What are you playing now? [2018-2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I realized I'd never played Quantum Break so gave it a try, just about busted a gut laughing at the first episode when the guy jumped in to the 350Z. I had that exact same car in the same color and it just put a huge grin on my face for some stupid reason.

Fun game, better than I thought an interactive thingy would be. :)

I can confirm that if you're gaming at 75Hz the CPU doesn't really matter, this thing runs great. I reckon my CPU is the equivalent of a low end Ryzen 3 (4c8t).

I guess as long as it has 8 threads at least. I upgraded last year from my 2500k because I was seeing sub 30fps dips in one or two games.

I imagine next gen will raise the CPU bar hugely.

I had to refund Doom Eternal because I just didn't enjoy it. Way too many cooldowns to manage and almost a constant DOT damage, like playing a damned MOBA. Doing a rerun of the 2016 DOOM which is way superior.

That's worrying. I'm planning to get Doom Eternal on the basis that I really enjoyed Doom 2016.

I guess as long as it has 8 threads at least. I upgraded last year from my 2500k because I was seeing sub 30fps dips in one or two games.

I imagine next gen will raise the CPU bar hugely.
I expect a new build will be required for next gen. It is amazing though, if you bought a i7 2600 or 3770 so many years ago you can still run most anything at decent settings with 60+ fps. Reminds me of the 8800GT in terms of longevity, I guess it just matters where a part is released in terms of the console life cycles.

I was disappointed how little ipc had improved over the last 8 or so years
Yes it doesn't seem like that much compared to the previous decade and I think a fair amount of it is up to memory bandwidth. I bet I could significantly raise my performance in some games by getting DDR3-2400.

I was disappointed how little ipc had improved over the last 8 or so years

Intel's Rocketlake launching later this year is rumoured to have a big IPC increase as it's the first major architecture change since Sandybridge. So we may be looking at a Nehalem to Sandybridge level jump. It will also bring it on par with AMD in terms of PCIE4 and 20 available PCIe lanes from the CPU.

Frontlines Fuel Of War
I think this is a hidden gem of a single player game (the multiplayer was supposed to be good but it's dead now) £9.99 on steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back