Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

PS5 with changable plates/wings? So likely black wings? What about the controller? :D

Would be great, like the launch PS4 having interchangeable covers, but the whole console this time.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/accessories/custom-faceplates/

It would mean simpler stock logistics at launch versus having multiple console colors. Anyone can just buy the covers they want, or replace them once they're tired of the bright pink one they bought as a joke (or did they).

Were custom faceplates on 360 and PS4 ever that popular?..I guess if you are changing the entire look of the console it may be more popular.

I mean this way they can just release one version and if you want a black PS5 you just buy new faceplates...

And even without Oddle Data is already 2.7:1.

5.5 GB/s * 2.7 = 14.5 GB/s :oops:

With Oddle data the effective BW is close to 20GB/s. Of course it will depend on the scenario and data being compressed, but looks very good non the less.

edit:

Also important from a storage point of view:

- Uncompressed: 100GB
- zlib compression (1.5:1): 66GB
- oodle texture compression (2.7:1) : 37GB
- oodle data + texture (3.3:1): 30GB

O_O

I wanna hear more about THIS!

O_O

I wanna hear more about THIS!
This article and the benchmarks are more applicable to PS5 since it's going to be mostly Kraken + Oodle Texture....

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/07/performance-of-various-compressors-on.html

Mostly BC7 with a bit of BC6. Mix of diffuse, normals, etc. The compressors here are run on the data cut into 256 KB chunks to simulate more typical game usage.
rdo lambda=40 :
by ratio:
ooKraken8 : 3.99:1 , 1.3 enc MB/s , 1919.3 dec MB/s

Interesting it's using 256K chunks as a supposed "typical" game usage. So maybe PS5 will also do 256K blocks which would be nicer on the FTL requirements, but OTOH it would require more expensive SRAM buffers on the hardware decompressor. It's hard to tell.

Using large chunks improve the compression ratio. If they go for 32KB it would improve latency and IOPS, but compression would logically be worse. I am convinced they entire hardware pipeline would need to be designed with a fixed block size in mind, but we don't know what. I think it could be anywhere between 32K and 1MB.

There are still a lot of question surrounding it, and I would hope DF will address it at some point. Maybe none of their contact want to say anything, or they can't corroborate this, or DF signed an NDA, who knows.

The typical data of games will vary wildly, so will compression. But they can crank the lambda way above 40, it seems that lambda 40 is "mostly" imperceptible from lossless, some types of data like things with text might want it more lossless. Also we have benchmarks showing geometry will compress 3:1 on average with Kraken.

Last edited:
  • PS5 has a more advanced geometry handler than what is featured on RDNA 2 and is found on the PS5 GE block and will be very important for VR as well
  • This customisation and revisions Cerny has made to the Geometry Engine will be featured on RDNA 3 and the larger GPU caches that PS5 features will also feature on RDNA 3
Among the stuff that was in this admirably exhaustive list that stood out was the fact that the caches would be larger and something that would be shared with RDNA 3 that would line up with what Cerny said about making sure that the extra speed of the APU wasn't too debilitating WRT memory access and such.
Larger caches for less cache misses and some form of comprehensive cache management looks promising if true.

This article and the benchmarks are more applicable to PS5 since it's going to be mostly Kraken + Oodle Texture....

https://cbloomrants.blogspot.com/2020/07/performance-of-various-compressors-on.html

Interesting it's using 256K chunks as a supposed "typical" game usage. So maybe PS5 will also do 256K blocks which would be nicer on the FTL requirements, but OTOH it would require more expensive SRAM buffers on the hardware decompressor. It's hard to tell.

Using large chunks improve the compression ratio. If they go for 32KB it would improve latency and IOPS, but compression would logically be worse. I am convinced they entire hardware pipeline would need to be designed with a fixed block size in mind, but we don't know what. I think it could be anywhere between 32K and 1MB.

