Sony PS5 NVME Expansion Options?

I know what it does but where did you get the info that this is handled by the I/O controller?

It was explicitly stated by cerny in the hw deep talk he gave. Coherency engine which is part of i/o complex instructs gpu cache scrubbers on what to do. This happens behind the scenes, without cpu use and works for both internal ssd and the additional nvme ssd. Both ssd's connect to i/o complex.

But how long will it have to benchmark third party devices to make sure it being used constantly doesnt trigger throttling? Or does it present that as a warning to the user so they're aware it might be an issue?
Ideally, they would put it in an env test chamber at 35C, random read continuously at max bandwidth, and monitor the controller's temperature sensor (the one which would trigger a throttling). It would get closer to an obvious asymptote. Pass/Fail based on how far the asymptote is from the throttling threshold.

They already have samples from manufacturers to test, and they said the QVL would be published a bit past the PS5 launch. That might indicate an extensive testing and/or some back and forth with manufacturers to apply firmware fixes for performance or latency or priority issues. Software at this low level have a very long chain of validation. There's also enough time for manufacturers to comply with sony's thermal requirements.

Ideally, they would put it in an env test chamber at 35C, random read continuously at max bandwidth, and monitor the controller's temperature sensor (the one which would trigger a throttling). It would get closer to an obvious asymptote. Pass/Fail based on how far the asymptote is from the throttling threshold.

They already have samples from manufacturers to test, and they said the QVL would be published a bit past the PS5 launch. That might indicate an extensive testing and/or some back and forth with manufacturers to apply firmware fixes for performance or latency or priority issues. Software at this low level have a very long chain of validation.

We were talking about what they would do for consumers. I don't think every consumer has their own environmental test chamber.

We were talking about what they would do for consumers. I don't think every consumer has their own environmental test chamber.
Consumers would just buy the certified drives, is there anything more for them to know?

The latest discussion was what happens if you put in a noncertified drive.

I believe they said that the system would benchmark the drive and return a verdict. It’s possible that a certified device could just be whitelisted

I believe they said that the system would benchmark the drive and return a verdict. It’s possible that a certified device could just be whitelisted
Well, benchmarks ... if not running a while, benchmarks won't tell you the full story.
nvme drives tend to not holding their speed very long. Overheating is issue no 1. No. 2 is, to small cache, ...
The Problem for sony is, they can't get past the internal IO of the nvme drive. To equalize that, it must be faster. But after all I've so far seen, I doubt that the ps5 drive can (or must) hold the speed at all time. Doesn't really make much sense that the drive should hold the speed for a longer period of time. Most times games should just quickly load something and than the drive has time to cool down a few ms and than the next load begins. It should not be the case, that a game loads data over minutes at full speed, at least I don't see a use case for something like this. Small bursts of data-streams would be more than enough.

Well, benchmarks ... if not running a while, benchmarks won't tell you the full story.
nvme drives tend to not holding their speed very long. Overheating is issue no 1. No. 2 is, to small cache, ...
The Problem for sony is, they can't get past the internal IO of the nvme drive. To equalize that, it must be faster. But after all I've so far seen, I doubt that the ps5 drive can (or must) hold the speed at all time. Doesn't really make much sense that the drive should hold the speed for a longer period of time. Most times games should just quickly load something and than the drive has time to cool down a few ms and than the next load begins. It should not be the case, that a game loads data over minutes at full speed, at least I don't see a use case for something like this. Small bursts of data-streams would be more than enough.

For internal Sony will most likely have heatsinks that integrate with the systems air flow well. I would hope they designed some type of cooling. It could be dificult without thermal pads.

If only they had that long promised PS5 Teardown. Then we'd know.
It's good to see you have a second Sony-related obsession to keep your Life of Black Tiger obsession company. One more and you get a free sandwich. :LOL:

Back