Formula 1 - 2020 Season

Red Bull could have gambled with Verstappen's tires and possibly taken the win, but chose to play it safe and grab fastest lap.
Yes, they could have gambled, that however doesn't change Hamiltons luck with his tyre going after passing pitlane and gone to last lap, otherwise he would have been forced to pit (I didn't actually get the watch it due work shift, but surely flat tyre counts as dangerous which has to be pitted for, and he would have been punished if the tyre went earlier than last chance to enter pits)

Last edited:
Ironic that Mercedes’ typically conservative strategy call (i.e., do nothing unless nec’y) almost ruined both their races whereas RB’s typically astute call cost them a victory...in hindsight. Looking at it honestly, RB made the sensible call and Merc got massively lucky. Ferrari is racking up points and Albon keeps having bad luck, so there’s nothing wrong with guaranteed points to try to solidify second in the constructors’ when you know there’s no chance of first.

I can’t believe they couldn’t start Hulk’s car. I’m not one for conspiracy theories, but when was the last time a car couldn’t start? Really disappointing Hulk wasn’t in the mix on a day when even Ocon with a Renault engine was having multple goes at Lance’s Mercedes lite.

I think the last time we had tires fail was at Silverstone, right? This time it was the fronts.

Edit: Ham was doubly lucky in that his tire stayed on. I guess you could describe as the tread separating from the sidewalls but remaining “attached” to the wheel like a hulahoop. If it had flown to pieces and he had driven on, maybe that would have warranted something.

I think the last time we had tires fail was at Silverstone, right? This time it was the fronts.

Edit: Ham was doubly lucky in that his tire stayed on. I guess you could describe as the tread separating from the sidewalls but remaining “attached” to the wheel like a hulahoop. If it had flown to pieces and he had driven on, maybe that would have warranted something.

Doubt it. Most of the time they just drive it back to the pits even if the tire is shredding itself and half the car in the process. Never heard of anyone being forced to stop by the race director for that.

Doubt it. Most of the time they just drive it back to the pits even if the tire is shredding itself and half the car in the process. Never heard of anyone being forced to stop by the race director for that.
I have seen a shredded tire rip up the front wing which could certainly force a stoppage if it were dragging.

Giovinazzi was seen and reprimanded or sternly talked to by the stewards for driving his disintegrating car back to the pits in P1 or P2 (didnt catch P3). Different than a race situation, granted, but given the tire problems it might be enforced next week if they go forward with their plan for softer tires. Or it would just bring out a safety car, as usual.

How the hell are other teams supposed to knock Merc off the top when even with a final lap puncture they still get a win :runaway:

At this point Vettel -> Racing point would be an upgrade.

Kvyat had a great start but pushed too hard/had a puncture & rough crash.
Gasly had a good race, apparently AT got some good upgrades/found a setup sweetspot.

Also imagine how much further away into the distance Mercedes would have been without the safety cars ... perhaps the other teams should work together asking the lesser teams to occasionally crash when the Mercedes are too far ahead ...

OR
ferrari engines went backwards due to shenanigans being stopped by tech regs

if mclaren continues their trajectory, they will be good with merc engines next year
danny ric better get his brakes sorted in the macca for some stylish overtakings, cant wait :)

Also imagine how much further away into the distance Mercedes would have been without the safety cars ... perhaps the other teams should work together asking the lesser teams to occasionally crash when the Mercedes are too far ahead ...
they didnt really need to push that much, bottas tried to attack hamilton but hamilton could match anything bottas threw at him

bad for the championship that it wasnt the other way around though

Reactions: Jay
they didnt really need to push that much, bottas tried to attack hamilton but hamilton could match anything bottas threw at him

bad for the championship that it wasnt the other way around though
Also like to add that Hamilton made most of his own luck here.
If he qualified P2, and was the one pushing Bottas then it would've most likely had been his tire punchering first.

Back