Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

there will be the horsepower available to do sand, and ray tracing etc in a post launch patch. Which I mean it would be helpful to have day 1 to sell the console, but aside from that I know it will be better optimized then what we see here

No doubt but I'm coming from a marketing for your next gen console which is the most powerful it's not a good look.

It's there biggest first party game still isn't it?

It looks very rough around the edges right now. Which is surprising. Because after watching many episodes about how these E3 demos get created and how it is all scripted, smoke and mirrors to present the demo in its best possible way (much further progressed than the rest of the game)...this was a bit surprising.

Things that I didn't like:

1.) Sound effect are hopefully place holder. The weapons had no real impact.

2.) Enemy hit reaction are hopefully place holder. It looks kind of "binary"...especially the scene where the red brute jumps into air, suddlenly lays flat. Or the one enemy that got the shotgun into the face.

3.) Battle music. My biggest concern. It lacked the punch somewhat (maybe also due to stupid YT yada yada). Also, it wasn't used organically during the battle and went back to silence quite qickly.

4.) Plasma effects (grenade, shield, etc) are hopefully place holder.

5.) Overall, the mission style setup where you get the map, choose a mission etc: this doesn't look to exciting. They need to work really hard to make this exciting and cool. On the map, there where 4 of the same targets...this screams boring and if done to much, I feel this could turn me away. HALO games had always great pacing imo.

And concerning at the same time. If Infinite is their 500 million dollar launch day game, they should have had it running on the XSX by now. Maybe they do, but they should have shown it on that, in a more finished state perhaps.
I think in the eyes of MS, nailing the game engine and gameplay was of greater importance than graphics.
Graphics can be resolved over time. Shipping and engine they can’t support game play leads you to Anthem.

Halo Infinite not having a sequel, SoT, EverWild, Forza Motorsport drooping the 8, the focus on GamePass. MS no longer wants to work in sequels but to support platform games instead.

So it’s more important that the engine supports all of the features they need and want and fix graphics after the fact. The model around having these blockbuster showcases to get people to buy into the hardware is one model. And I suspect MS wants to bank now on a GamePass model.

I’m okay with this when I look at it from a long term perspective. The model suits my style which is, I just like playing teh same games as long as the gameplay loop and populations are good.

For me, I’m okay with everyone ripping on 343i with negativity for a little while; this is shock and awe and it's understandable that everyone will have some emotions and take their shots while they can. But over time I hope that our members here will come to let it go knowing that these major issues will resolve. And refocus the Halo thread on the game and not the presentation from MS.

No doubt but I'm coming from a marketing for your next gen console which is the most powerful it's not a good look.

It's there biggest first party game still isn't it?
To create an entirely new engine, for a new piece of hardware, that they received late, and have it run on XBO, X1X, PC, and XSX, re-jig the game based upon the woes of players since Halo 5. Rework game design and story decisions. It may have been way much to chew to have it all ready by launch.

Scaling down would have gotten them much closer to the goal, but this is the difference between single player adventure titles and trying to build something that is future looking 10 year platform running on 3 vastly different hardware profiles. I'll give them respect for how much they accomplished and that this even will run on XBO.

They have 4 months to launch and the build we saw may be as old as January. That's 11 months of bug and graphical fixing. Once again, a poor showing there's no debate there, but if they couldn't nail the gameplay, they have much larger issues than graphics.

Last edited:
For some Halo fans, the series has been dead for a while, thanks to Halo 4 and 5. So that moves onto the next, Gears?

I was thinking from a more financial position. Which makes more money?

Not including Minecraft in this though.

I was thinking from a more financial position. Which makes more money?

Not including Minecraft in this though.
Overall Halo has probably made the most aside Minecraft. But just because it makes the most, doesn't imply it needs to look the best looking among its lineup; but ideally it would be.

Even if true, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
Maybe the only person who knows how to record gameplay only has a low end PC at home while in isolation from the Pandemic? Oh wait, this build was from early January, maybe everyone was snowed in?
No dev kits. A stable build. They don’t want to make a new build if they are rushing to have everything ready for launch.

