Grounded (Obsidian Entertainment) [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

the game, no. IRL not really. I used to be, but that phobia ended a while back.

Lucky you, always been afraid of spiders, never got over that. And im living in northern sweden where spiders don't get so big :p Never really been unconfortable about it in games though, maybe in Doom 3 abit.

pretty interesting feedback , about 2 months ago they did a survey about different levels of realism in games using very low quality spider models that were 3 cricles with block like legs all the way to highly detailed. I am assuming its this game they did it for

yep they put that in the game's accessibility option. Really nice.

But it could be a gameplay issue? as the right-most slider will remove all spider legs. So it will have way lower visibility

Did anybody else know this?

Hold down on Dpad. Top option...

30-07-2020_13-45-17-0lrmw5w2-scaled.jpg

https://twinfinite.net/2020/07/grounded-third-person-view-switch/

Tommy McClain

Details on the new Novemeber update(aka Pond Update) that includes a bunch new improvements & new features...

• Smart Delivery support. As expected, Grounded will fully support Xbox's Smart Delivery, which means you'll get the best possible version of the game for your device with no additional costs or effort.
  • Performance targets for both consoles. Grounded will deliver to the max on the Xbox Series X at a sharp 4K resolution and 60fps, as we already knew, but now we also know the Xbox Series S will deliver the same smooth 60fps, but at a lower 1080p resolution.
  • Improved draw distance. Grounded looks great, but things tend to fade into the distance a little quicker than expected. Next-gen consoles will dramatically improve this.
  • Improved shadow quality. Again thanks to next-gen improvements, Grounded will also feature higher quality shadows.
  • Reduced load times. The standard and lightning fast SSD included in both of the new Xbox's means loading into Grounded will be faster than ever.
  • A performance boost on all platforms. Grounded's next-gen enhancements don't just affect the Xbox Series X and S. Expect some increased performance on very device, including the aging OG Xbox One and One S.
  • HDR support. If you have a compatible TV, Grounded will look better with HDR on, featuring better contrast, brighter colors, and more vibrancy in general.

• The pond is now the Koi Pond. As the name surmises, this update focuses on the pond already present in Grounded, completely overhauling it and filling it with all kinds of content, making it an entirely new area for players to explore. Just...watch out for the fish.
  • Adds a ton of content. The Pond Update adds underwater mechanics, three new creatures and a major change to an existing creature, new equipment like weapons and armor, new base building options, and a ton of reasons to go and take a swim around.
  • No update in October. Because of the sheer size of the Pond Update, it needs a little bit more work. This means there will be no content update in October. Instead, interested players can join a public insider test of the Pond Update starting today, with the full update heading to Grounded's early access sometime in November.

More details from the source...
https://www.windowscentral.com/grounded-november-content-update

They also did an interview with Grounded Game Director Adam Brennecke.

Tommy McClain

The game is still in early access and so are the optimizations for the Xbox Series consoles, some settings below the PC.

Does anybody know if Grounded viable (and fun) to play solo it?

Does anybody know if Grounded viable (and fun) to play solo it?
I think they have a creative mode which removes some survival aspects of the game, but I am not sure how that flows in with the story experience.

I've only briefly started a new game solo and tried my hand at exploring and building. Next thing you know it was getting dark and I hadn't yet created a shelter for safety. If I nap to skip a few hours at night, I think I would be woken up by unfriendly critters. This is where I would want the game to not advance time until I reach and complete certain objectives. Or I need to treat it as a rogue-like deja-vu ground-hog day of restarting to get a better run.

I think this becomes easier with others especially if they have an idea on what and how to do things. A downside to that is if others do what's needed then I may not figure it out for myself so I'm never building up that knowledge or skill base.

I was having fun getting used to the game and the initial mechanics but my time so far wouldn't even be 1% into the game by my estimates. Maybe it has a critical-mass like events where after a certain point the items and creations really get rolling with rapid advances.

I think they have a creative mode which removes some survival aspects of the game, but I am not sure how that flows in with the story experience.

The survival aspect appeals, I don't juse don't want to hit a wall/grind four hours in because it's just me versus the world. I'll probably give this a try something over the Christmas period, because the concept is really cool.

I've put a couple of hours into this and I'm really enjoying it apart from the billion menus which are a bit overwhelming when you're new. I am gradually getting used to the UI but still end up in the wrong context menu quite a lot. It reminds me, unsurprisingly, of when I first started in Minecraft back in early beta, because the world is vast, and everything is new, and learning what is scary and what isn't is great fun.

I am resistant looking at any guides, and enjoying exploring, uncovering the story of what has happened. This is definitely a Game Pass highlight for me! ❤️

I've been meaning to dive into as well at some point. It's an MS success story to be sure, kind of like Sea of Thieves.
I remember watching a stream of Grounded from launch, which I didn't realise was pre-launch, and it's obviously changed hugely since them. The playable space has got, much, much larger. The graphics/presentation are fantastic and they have absolutely nailed the movement of the insects. It's a joy to wander around and because the environment is so dynamic it doesn't feel like there are any truly safe spaces and some critters move so quickly.

I would recommend going in blind and seeing how you get on, unless you find that type of thing frustrating. I really enjoy the satisfying feeling of lobbing a spear at an insect.

I'd like to get into Sea of Thieves but everything I've read is that there are too many griefing mechanics to really play solo without assholes making life miserable. If I've got that wrong, do let me know because that is the only thing putting me off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back