AMD: Navi Speculation, Rumours and Discussion [2019-2020]

Status
Not open for further replies.
4x larger VGPR file?
Doesn’t look like changed vs Navi 10. It was perceived by shaders as 4x in number over Vega 10 because of RDNA arch changes (SIMD width doubled; wavefront size halved). But IIRC the total size in SRAM did not change.

It is valid.
Notice the smaller number of RBEs per SE.
:^)

64 ROPs seems like an... interesting design decision if that's what it ends up as.
Higher clocks might help a bit compared to Navi10, but it'll be interesting to see how it stacks up at super high resolutions and frame rates.

For example, games at 8k resolution or even 4k with a 120fps target, or anything VR which tends to be very light on compute but heavy on ROPs and bandwidth. Doubly so for those that use forward renderers and MSAA.

Are you sure it has 64ROPs?

That's the most immediate conclusion that everyone seems to be drawing just from looking at the leaked numbers, but you're right, there could be more things in play.
The definition of a 'backend'/RBE may have changed, these particular ones may now be 8-wide each instead of 4, etc.

I dunno, but when is someone gonna put out something new? I think I've almost saved up enough hubby-points for a new viddy card for under $300 but I gotta wait for the next gen to drop since my 8GB 580 is still doing just fine compared to what I could currently get. (Still can't believe I picked it up for under $150us, yatta!)

I wish AMD was less hysterically paranoid and actually presented their upcoming stuff this HotChips but alas.
I dunno, but when is someone gonna put out something new? I think I've almost saved up enough hubby-points for a new viddy card for under $300 but I gotta wait for the next gen to drop since my 8GB 580 is still doing just fine compared to what I could currently get. (Still can't believe I picked it up for under $150us, yatta!)
N23 (the small one) is Q1'21.
Same for mainstream nVidia furnaces.
So you basically have to wait 2Q.

I wish AMD was less hysterically paranoid and actually presented their upcoming stuff this HotChips but alas.

N23 (the small one) is Q1'21.
Same for mainstream nVidia furnaces.
So you basically have to wait 2Q.
Thanks, I'd rather have a sad truth than a happy lie. This way I won't get my expectations up or be in a rush. My 580 will hold out until then just spiffy, this upgrade I got lucky and I'm running just about the perfect rig for "recommended hardware" for most triple-A titles. (Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9, 8GB 580, 2x8GB ram) It really makes me smile reading the specs lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back