How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

The physical form of it does not prevent Sony from making their own branded or cobranded expansion drives, especially if they want some to meet potential market demand, and I have not seen a definitive statement from Sony saying they wont make or comake expansion storage.
The computer parts manufacturers will naturally meet the demand, if there's a demand. Sony never made their own HDD expansion since 2006, that was they whole point of making it standard and user-replaceable, it piggyback on the low-profit computer parts market. Basically none of the console makers are manufacturing or selling sd cards or HDDs. They have some sort of "officially licensed" program like Nintendo does with sd cards, or seagate's external "gaming" hard drives.

The only reason to manufacture them would be if it's proprietary. Otherwise it's commodity pricing and they can't compete in that arena.

The interview doesn't say they are making money either! It doesn't say a lot but heavily implies money is a bit of problem. The following is an actual quote by Xbox marketing exec, Aaron Greenberg, who talks like Xbox is on life-support but stable.
I personally didn't read it like that.
I think he's just saying people keep worrying if their making money.
don't worry about it we'll be ok, as in not something people need to worry about. As a devision and company it won't make them go under.

So is it a huge money maker right now, no.
But they obviously think long term it will be a net positive for them.

I personally didn't read it like that.
I think he's just saying people keep worrying if their making money.
don't worry about it we'll be ok, as in not something people need to worry about. As a devision and company it won't make them go under.

MS is sitting on a cash pile of around $140 Billion - one of the largest in the world. So yeah, they will be fine. And they do not need to turn a profit on a specific project.

I agree but so much is predicated on the economics, fortunes and whims of third parties outside of Microsoft's control. Microsoft are almost anti-Apple here, Apple have gradually replaced every critical part of their technological dependency with in-house expertise to ensure they have full control over their product and services.

I agree but so much is predicated on the economics, fortunes and whims of third parties outside of Microsoft's control. Microsoft are almost anti-Apple here, Apple have gradually replaced every critical part of their technological dependency with in-house expertise to ensure they have full control over their product and services.
Apple has a ton of subscription based services that are entirely based on content produced by 3rd party entities as well: Music, (Channels) TV, News+, TV+, Apple Arcade (which is game pass)

Apple has a ton of subscription based services that are entirely based on content produced by 3rd party entities as well: Music, (Channels) TV, News+, TV+, Apple Arcade (which is game pass)

Only iTunes and, to a lesser degree, Apple Music, are anything like permanent fixtures and generate significant profit.

The other services are very much experimental and may buy the farm at any time. I honestly don't understand News+ at all, this is possibly the most perplexing venture Apple have engaged in for a long time. And I don't rate their success with Apple TV (the service). It's also the stupidest thing every to use "Apple TV" to describe a piece of hardware you plug into your TV, an app that runs on your four ecosystems (macOS, iOS and iPadOS, tvOS) and an actual content delivery service. WCGW! :runaway:

I question the research that includes:

Top 5 Most Anticipated Releases

Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt) - sure, definitely.
Marvel’s Avengers (Square-Enix) - huh?
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 Remaster (Activision) - seriously?
Dying Light 2 (Techland) - hmmm.
Halo Infinite (Xbox Game Studios) - sure, definitely.
Halo behind Tony Hawk and Marvel's Avengers? I'm finding that difficult to swallow. Unless the people polled think the Avengers will be based on the characters in the movies, which we know they're not.

I question the research that includes:

Top 5 Most Anticipated Releases

Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt) - sure, definitely.
Marvel’s Avengers (Square-Enix) - huh?
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 Remaster (Activision) - seriously?
Dying Light 2 (Techland) - hmmm.
Halo Infinite (Xbox Game Studios) - sure, definitely.​
Well, it's a survey of 3000 in the UK. I don't judge you people. :LOL:

Ah ha! :
"Data was collected between June 25th and July 2nd through MCM Comic Con online channels. 80 per cent of the respondents were aged between 18 and 34 (48 per cent were in the 25-34 year old category; 32 per cent in the 18-24 category). Meanwhile, 58 per cent were male, 38 per cent female, 2 per cent non-conforming and 1 per cent transgender."

Yeah that explains Avengers at least!

That's a recipe for getting a result like:
"100% of gamers have visited the Comic Con channels at least once in the last two weeks."
"0% of gamers use an ad blocker"

Last edited:
Well, it's a survey of 3000 in the UK. I don't judge you people. :LOL:Yeah that explains Avengers at least!
They'll be utterly disappointed when they realise that Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Scarlet Johansen are not part of this production.

They'll be utterly disappointed when they realise that Robert Downey Jr, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Scarlet Johansen are not part of this production.
I think it's a strong enough franchise that it will be ok now.
Bit like how the PS spiderman game was.
The movies helped a lot, and don't think there was much complaints that it wasn't whats his face actor.

They look just like the actors. Come on.

Really? Have they changed the models because the initial tailer looked NOTHING like the movie actors because of likeness to known persons costs a lot of money.

PS5 would have to sell at higher rates than Wii to hit those numbers....which was literally selling to every demographic. Grandma aint buying PS5..

The "high end" console market of Playstation and Xbox is remarkably stable. The combined sales has always sort of been around ~175m units.

So PS5 would have to take 80%+ market share like PS2 did in the PS2/Xbox generation for to hit those numbers. Though Xbox was barely an established brand at that point.

We still don't know prices which could determine a lot but my guess is sales this gen will be somewhere in between the last two generations. In other words Xbox will sell more and Playstation will sell less than last gen but it's not going to be as close as the PS3/360 era. Probably 70M units for Xbox and 100M for PS5.

The interview doesn't say they are making money either! It doesn't say a lot but heavily implies money is a bit of problem. The following is an actual quote by Xbox marketing exec, Aaron Greenberg, who talks like Xbox is on life-support but stable.

:oops:

Somebody needs to check the carbon monoxide detector in Sony's offices. I don't think they're getting enough oxygen. :nope:

This is digitime not the best source. I think Bloomberg and Nikkei's article look more credible.

Last edited:
Back