Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

It's funny that in all the years since SC has been earning so much money, hardly anyone has come up with anything comparable. The project has been known for almost 8 years and in that time nobody in the whole industry has managed to do something similar so far. If CIG is so bad at making this game why nobody else made several of such games in that time. He would have earned hundreds of millions of US dollars. It seems that the other studios seem even stupider than CIG if they could release such games and they don't.

Are people really still giving him monies?

It's not hard to find the basic information that some people are spending money on it. This year is by far the most successful one.

m2rqm5fwq7251.png

SSAO isn't really a thing in space right? I assume you mean in the atmospheres or inside ships and structures.

Not in empty space but on asteroids, structures and so on.

Last edited:
Basically a playable version of it, single or multi player.

Is it a "beta" release that everyone is playing? I really haven't followed it.
Star Citizen persistent world has been playable for a long time and is constantly being iterated upon with new features and content. Yes, you can actually do stuff in SC.

The single player game? Who knows lol

Basically a playable version of it, single or multi player.

Is it a "beta" release that everyone is playing? I really haven't followed it.

There's basically a playable "solar system" in game right now that has quests, factions, planets, moons, asteroid fields, dockable space stations, missions, bounty hunters (players hunt you down if you get a bounty on your head), pirates (NPC and players), mining, character stats, character gear (weapons, armor, tools, etc.), and more.

It's a fully playable game at the moment if you like open world create your own story type of deals. AKA - like a lot of survival games. Quests give you things to do other than explore and create your own stories.

There's more to do in this "unfinished game" than there is in many "finished" AAA games.

That said, there's a reason it's still alpha/beta. Things are constantly changing (like Warframe, World of Tanks, MechWarrior, or just about any MMO, etc.). As well, there are systems that are incomplete, broken, or haven't been implemented yet.

Regards,
SB

It's definitely worth posting their roadmap roadmap for their new roadmap since they failed to deliver on their last roadmap.

1. Give an explanation of the goals of our new Roadmap and what to expect from it
  2. Show a rough mockup of the proposed new Roadmap
  3. Share a work in progress version of the Roadmap for at least one of our core teams
  4. And finally transition to this new Roadmap
Tldr: no SQ42 this year but we might get a new release date at some point. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I only just found out about this game, but it certainly is a case study of some ppls mental behaviours
They lucked into an entire new set of addictive behaviour. People lie to themselves to declare the ships an investment to justify getting deeper in the hole.
AFAIKS Theres a bit of stockholm syndrome as well, and well we have spent so much money whats a few more dollars after that.
basically ppl are falling for the sunk cost fallacy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_cost

btw I also are guilty of the sunk cost fallacy

I'm sure all the people that are playing and enjoying the game are suffering from "Stockholm syndrome" :rolleyes:

All you need to do is go on Twitch and watch people play and the people that play with those people to see they are genuinely having fun. The ones that like the game, that is. There's also the occasional streamer the pops in just to show people how much they don't like the game (what's the point of doing that?).

Whatever, hater's are going to hate, right? :D

It's not for everyone. Just like 7 days to Die (fantastic game, still in BETA/Early access) is a fantastic game that most people here likely wouldn't like.

Just because you (not pointing to anyone, just a general you) don't like the game doesn't mean other people aren't spending hundreds of hours enjoying it. Some people have already spent thousands of hours playing Star Citizen.

I haven't touched it other than to hop in now and then to see the state of the engine, but I still have fun watching people having fun in the game. Sometimes it's absolutely hilarious the adventures they get up to.

The open world of Star Citizen doesn't interest me, just like Elite: Dangerous doesn't interest me. But that doesn't mean they aren't good games. :p I'm still patiently waiting for SQ42. If it never arrives, no biggie to me. I only spent 15 USD. :D And the purpose for that was only to give money to Chris Roberts for all the fun I had in the Wing Commander and Strike Commander games.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Why not? (stupid question)
Because the entire sky from horizon to horizon is a light source in atmosphere due to atmospheric scattering. That's not the case in space. It should actually be computationally easier to achieve realistic lighting in space because almost all of the light is or can be reasonably approximated as direct light from point sources, even reflections off of things like moons and planets which despite their size are relatively narrow and highly directional compared to the sky while being in atmo.

Last edited:
I'm sure all the people that are playing and enjoying the game are suffering from "Stockholm syndrome" :rolleyes:

All you need to do is go on Twitch and watch people play and the people that play with those people to see they are genuinely having fun. The ones that like the game, that is. There's also the occasional streamer the pops in just to show people how much they don't like the game (what's the point of doing that?).

Whatever, hater's are going to hate, right? :D

It's not for everyone. Just like 7 days to Die (fantastic game, still in BETA/Early access) is a fantastic game that most people here likely wouldn't like.

Just because you (not pointing to anyone, just a general you) don't like the game doesn't mean other people aren't spending hundreds of hours enjoying it. Some people have already spent thousands of hours playing Star Citizen.

I haven't touched it other than to hop in now and then to see the state of the engine, but I still have fun watching people having fun in the game. Sometimes it's absolutely hilarious the adventures they get up to.

The open world of Star Citizen doesn't interest me, just like Elite: Dangerous doesn't interest me. But that doesn't mean they aren't good games. :p I'm still patiently waiting for SQ42. If it never arrives, no biggie to me. I only spent 15 USD. :D And the purpose for that was only to give money to Chris Roberts for all the fun I had in the Wing Commander and Strike Commander games.

Regards,
SB

I was a kickstarter backer. My problem is the lack of real information on sq42 . I backed the game because sq42 was supposed to hit in 2014. Then more money kept flowing in and they said 2016 and that came and went then 2018 and that again came and went. Now we are in 2020 and are still fighting to get a time line /road map of when sq42 is going to come out. Remember kickstarter was Oct of 2012 and we are just a few months out from the anniversary.

Every few updates i go and check out the PU and there is enough to keep me entertained for a few hours and thats fine. If you haven't played in a year or two you can get a few solid weeks of playing. I know streamers like boredgamer enjoy it. But at the same time they make money off streaming the game. So I don't think its fair to use them and the litmus test of if the game is good.

I think its a bad look that months of fans complaining and then only 24 hours after news outlets started reporting on it did they address the lack of a road map or promised updates. Its even more tone deaf that they put up another new vehicle to purchase today

Back