Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MS FS 2020) [PC, XGP-PC]

The rudder is used to keep the airplane aligned with the direction of your turn, it is not used for turning it keeps the aircraft from "skiding" or "slipping" (see below). You turn with the ailerons by banking (rolling) the plane. Most sims like MSFS have an auto-rudder option.

And yes, the higher the bank the faster it turns. However in a proper sim in a normal aircraft, turning sharply and pulling the stick to turn faster will get you into a spiral of death. A lot of people that die flying on private planes put their aircraft into a spiral without knowing it.

turn5.png
Can you do the cobra maneuver ?

The only thing missing from these sims is spatial disorientation. Maybe, one day. And it would help a lot with aviation safety.

I dont understand why someone would choose a civil flightsim over a military flightsim, you get all the nerdy flight procedures and avionics plus the fun of combat / sensors / weapons systems

I dont understand why someone would choose a civil flightsim over a military flightsim, you get all the nerdy flight procedures and avionics plus the fun of combat / sensors / weapons systems
IIRC when I flown f14 on fsx, it was way harder than a Cessna I usually fly.

But that maybe because I was accustomed to Cessna...

A lot of civilian and professional pilots like Flight Simulator because they can fly the planes they fly in real life and simulate flying something as close to real life as they can in their spare time without hopping into an actual plane. Sometimes it's for practice, sometimes it's for enjoyment, sometimes it's to fly somewhere in the world they don't generally get a chance to fly to.

How often does a civilian pilot get to fly a 747 from LA to Sydney in RL? :) Hell, or even across the US?

Regards,
SB

The shower of Bastards...
(it was due today)
E5kqJPh.jpg

I canceled my pre order, it's not the constant changing of the due date that pisses me off, it's the fact that they dont even tell you until the due date
Do they seriously expect me to believe they were in the loading bay expecting a delivery and it didnt turn up and thats the first they knew about it
I know a little about international shipping and to arrive today it would have had to be put on the container ship over 4 weeks ago and if it didnt go on they would have been informed

I'm not really aiming the question at real life pilots

I wanted to learn how to fly , i even did some work for a pilots license but I never had the time to complete it. My uncle had one and he would take me up and fly with me and he always had simulator games and we would play together. It was a lot of fun and I miss him and that time we spent. So this is a way to recreate a part of it . Hopefully in the future i will have more time to get my license

Thats how I became a p.c gamer through flight sims, I remember they were one of the most popular genre's on p.c and every time a new one was released it was front page news on all the p.c magazines
ccOtMCg.jpg

Ps: I love I-War (as well)

pps: F-22 (by digital image design) as well as coming with a thick manual also came with a 200+ page full colour book called axis and allies detailing all the planes, ground vehicles and weapons featured in the game (I still have it)

Lol. Going for a cheapy Stick. Use it to play Star Wars squadrons and run a few flights.

I know nothing about piloting, but I somewhat recall left/right on the stick as being roll and pedals being rudder. Is it faster in every known game to roll and pull down/up for tighter turns than to use the rudder?
My dad is a pilot and he said you don't use rudder for turning. He also said rudder pedals in flight sims are for noobs but I can't remember why.

He has been playing XPlane on his Intel i3 NUC + 4K monitor and I think it's funny he runs at like 4fps but he doesn't care because he only does instrument flight so he's staring down into the cockpit the whole time.

He did ask me why flying through the clouds makes it chug so much and I started to explain blending and memory bandwidth, that there's a lot of pixels that need to read and write and read and write which he understood pretty good since he is also a programmer.

Back