How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

You keep ragging on those 2 movies like they did poorly. They did not. They both made over $700 million. They perhaps were not as well received critically but that speaks to the strength of the franchise.

Also, I know we’re joking around, but! Spider-Man on PS4 has characters that resembled nobody, literally, and it was a pretty great game.

You keep ragging on those 2 movies like they did poorly. They did not. They both made over $700 million. They perhaps were not as well received critically but that speaks to the strength of the franchise.

I personally rated those movies as good if not better than the recent ones:yep2:

Have you checked your carbon monoxide detector recently?

Maybe it's because I'm more interested in the acting and story than just action set pieces which most marvel movies have become.

Not that those movies were fantastic or anything but I don't really see how the new ones are any better, in fact most new marvel movies are practically just music videos. A bunch of action set pieces put together.

Maybe it's because I'm more interested in the acting and story than just action set pieces which most marvel movies have become.

Not that those movies were fantastic or anything but I don't really see how the new ones are any better, in fact most new marvel movies are practically just music videos. A bunch of action set pieces put together.
I think the Staten Island Ferry scene in Spiderman Homecoming trying to imitate the subway scene in Spiderman 2 is illustrative in how Marvelization actually has diluted the drama for spectacle. Being bigger doesn't even come close to being better by any stretch.
Iron Man Super Spider suits don't really help much either cool though they are.

Whatever marketing we can say has been done for the next generation of consoles seems to be gaining traction. Some random canvasing by MCV here.

Looks like Sony already has gained quite a bit of momentum, outside of the hard core gaming circles. This makes it look like MS's marketing on 'you don't need to buy a series X' is working quite well :/

tl;dr - 84% to buy PS5 vs 15% to buy Series X.

Whatever marketing we can say has been done for the next generation of consoles seems to be gaining traction. Some random canvasing by MCV here.

Looks like Sony already has gained quite a bit of momentum, outside of the hard core gaming circles. This makes it look like MS's marketing on 'you don't need to buy a series X' is working quite well :/

Well, it is clearly the most ludicrous PR spin I've heard in recent memory, and the results will be clear to anyone who cares about this stuff.

I'm not necessarily sure the cross gen bit is directly related to its failure.
WRT the marketing of the Xbox Series X, at no point in history has Xbox Series X ever had more interest than PS5. At PS5's trending peak, it was nearly 6x more popular during the June reveals.
The July showcase would have been the only thing to sort of bridge that gap, but it didn't happen.

Eek, that's frightening.

I guess Microsoft just forgot why people *actually like* generational changes to their games.

Eek, that's frightening.

I guess Microsoft just forgot why people *actually like* generational changes to their games.
ehh, you're right in that the console probably isn't doing too hot, from all discussion about it and some basic metrics I can glean.

The story about cross gen isn't about the hardware though, it should be about the software.
The software seems to be hitting it's stride in the open markets here, since it's open platform and cross gen.

XGS is doing very well in this regard. The numbers for halo preorders will likely be very high as we approach release (and they let people buy it)

Last edited:
How much time will they have to make the sales pitch for lockhart, and educate the public about the distinction between the two SKUs?

As far as the general public goes, lockhart still doesn't exist and the only console from MS is Series X. We're going into August without knowing any specs nor a single game being shown running on that rumored lower spec console.

The next gen games are currently being advertised, both 1P and 3P. Journalists are building games lists, deconstructing the convoluted exclusivity wording, and building FAQs. Multiple articles about the differences between the two brands, specs, features. Everything including the actual trailers are only mentioning games "coming out on Series X" or even "Series X exclusive".

They will have to delete the internet, it's the only way to be sure.

ehh, you're right in that the console probably isn't doing too hot, from all discussion about it and some basic metrics I can glean.

The story about cross gen isn't about the hardware though, it should be about the software.
The software seems to be hitting it's stride in the open markets here, since it's open platform and cross gen.

XGS is doing very well in this regard. The numbers for halo preorders will likely be very high as we approach release (and they let people buy it)

Maybe it'll be so successful that they'll move their Xbox-as-a-service to PlayStation? ;)

Maybe it'll be so successful that they'll move their Xbox-as-a-service to PlayStation? ;)
heh, I would gather that MS would actually attempt to do it (and I think they should as an investor) but I don't think Sony or Nintendo are letting that happen. I think this came up in the past. They won't allow competitors services on their platforms.

Running game pass on as many platforms as possible matches MS' strengths. They are ultimately a software company. That's their bread and butter. I would rather them focus on making software and services better than to try to compete in a hardware space.