There are still a lot of question surrounding it, and I would hope DF will address it at some point. Maybe none of their contact want to say anything, or they can't corroborate this, or DF signed an NDA, who knows.

The typical data of games will vary wildly, so will compression. But they can crank the lambda way above 40, it seems that lambda 40 is "mostly" imperceptible from lossless, some types of data like things with text might want it more lossless. Also we have benchmarks showing geometry will compress 3:1 on average with Kraken.

My question is why havent more ppl spoken about this...this seems like as much a next gen feature as anything else regarding what allows for ps5 overall considering sony set up paths for all devs to use it

Oodle conpressor is limited to lambda 40 because above this they think the quality loss is perceptible by human eye.

Is it never useful? I saw benches at 50.

Oodle texture it seems in the tool they deliverd they limit it to 40 because they did tons of test and they said above quality loss is generally perceptible by human eyes.

EDIT: Or maybe it is only an advice but they advice to limit lambda to 40

Last edited:
My question is why havent more ppl spoken about this...this seems like as much a next gen feature as anything else regarding what allows for ps5 overall considering sony set up paths for all devs to use it

Cerny said the Kraken decompressor can do 22GB/s peak for data that "compress particularly well" in the Road to PS5 presentation. When sony and oodles announced the partnership for oodles textures, which is basically one of many RDO tools helping textures "compress particularly well", it made a lot more sense to have the whole data path able to reach 4:1 compression at wire speed. We still need more info about real world data but the picture is much clearer now. Pun intended.

Has this been posted?

"Also as a free update for those who get WRC 9 on either PS4 or Xbox One, the game will upgrade to the next-gen versions on PS5 or Xbox Series X, and we're looking forward to seeing how performance, graphics, or features such as PS5's Activities feature (an instant deeplink to specific races directly from the console's menu) reveal the future of rally racing."

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/57019111.html

Seems like the original Gamereactor article has been deleted.

Has this been posted?

"Also as a free update for those who get WRC 9 on either PS4 or Xbox One, the game will upgrade to the next-gen versions on PS5 or Xbox Series X, and we're looking forward to seeing how performance, graphics, or features such as PS5's Activities feature (an instant deeplink to specific races directly from the console's menu) reveal the future of rally racing."

http://blog.hokanko-alt.com/archives/57019111.html

Seems like the original Gamereactor article has been deleted.

looks like a OS feature that wasn’t supposed to be revealed. If you can jump into a mission from the OS UI it would be great. Probably MS will copy it into their OS.

speedstep is slow compared to renior , and this seems to be much faster then it
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1570...k-business-with-the-ryzen-9-4900hs-a-review/2
The system architecture supports ~1ms granluarity of frequency change* since Zen 1 SoCs, and it is marketed as a bullet point of the marketing feature Precision Boost.

* as in the SMU reevaluates all the IP blocks' activity level and running parameters, and adjust their budget and in turn voltage and frequency on the fly

Last edited:
Looks like Sony’s take on DLSS:

An information processing device for acquiring a plurality of reference images obtained by imaging an object that is to be reproduced, acquiring a plurality of converted images obtained by enlarging or shrinking each of the plurality of reference images, executing machine learning using a plurality of images to be learned, as teaching data, that include the plurality of converted images, and generating pre-learned data that is used for generating a reproduction image that represents the appearance of the object.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/WO2020148810A1.html

View attachment 4389

So PS5 can do this 8 times faster than Renoir? If true is damn impressive.
2ms is the number stated by AMD when it comes to Smart shift. I'd have assumed the things Sony added on top would've slowed it down, given their implementation also changes clocks while smart shift is moving around the power to each component.
Well there's a rumour going around that Miles Morales will come with a Spiderman remaster included. So a free upgrade? Confusing, A patch for everyone who already bought the game would be better, I guess.

This rumor is just a rumor. Insomniac dev laughed at it. The translation is based on the idea that MM was just a DLC for the original game and should've said running on updated spider man engine rather than spider man update.

Back