Huh, None said it running on a low spec PC, apart from PSman1700
"the demo was running on a PC with similar specs to the Xbox Series X, Microsoft stated during a presentation about Halo Infinite."
Unless PSman1700 thinks the series X is equivalent to a low end PC

Huh, None said it running on a low spec PC, apart from PSman1700
"the demo was running on a PC with similar specs to the Xbox Series X, Microsoft stated during a presentation about Halo Infinite."
Unless PSman1700 thinks the series X is equivalent to a low end PC

that's fine it's not a low end PC. It's just not far along enough is sort of what I'm seeing here.

The Halo franchise has always been seen as a competitor in cutting edge tech on console. Halo 3 was a bit hit and miss, and Halo 5 looked like it stretched the base console too far. But it was always looked to as a game that would push the industry and the hardware. Maybe they've given up on that. If the gameplay is good, then that's primarily what matters. I'm very much a gameplay over graphics person and will happily play on low settings to get more frames. The thing is, this reveal really leaves a bad taste because it falls short of the hype that they set, and it looks counter to the messaging for the first party studios.

For one Phil Spencer explicitly talked about making mistakes in the past and forcing a tight release schedule and not letting games come out organically when the quality was right. This game really looks like it's being forced to come out early. It looks like Phil Spencer said they care about quality, but they needed a launch game, so it's coming out no matter what, even if they have to patch in ray tracing later etc. It also falls a long ways short of the hype video they released a couple of years ago. Like far far far below their target. This is the kind of stuff this forum crucifies games for regularly, so Halo is going to get the same treatment.

I don't really understand what happened here. Maybe they'll fix it. Maybe they won't. There's no way I can know that. You can only go by what they've shown. They had a widely panned 3rd party event that was barren of game play. So they promised big things for this. They were going to correct their mistakes, show the first parties and presumably show gameplay. This is all we got. The biggest historical franchise on the console looking quite bad. I've been pretty favourable to Xbox and Phil Spencer in the past. I've taken his word on a lot of things. Here, I just can't do it.

It's all over the media (saw it on FB), il just take the first hit on google, MS confirmed themselfs, reportedly.

https://gamerant.com/halo-infinite-gameplay-demo-pc/

Whelp.

It wasn't using Xbox Velocity Architecture then.

No low overhead storage API. No custom decompression block. No SFS. Probably not even RDNA 2, so probably no sampler feedback at all [unless they were using some ghetto NVIDIA drivers on RTX] .

Might explain some of the pop in issues.

Whelp.

It wasn't using Xbox Velocity Architecture then.

No low overhead storage API. No custom decompression block. No SFS. Probably not even RDNA 2, so probably no sampler feedback at all [unless they were using some ghetto NVIDIA drivers on RTX] .

Might explain some of the pop in issues.
but concerns me for the PC version ;)

There's simply no AO pass at all. This whole demo felt like someone was repeatedly stabbing in the eyes.
the challenges of building a ground up engine I suppose. There's a lot of work involved so I'm surprised they went through with this without getting more time.

It's like MS built the worlds most powerful tank, in the series x, to fight the 'console war' but all it can do is fire shells made from broken dreams and custard...

Infinite is very much a game made for game pass not for selling series x boxes. MS seem to want the console market to die so they can homogenise the games industry into what they want to monetise. Which at the moment seems to be the idea that MS simply doesn't get games but they do get banal blandness.

I'm okay with letting people get their jabs and hot-takes in until the end of the week so go for it to get it out of your system, vent etc.
Beginning Sunday this particular topic should be about Halo the game; I will report non halo game related posts.

the challenges of building a ground up engine I suppose. There's a lot of work involved so I'm surprised they went through with this without getting more time.
There's really no excuses for what was shown. 343i has been working with its inhouse engine for more than 15 years now (and unless they are a bunch of idiots, which I hope they aren't, this one is a evolution of the previous one. "build form the ground up" is literal PR BS 99% of the time). Their engine is quite capable as seen in Halo 4 but the shit-tier offering that was Halo 5 (outside of the cinematics) with its shadow LOD making them disappear 2 meters in-front of the player, 1:2 & 1:4 rate animations LOD, horrendous mipmapping, shitty animations etc all this in a fully static environment with baked lighting is quite an achievement in terms of crappyness even on a toaster like the Xbox One. RDR2 on base Xbox One, even if only 30fps, looks like something from another universe. The only good thing that came out of Halo 5 is the pretty good dynamic resolution.

Back