Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

Because the entire sky from horizon to horizon is a light source in atmosphere due to atmospheric scattering. That's not the case in space. It should actually be computationally easier to achieve realistic lighting in space because almost all of the light is or can be reasonably approximated as direct light from point sources, even reflections off of things like moons and planets which despite their size are relatively narrow and highly directional compared to the sky while being in atmo.
Pretty sure they use directional SSAO and in some cases use it to have some form of shadowing for lights without shadow maps.
Should become useful in nebula, animated objects etc.

I'm sure all the people that are playing and enjoying the game are suffering from "Stockholm syndrome" :rolleyes:
Thats what it looks like to me, if it walks like a duck,quacks like a duck etc (though I thought ducks waddle?)

Its not just me who thinks this
https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/2018/11/18/200m-later-star-citizen-and-backers-stockholm-syndrome/
“Eight years and $200m later, Star Citizen still doesn’t have a final release date” This is textbook Stockholm syndrome, and I really pity and feel sorry for people backing this long-running scam.

Videogame vet who co-founded 3D Realms & Apogee. Made Duke Nukem 3D & dozens more.

edit: just saw the date of that twitter post, 5 years ago!! :oops:

Last edited:
edit: just saw the date of that twitter post, 5 years ago!!
Yes, and we've heard all this stuff before, 5 years ago and more. Since you've just discovered the history of SC, no one wants to hear the usual ramblings about how this game still isn't released, how much money is being sunk into it, etc etc. Irrespective of our opinions, we've heard it all before and posting more of the same stuff doesn't advance any discussion on the game.

Pretty sure they use directional SSAO and in some cases use it to have some form of shadowing for lights without shadow maps.

He's not saying they don't use SSDO, he's saying that the omnidirection lightsource of the "sky" is easier to approximate, because it is mostly a step-function (because of lack of scattering light across the whole hemisphere). As suggestion it shouldn't be a surprise (given the technical foundation) that the SSDO looks (or can look) better than applied inside volumes, for which the whole volume itself is a varying/dynamic light-source. Independent of the presence of special approximations, it's the situation which is evoking less artifacts, and tends to be nearer to ground-truth.

Thats what it looks like to me, if it walks like a duck,quacks like a duck etc (though I thought ducks waddle?)

Its not just me who thinks this
https://g33kp0rn.wordpress.com/2018/11/18/200m-later-star-citizen-and-backers-stockholm-syndrome/

Videogame vet who co-founded 3D Realms & Apogee. Made Duke Nukem 3D & dozens more.

edit: just saw the date of that twitter post, 5 years ago!! :oops:
Damn... lol coming from the guy who made DNF.

Welp, all we need is John Romero to remind me how he's going to make me his bitch and the circle is complete.

Damn... lol coming from the guy who made DNF.
:LOL: I see you're right, I thought it was just the first game (which gave me really bad motion sickness btw )
from wiki 'The 3D Realms website notes that he is probably the only person in the industry to have misspelled his own name (as "Broussad") on a shareware title he created on his own, Pharaoh's Tomb.'
George 'QC' Broussard

Star Citizen persistent world has been playable for a long time and is constantly being iterated upon with new features and content. Yes, you can actually do stuff in SC.

The single player game? Who knows lol

Currently the biggest problems are bugs, NPCs, enemies on ground and the performance. With every new version there are bugs which are annoying. It always takes a while until a version is running acceptably. I wonder how they will handle this in the future.

Regarding the bugs and the server structure I have the biggest doubts.

Well spotted
question : what happens if your ship is destroyed?

Depending on the size and cost of the ship it can be respawned for free after 1 to 60 minutes. In the future you will need to have some insurance.

___

When playing this game I often think about that Oblivion movie which I really enjoed.

sc_screens (3).jpg

sc_screens (2).jpg

sc_screens (6).jpg

sc_screens (4).jpg

sc_screens (5).jpg

Changing weapon items in realtime reminds me on Crysis. Still I would like to move while changing attachments.
sc_screens (1).jpg

Last edited:
Graphics are imo average at most. The animation and glitches are beyond meh...can‘t get even the basics right in their engine...meh.
hey dont forget that will be the revamp they are working on for alpha 25 in 5 years time

I don't know what you exactly mean with animation but weapon animations are great, character animation is mostly good, vehicle animations are complex with many movable objects. In most other games you cant even open drawers, cupboards so all in all this game is quite good animationwise. Most bad looking animations are due bad server sync.

But there are many bugs and glitches.

Graphics is good in particular when I think of all the console games that were celebrated because of the graphics. Here you fly over a larger area in 5 to 10 seconds and than most games are large in their entirety. In Star Citizen one city area are already bigger than most open world games and here you can also reach the horizon and it is not a 2D texture like in some other praised games.

hey dont forget that will be the revamp they are working on for alpha 25 in 5 years time

The annual progress is decent. As long as that's the case, I'm satisfied. In some other games, however, very little happens.

Gotta admit that more than once I've seen screenshots and just wished I could be flying a ship in that world. :)

Something I would expect from a digital Wanderer.

Last edited:
Graphics is good in particular when I think of all the console games that were celebrated

Thats because of the controversy and politics behind the game, and the fact its not on console. Another dev should take the SC engine and create a SP masterpiece set in space with it, on ps5. Then you will hear about it. Otherwise, check out DF, they dont do politics and platform preferences.

In no way do i agree with the projects funding, like said wont back this scam from my side with a single penny. But i do like the technical aspects of the game.

Graphics is good in particular when I think of all the console games that were celebrated because of the graphics
link to a video, I had a search and couldnt see anything amazing, I see a lot where everything is turned all the way to maximum, texture size, polygon count etc but nothing with really amazing graphics it just looks like a clean pristine world at high resolution, nothing looks alive

link to a video, I had a search and couldnt see anything amazing, I see a lot where everything is turned all the way to maximum, texture size, polygon count etc but nothing with really amazing graphics it just looks like a clean pristine world at high resolution, nothing looks alive

I think you mean art direction, whilest some others might see the technical aspects of the engine. The best links you can get are probably those from digital foundry.

I had a quick look at the videos skipping through, its impressive the scale or what they are doing. Thats easily the most impressive part,
OTOH if you look at any of the parts individually then none are near the top of their class.
Its like they are attempting too much and in doing so nothing actually looks top class

I think that just for SC, it's the details that impress, together with the scale, SSD streaming tech, textures, and the particle effects like the sandstorm. I think it was also very impressive that Alex could spot high up in the atmosphere from the surface of a planet.
Thing is, because of the large scale and many planets, fidelity perhaps can't be consistent all over the place.

Otherwise SC is above anything else to me, even above anything MS and Sony have shown so far. On the downside, the project could be considered a scam, a tech demo, and will probably never finish.

Back