow more at the beginning, while MS has a more rolling-like generation, which for obvious reasons won't create a jump as we are used to. But they will get there a few years in (as they had announced awhile back). They are more like the PC, adjusting slowly to new hardware without forgetting 100's of million customers. Sony forces everyone to upgrade basically but on the upside you get that fresh all-new console experience.

Just get both, you wont have to justify either platform choice. I have my 2080Ti pc and will get a PS5 at or near launch, i will have both MS and Sony games at my fingertips, best of both worlds.

Edit: ive been there, engaging in platform wars, but it has no way forward, it's only tiring. PS5 will offer what MS doesn't and the other way around. I like both for different reasons, and i think it's intresting to discuss the differences, aslong people dont create wars :p

I haven't watched the halo stuff which one guy complains about. But i have watched other videos.

Lets for a moment remove the fact that people willing to find them on twitter and threaten their lives are a bit more hard core than the average viewer. IF your an average gamer and want to know if COD is better on which system what are you going to do? Maybe the way it presents itself as better is by zooming in on the details. Maybe it is the diffrence between someone saying hey this game feels line when playing to seeing a frame time graph or a fps graph with large dips in certain senarios. If you didn't already choose which console you wanted going into it then it would be information that would benefit you.

Or lets take halo. Your a die hard halo fan your going to want to see the diffrences between all the options.

I tried to paste the whole twitter convo, but the image was cut off. I'm not justifying the abuse btw.
You wrote that they're hypocritical and that "fanning the flames of the console wars has been their bread and butter for years."
You came on here, and felt that it would be appropriate to post this rubbish on B3D.
You may not 'justifying the abuse' but you are 100% part of it.

I can’t tell you how many people in the movie industry were laughing at them back in 2006 (I think they did this, if it wasn’t them it was those using their techniques) when they tried to determine the resolution of movies without understanding anything about film or live image capture. The realized resolution of a live capture literally changes every single frame. Even if it were averaged changes from shot to shot in the same scene due to different cameras, different lenses, different film stocks, different lighting, a literal thousand variables.

For reference, a frame of 35mm film under optimal conditions contains over 4k equivalent information. IMAX, running the film sideways like VistaVision can get over 8k, but realistically floats in the 6-7 range. All of this complicated by generational loss between negative and release print. An authority told me once he didn’t feel 70mm was worth it any more, because a good 4k digital master is as good as 90% of 70mm release prints.

Really is there a way that DF can provide their technical analysis without getting attention from fanboys as a side effect?
Should DF ban their brilliant work because of others' faults?
I think it's fine to point out egregious examples of bad ports or games which is a good service for game consumers, but there's a fine line between that and over-analysis. Where that line is, I don't know.

Last edited:
Back