General Next Generation Rumors and Discussions [Post GDC 2020]

Wow. I never expected it no matter how much I wanted it. Let's see how the licensing will work, if at all.

Tommy McClain

When you move to dynamic lighting and away from baking, that should reduce the cost of labour (at the expense of pushing the labour onto the hardware to perform). So such games that are traditionally really expensive to make, can be dramatically cheaper to make now. And cheaper means faster iterations, or different types of content etc.

In my opinion the man hours will just move into some other part of the process. I very much doubt the budgets will come down, it might not go up as much but I doubt it will go down.

In my opinion the man hours will just move into some other part of the process. I very much doubt the budgets will come down, it might not go up as much but I doubt it will go down.
yea I considered this as well. It would require several generations to moved to dynamic lighting anyway, it wouldn't happen in 1

Why won't scruffy Santa give us Half-Life 3?

Gabe Newell also worked at Microsoft for thirteen years, he worked on the earlier versions of Windows before leaving to found Valve in 1996.
some weird love there. MS as a company to work at has only appealed to me after Satya took over.

some weird love there. MS as a company to work at has only appealed to me after Satya took over.
Just to clarify, I'm not saying that he's some irrational Microsoft fanboy but that the 360 OS was probably more immediately familiar to him than Sony's bonkers PS3 hardware and BSD-derived OS.

Which is better?
xbox.
why?
cause it is.

Then proceeds to express it's a personal preference not a technical one.

This is beneath the threshold of insightful discussions.
Gabe Newell's opinion hasn't been relevant for a very long time, and has rarely ever seemed all that well thought out.
Gabe doesn't have any particular loyalty for MS in the abstract; he was one of the people freaking out to conspiracy theory levels about Windows getting a built in store when Windows 8 came out.

Back