Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

Why though? Unless they somehow way behind where they should be with there dev kits.
dev kits didn’t get built Until March IIRC MS was much further behind Sony in regards to that.

The game can look good. If everything was visible from the get go. The issue is that the pop in happens so abruptly infront of you, that by the time the player sees it, it’s nearly out of view.

So it’s shadows, AO, and baked lighting that is all popping in last second here.

Not something I worry about for them solving for release. Just a bad first impression.

for me, the main goal is to see if they can surpass destiny 2 graphics here as they will both run 60 on XSX and both are pseudo open world.

Reportedly, Halo Infinite was running on a pc. A low end one at that?

They said it is representative of Xbox Series X gameplay.

1FyPoe8.png

It's all over the media (saw it on FB), il just take the first hit on google, MS confirmed themselfs, reportedly.

https://gamerant.com/halo-infinite-gameplay-demo-pc/

Why though? Unless they somehow way behind where they should be with there dev kits.

No idea, but it running on a 'similar to xsx specced' pc with those graphical errors and overall quality, give the impression things are very unfinished. Almost like a early build, or something.

Anyway, i think this Halo gameplay impacted the MS show abit negatively for many, and that purely in the graphics department. If they would not have shown infinite, there may have been less negative talk or impressions. We would have been left with non-ingame graphics that impress, but then again, not ingame and far away from being release and reality.
Regarding gameplay, it's what i want and like, but the graphics underwhelmed greatly. But perhaps like the EG article mentioned, Infinite isn't about selling XSX, it's about selling gamepass. Their marketing didn't do so well, i thought it was designed for the XSX and then downported. What we got is a nice looking 8th gen game :p

Dunno what to think really, i was underwhelmed by Sony's show, and now again with MS, even though i expected that to happen.
The games that really impress, like HZFW, HB2, Fable etc didn't show any gameplay, far from it, even though forbidden west's actual gameplay won't be far off from what we have seen.
MS didn't really show off the SSD yet either, they have shown/advertised on the velocity architecture but nothing on games about that yet, whereas sony demonstrated with rift apart how a game can take advantage of SSD tech (even though it's so-so to play like that.

So, both Sony and MS didn't deliver to me, if i had to pick, Sony probably has done better marketing so far, they started with this UE5 tech demo, people got wowed what next gen possibly can do. Their show demonstrated 4k60fps RT ingame gameplay with GT7, ratched showed what the SSD can do together with suble RT going on, and -kinda' next gen graphics at the same time. Forbidden west was a good icing on the cake show. They also invested in UE with a 250million dollar deal, a good PR stunt.

I think both are in the same boat, but PR/marketing is hugely important, every time again.

Well, the gameplay shown didn't exactly scream 12TF+ of power, neither a 8 core 16t Zen 2 monster of a CPU (for a console). Pop-in on a SSD tech.....? There wasn't even ray tracing.
I can't call this the Xbox Series X experience :p

This is an unfinished Halo Infinite on Xbox Series and a cross-gen games. There is a reason All Xbox Series X true exclusive are or offline rendering trailer or in-engine trailer because the game aren't ready to be there before two years. For example, State of Decay 3 is in early preproduction.

Thanks for this. Indeed interesting.

And concerning at the same time. If Infinite is their 500 million dollar launch day game, they should have had it running on the XSX by now. Maybe they do, but they should have shown it on that, in a more finished state perhaps.

This is an unfinished Halo Infinite on Xbox Series and a cross-gen games. There is a reason All Xbox Series X true exclusive are or offline rendering trailer or in-engine trailer because the game aren't ready to be there before two years. For example, State of Decay 3 is in early preproduction.

Ye, you might be right. But still, if Infinite is designed for the XSX first, and then being downported, one would expect it to have looked better then what was shown yesterday. In special when they say 'XSX experience'. Which it clearly is not, so far.
I think it's a marketing problem for the most, had MS marketed Halo as a gamepass cross gen game, instead of a XSX-designed experience, it would have felt better to many.

Personally it doesnt matter for me, the most important for Halo is the gameplay and MP, graphics ofc play a role too, it should be better, but i dont expect Horizon graphics for a MP oriented game :p
Then we have left Fable, state of decay, hb2 etc, that promise next gen graphics, but nothing ingame shown and those games seem about three years in?

Halo's flashy colorful art style has always look like ass for a Sci-fi setting.. Unfortunately 343i got shitted on when they drifted away from it.. Now we are back to square one with a game held back by shit tier hardware (Xbox One)... Halo 4 is an insane technical achievement on 360 BTW. Halo 5, besides having a shit campaign and story was technically ass because of the Xbox One HW..
Good point, Halo artstyle doesnt fit the message and theme of the game. Its bi polar, full of funny little aliens that sound like children when fighting, to brutes which look like comical bad guys. And then there is tons of pink and purple flashing all over, with flat architecture and minimalistic texturing all mixed in with serious message.

If I was MS I would drop Halo and let 343i do their own thing, new IP that would certainly sell ~10m provided it looked good.

And concerning at the same time. If Infinite is their 500 million dollar launch day game, they should have had it running on the XSX by now. Maybe they do, but they should have shown it on that, in a more finished state perhaps.

Ye, you might be right. But still, if Infinite is designed for the XSX first, and then being downported, one would expect it to have looked better then what was shown yesterday. In special when they say 'XSX experience'. Which it clearly is not, so far.
I think it's a marketing problem for the most, had MS marketed Halo as a gamepass cross gen game, instead of a XSX-designed experience, it would have felt better to many.

Personally it doesnt matter for me, the most important for Halo is the gameplay and MP, graphics ofc play a role too, it should be better, but i dont expect Horizon graphics for a MP oriented game :p
Then we have left Fable, state of decay, hb2 etc, that promise next gen graphics, but nothing ingame shown and those games seem about three years in?

Downported is a marketing concept. You scale up your games becase this is how it is economically possible to do a game or you do like Forza Horizon 2 and you have two differents teams doing two different versions.

The game can look good. If everything was visible from the get go. The issue is that the pop in happens so abruptly infront of you, that by the time the player sees it, it’s nearly out of view.

The pop in does stand out but it's not the only thing. There's sections in the warthog where it's sliding on what looks to be dry sand and there's almost no particle effects. The way the guns look which to me is very important in a fps is disappointing as well. To be honest destiny 2 on my PC looks better in every way, yes I know it's probably not an apples to apples comparison but yeah.

In fact if they said it was running on a Xbox X I wouldn't of been surprised or even very impressed.

The pop in does stand out but it's not the only thing. There's sections in the warthog where it's sliding on what looks to be dry sand and there's almost no particle effects. The way the guns look which to me is very important in a fps is disappointing as well. To be honest destiny 2 on my PC looks better in every way, yes I know it's probably not an apples to apples comparison but yeah.

In fact if they said it was running on a Xbox X I wouldn't of been surprised or even very impressed.
Once again I’m fairly positive this wont be what you get for final release. While most trailers things get downgraded, it’s likely only to go up from here when issues are solved.

content and gameplay shown they probably had up to Jan/Feb to finish and right now at least from a gameplay perspective it’s looking polished. Graphics can be done at a later time.

there will be the horsepower available to do sand, and ray tracing etc in a post launch patch. Which I mean it would be helpful to have day 1 to sell the console, but aside from that I know it will be better optimized then what we see here

Maybe the only person who knows how to record gameplay only has a low end PC at home while in isolation from the Pandemic? Oh wait, this build was from early January, maybe everyone was snowed in? :confused:
Even if true, whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?
No dev kits. A stable build. They don’t want to make a new build if they are rushing to have everything ready for launch.

Back