The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners

swaaye

Entirely Suboptimal
Legend
Supporter
Has anyone else played this game? It's a sort of lightweight story oriented, mission based immersive sim. I've got about 20 hours on it now. I wish the respawning wasn't a thing but otherwise it's entertaining me. I'm playing with the HP Reverb. Works perfectly.

I feel like it offers a VR experience around the same level as Alyx and it does melee quite well I think. Quite visceral. With occasional viscera heh.

It's UE4 and looks alright. It has that watercolor look to the texturing that reminds me of Dishonored and I suppose the other Walking Dead games which I have not played. The main issue I notice with visuals is their occasional problems with disproportionate modeling of stuff like doors and cabinetry. Inside houses mostly.

You get a bit messy working your way around town.
20200713_201003_MixedReality.jpg

These gals were soon eaten by some walkers. This is an entrance to a clan stronghold.
20200715_151928_MixedReality.jpg

Last edited:
That first pic just seems so wrong. Holding a knife with the left hand.

That first pic just seems so wrong. Holding a knife with the left hand.
I'm primarily left handed :) You can do whatever you like in this game. Throw it up in the air and grab it with the other hand on a whim. Same with any other object.

Last edited:
I'm left handed :)

I'm sorry. :LOL: I know it couldn't have been easy growing up being outside the typical norms. I remember all the issues my sister had with being left-handed. Hell, there's much I find as being awkward even being a right-hander and using products made for the right hand.

Sorry again, didn't mean to go off on a tangent.

So with the melee part, does it seem natural with the controllers or is it a bit awkward? That always seemed like something natural for a Kinect-like system or one with sensitive enough motion controllers.

I'm sorry. :LOL: I know it couldn't have been easy growing up being outside the typical norms. I remember all the issues my sister had with being left-handed. Hell, there's much I find as being awkward even being a right-hander and using products made for the right hand.

So with the melee part, does it seem natural with the controllers or is it a bit awkward? That always seemed like something natural for a Kinect-like system or one with sensitive enough motion controllers.
Heh yeah no problem. I am somewhat ambidextrous. Thankfully I feel right-handed mousing is natural. But with a joystick I can't hit anything right-handed. It's a curious thing. I certainly can't write with my right hand.

The melee is pretty solid, particularly with single-handed weapons. VR gives you depth perception and that is very beneficial. Fortunately most things can be used with one hand. There are some items that should be or must be used two-handed and this is where it falls apart because I just can not get a good sense of operation of a weightless imaginary object with two hands. The pump shotgun I find especially challenging to operate in a tense situation. I keep getting killed while trying to backpedal, aim, shoot, pump to reload, etc. In a sense everything is melee in VR.

Watch out Brit , us lefties stick together ! I even married a lefty ! Left for life !

I finished the game. Overall I enjoyed it but the story was fairly weak and the player influence minimal. Not many characters to interact with.

There is only a short period of safe time you have once traveling to each area before the zombie hordes come and you either need to go back home or die. So it's all rushed and this isn't the kind of tension they should have gone for.

Favorite city area was the high school because it's larger than other areas and pretty interesting.

In general I feel like the game is a basic form of Dishonored essentially and that fits my gaming tastes well. So I looked past the quirks. Best VR thing I've found so far.

If anyone's interested in this, it's already in a bundle (and for less than its previous sale prices): the Humble Fall VR Bundle (ITAD game price histories).

$1:
A-Tech Cybernetic VR
Archangel Hellfire Fully Loaded
Killing Floor Incursion

$10:
Raw Data

BTA (~$16):
Creed Rise to Glory
I Expect You to Die

$17:
Walking Dead Saints & Sinners
Zero Caliber VR

Aftershocks: New free campaign content coming to Saints & Sinners
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/916840/view/3074246126738639103
Your tour through undead New Orleans isn't over just yet. On May 20th jump back on your skiff and return to the deadly world of The Walking Dead in this free post-campaign adventure, Aftershocks.

Supply caches once thought destroyed by the Tourist’s actions are washing up across the city, and Tower and Reclaimed alike will do everything they can to secure them. If you wish to get your hands on the remnants of the Reserve then you must face off against more dangers, survivors, and walkers than ever before.

New missions, stories, collectibles, and survival tools await you on this dangerous new journey. This is only the start of the threats lurking just below the surface, so stay tuned for more updates in the future.

(delayed now for a month or so though)
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/916840/view/4581828103090450163

This'll be one of three extra games for PS+ this November/December, along with The Persistence and Until You Fall.

I haven't played Until You Fall, but The Persistence and Walking Dead are great. Though I think The Persistence is more fun in 2D.

The release of Aftershocks got me motivated to beat the game a second time. It's definitely a VR fav.

This game is something special. Love the tension. I was hiding under a table earlier and a zombie walked past me. I moved to soon and he saw me, then I blew his legs off with the shotgun. Fucking satisfying as hell.

This game is something special. Love the tension. I was hiding under a table earlier and a zombie walked past me. I moved to soon and he saw me, then I blew his legs off with the shotgun. Fucking satisfying as hell.

I do somewhat wish S&S would increase the mission time limit, lessen respawns and increase weapon durability though. I feel they made their game experience feel rather small in scale with these 3 aspects as they are. It really limits the exploration thing / getting lost in the experience I like to do. Though yeah those are also the formula to their claustrophobic, tense atmosphere.

You may want to check out Into The Radius as well.

Last edited:
Back