Senua's Saga: Hellblade 2 [XBSX|S, XGP]

I would imagine the entire asset creation and environment building workflow would need to change to support it.
they made it clear that there was going to be an upgrade path and that we should start in UE4 now knowing we can move to UE5. I suspect they will tell you what 'not' to do, if you go too far and can't upgrade into the features for UE5.

That's kind of the point of the new features of UE5. It's meant to simplify the workflow. You create high detail assets and import them into UE and it handles everything else, including handling (converting assets) for platforms that do not support nanite and lumen. Was Hellblade 2 even announced for Xbox One? I'm assuming it'll be a Series X exclusive.
Yes, I imagine it was marketed as well as Nvidia's "It just works" for Turing and RTRT. The reality is often very different.
they made it clear that there was going to be an upgrade path and that we should start in UE4 now knowing we can move to UE5. I suspect they will tell you what 'not' to do, if you go too far and can't upgrade into the features for UE5.
The messaging was that UE5 would be an easier upgrade than previously but not that necessarily Nanite and Lumen would be "toggle on" features.

I just think peoples expectations get too high after PR blurbs and long development times with existing tools and pipelines means switching over to something very different isn't feasible. Considering UE5 and the new features are going into beta next year, the possibility of titles being developed in UE4 that are considerably far along in production can't just drop everything next year and suddenly everything is golden in UE5.

Yes, I imagine it was marketed as well as Nvidia's "It just works" for Turing and RTRT. The reality is often very different.

The messaging was that UE5 would be an easier upgrade than previously but not that necessarily Nanite and Lumen would be "toggle on" features.

I just think peoples expectations get too high after PR blurbs and long development times with existing tools and pipelines means switching over to something very different isn't feasible. Considering UE5 and the new features are going into beta next year, the possibility of titles being developed in UE4 that are considerably far along in production can't just drop everything next year and suddenly everything is golden in UE5.
Yea, I agree if your game is ready to ship soon ie <1.5 years, you don't have time to switch. But if your title is expected to land in 2022+, there's sufficient time to prepare to know you're going to upgrade with those features laid into place, at least this is what i understand.

There shouldn't be a large discrepancy, most of the systems should still work. If you are customizing the engines for your needs, that is going to be a heavy lift, but if you were working within the confines of UE4.25 default tools, I don't see a reason that there wouldn't be a direct upgrade path.

I'm not expecting Hellblade 2 to come out any time soon. Also, UE is the tools. I know companies like Ninja Theory have their own tooling outside of UE and their own workflows built on top of it. But the editor etc are all UE tools, so unless Epic has thrown it out and started from scratch the UE toolset should be largely familiar and "seamless."

At the very least, I expect every dev shop using any form of UE to now keep around all original assets and models and not discard anything too early. So if they have time in the future they can rework it for update(s) or for any sequels.

The game has to be build from the ground up to use Nanatine as it fundamenly changes the way optimizations is done, draw calls, assets streaming & packaging etc..
Lumen on the other hand seems like a way easier proposition to implementvas it doesn't require any changes to the content creation pipeline at all.

At the very least, I expect every dev shop using any form of UE to now keep around all original assets and models and not discard anything too early. So if they have time in the future they can rework it for update(s) or for any sequels.

I'm sure they do that anyway. You'll never know when you need to tweak something or create a new derivative. I doubt anything is discarded ever - it's not like Storage is particularly expensive these days and you can just archive old stuff.

The game has to be build from the ground up to use Nanatine as it fundamenly changes the way optimizations is done, draw calls, assets streaming & packaging etc..
Lumen on the other hand seems like a way easier proposition to implementvas it doesn't require any changes to the content creation pipeline at all.
curious but, if nanite only applies to static geometry, will it require a big rewrite compared to how things are done now? seems like it only affects environment, as opposed to environment and actors

If they weren't going to use nanite and lumen, would would they use UE5? Ninja Theory has a very good relationship with Epic. I would not be shocked if they're in the loop in terms of how UE5 is going to work and they're setting themselves up to transition.

There's also their animations stuff, AI crowd stuff, audio stuff, etc.
I agree, if you move to UE5 without taking on any feature, is there any point? I don't see what else UE5 would be offering over UE4. Sounds like burning money for fun and making your life more painful for no gain.

I'm sure there's a lot more to UE5 than just Nanite and Lumen. ;) Is there any reason to think that use of UE5 requires use of Nanite and Lumen over them just being options?

They seem to be the two major features that differentiate UE5 from UE4. I could be wrong, but most game devs start with a particular version of UE and they stick with it for their whole project. If they start on UE 4.13, they don't bother integrating the new versions of UE 4 unless there is some major reason to do so. If Hellblade is starting on UE4 and they're jumping to UE5, it's most likely because they're going to use it's major features.

Are they the two major meaningful features, or just the two Epic have talked about thus far? We're talking a full major revision to one of the most used and important engines in the business. I expect far, far more to the engine than just a streaming geometry engine and realtime SDF-based GI solver. I expect possible changes throughout the entire pipeline, optimisations, other changes (comparable to Unity's push for DOTS which as far as I'm aware UE is behind at the moment), new raytracing options using RTRT hardware, and enhancements all around the board.

Probably the biggest letdown of the show, they didn't show anything new. If I had to guess they are on a pretty complicated situation, same the one Guerrilla faced after Sony sold their E3 KZ2 CG trailer as real time.

Back