How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Quantity?

I speak as a predominantly sony and nintendo gamer, some PC games on steam, and so much winUAE nostalgia that I still have the best of 1987 Karsten Obarski in my mp3 player. I think maybe MS should reconsider whether quantity is a plan that is working for them.

They need a library of franchises that get praised as unavoidable masterpieces, they need to dominate at least one genre. That's how I moved my primary platform from PC-Junior, to Amiga, to PC, to Nintendo, to Playstation. How do they think some of the user base move from one platform to another during a generation transition?

Your opinion. I think they are well on their way with Halo, Forza, Gears, Fable, Sea of Thieves, Ori, Psychonauts. Some of these need more consistency, but a true commitment could get them there. I didn't say they would get there for sure, just outlining what I think is their strategy.

Some will. Do they also own game controllers? Streaming removes that vital console barrier to entry but you are going to struggle without a good controller. Even if xCloud offers one of those touch-based controller interface, you can use it but you probably won't enjoy it.
or maybe they do and you will.

Well, we can see Horizon on PC. It looks like a PS4 game, but with more resolution and framerate depending on your setup, and some more details here and there. The game still has that 'PS4 look' to it. Same for Death Stranding.

Personally, I don't want to buy a next gen console to play PS4 games with higher framerate and res. And I think that the general consensus is the same, otherwise there would not have been such a huge uproar at Halo Infinite and a generally universal praise for what Sony has shown so far.
Doing catch up reading. My first experience with a game tech started with the famous Atari 2600. However my first PC was the 286 and I never had a look at a console even though I had played on my nephews Nintendo(on which Super Mario became famous) and the PS1/2/3 and my other nephew's Xbox360. None of those consoles really captured me although Gran Tourismo on the playstations would be the game to make me think about buying a console.

The original PS4 I own is the first console I have owned and I bought it because of the exclusives it had that PC didn't. Also Xbox was more expensive and I didn't fancy any of the launch games. For PS4 I started with Killzone SF, Infamous Second Son and were games that had that other good look, something I hadn't seen on any of the consoles before or even on PC. Then it was quiet for a while with the first party games and third party games like Destiny 1/2 and Rainbow 6 Siege were the games I played on the PS4. Then GT Sport appeared and I got that and think it's great. There were a few indie's I really liked too but through it all I had my PC which I would upgrade from time to time. Now my PC CPU is six gen old and my GPU is one gen old and I will upgrade later this year or next. My last PC games I bought on day one was RB6 Siege(yes I had it on PS4 first but preferred playing on PC) and TC's The Division. I will not

The PS4 was a smashing success imo and I loved the exclusives that came out the last 3 years. HZD, GoW, Spider-man, TLoU2 and GoT have been awesome to experience and see on the PS4 so I will definitely be getting the PS5 which will become only the second console I have ever owned.

I have definitely bought more day one PS4 games the last 7 years than I bought PC games. That said I will still choose a PC game if it's on both PC and PS4.

I am also not really interested in gamepass. It might be good value but I don't see it as I don't need old games to keep my happy, or small indie games. There's been a lot of supposed big AAA games from developers like Ubisoft, Bethesda and EA etc. that have jaded me from buying any of their games anymore and I have found Sony's exclusives to be top notch, gameplay, story and graphics wise. Well done Sony.

-------------------------

Back to London-boy's post - While there are some that might not want to play HZD even on PC, there are a lot that do. Hitting no1 on Steams best seller list a month ago in the UK shows that there are plenty PC gamers that want the PS4 gameplay and story.

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/202...traight_to_the_top_of_steam_best-sellers_list

Also if GG can do the same magic that Kogima did with Death Stranding, then this game should look great on the PC too.

Last edited:
I used to be all about AAA titles that I consumed maybe every 6-12 months. But you never know what you're missing until you try something new. Game Pass definitely opened my eyes to more ideas.

Here's my gaming pedigree:

Atari 2600
Osborne 1
IBM PCjr
NES
286 clone
PCs upgraded over the next 12 years
Original Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

I've been done with PC gaming for almost 19 years.

Tommy McClain

Yeah the problem with new controller "features" at this point is getting developers to support it. I blame Nintendo somewhat, they take everything to extreme and it ends up being seen as a gimmick. Motion controls in a limited form are not gimmicky and can improve the experience...ie gyro aiming.

The biggest issue with nintendo is the cost of the controllers and the quality. My left joy con disconnects all the time and decides to move itself in random directions. The problem is a new set is like $90 bucks. I wish they would put out a set at a lower price without all the motion and hd rumble features

Back