Under the same vein, android is okay with xcloud so far. Not sure what's happening with Apple, they seem to not be onboard with it. XCloud on iphone isn't as far along.

heh, I would gather that MS would actually attempt to do it (and I think they should as an investor) but I don't think Sony or Nintendo are letting that happen. I think this came up in the past. They won't allow competitors services on their platforms.

Running game pass on as many platforms as possible matches MS' strengths. They are ultimately a software company. That's their bread and butter. I would rather them focus on making software and services better than to try to compete in a hardware space.

Under the same vein, android is okay with xcloud so far. Not sure what's happening with Apple, they seem to not be onboard with it. XCloud on iphone isn't as far along.

Agreed, yeah. I was being sarcastic but you follow the point.

Despite being a PS4 gamer, I'd be disappointed to see Microsoft out of the hardware game. I'd prefer that they didn't release games on Android, as I'll move even further way from what I expect of a console game.

I enjoyed the 360 very much and it feels like they have since made choices that don't match with what a lot of people expect of a console. It seems to be a downward spiral where they're so strongly sticking to their guns that they're devaluing their own products.

I really hope they come around coz their hardware sounds fantastic and has bags of potential.

They just need to drop the baggage.

Agreed, yeah. I was being sarcastic but you follow the point.

Despite being a PS4 gamer, I'd be disappointed to see Microsoft out of the hardware game. I'd prefer that they didn't release games on Android, as I'll move even further way from what I expect of a console game.

I enjoyed the 360 very much and it feels like they have since made choices that don't match with what a lot of people expect of a console. It seems to be a downward spiral where they're so strongly sticking to their guns that they're devaluing their own products.

I really hope they come around coz their hardware sounds fantastic and has bags of potential.

They just need to drop the baggage.
Yea I get that. I've been largely a PC gamer until this generation, XBO became the first time I really tried to commit to gaming. Next gen I'll switch to PS5 I think to get both sides of the picture, (not right away though, sort of waiting to see what hardware revisions will make it smaller) as I got around to upgrading my PC. But I get the need to have competition for things to improve. I guess in that sense, MS shouldn't leave the hardware side of the business, all their best ideas have been from a place of failure.

To advance their game pass agenda, hardware has to be part of the discussion somewhere in there. You can't move the baseline forward and sell them on new experiences if the hardware gets stale (I think this is probably 1 very different aspect from Netflix ....). And at the same time, this is exactly what MS is doing which is ironic I suppose.

The whole series X thing, and I guess Halo, is a bit tragic because hardware scaling shouldn't cause that, but that's the messaging around it. We could look at Flight Simulator that can scale down to Xbox One. And FS2020 is made by Asobo who also made 'A Plague's Tale', and many would probably argue that it looks better than Halo for instance, lol, I wouldn't but I look for different things.

But regardless, what we saw happen there, and with say Crackdown, is too large of a project, with too much ambition, without the foundation to support it, will result in less than spectacular results. And I wish the best for 343i, I enjoy high TTK type arena FPS games, I'm sure they are talented, but as the news comes out about their workflow processes, tools, not being able to check in for nearly a month. My limited experience with project management, I've seen huge projects just piss their money down the toilet throwing people at the problem, but the tools are no good. And that's what Halo is looking like right now. Just a bunch of labour being thrown at the problem in some hope that things will resolve, but the issues are with how they are building the game, and no amount of brute force will save this properly.

Maybe after release they'll have to time to fix things, but I'm not even sure of that.

Next gen I'll switch to PS5 I think to get both sides of the picture, (not right away though, sort of waiting to see what hardware revisions will make it smaller) as I got around to upgrading my PC.

Same here, going for the PS5, and keep my current pc, no upgrades (2080Ti/3900X/32GB/nvme). I will be able to play everything that's going to be on xbox, better at that, and everything else multiplatform on the pc, again the best way to play it anyway. The PS5 will serve for the exclusives and maybe games that are console oriented anyway. Would sony games appear on pc il get them there (too).

I hope sony will output more exclusives this time around then the PS4 generation, and more at the beginning at that. It seems they will, forbidden west is aimed for a 2021 release, latter half of the year at that, about a year after PS5 launch, which is abit late-ish for me. No idea about their other exclusives, but they seem to be closer to launch at least. For the PS4, i had about one to two a year at max. A more steady output would be wishfull, but i can understand that's not really possible with the quality/length we got from sony AAA's this generation.
Some sony/PS5 MP exclusive would be killer i think.

Offcourse, it would be nice to see the PS5 having an advantage in multiplat games as opposed to XSX and PC, maybe in loading or streaming/assets. It strengthens the reason to have a PS5 from the get-go. I remember the PS2 being the weakest (it came 18 months earlier), but it's multiplat games had some advantages here and there, like better blur effects etc.

Back