How to sell next-gen consoles, Marketing, Positioning, and Pricing [2020]

Yes. Nearly all the racing games look so similar now. I'm not interested in most of them unless it allows me to drive like I want, meaning off road and through mailboxes and fences and across yards. :cool:

I though they gonna show forza horizon 5 after showing forza motorsports. But nope :( :(

Ugh too bad Driveclub developer has been disbanded. Driveclub 2 for PS5 would be amazing. With PS5 power, they could make the weather even better.

You a casual gamer who buys a system for a few games then the xbox one will still play the big games for the next couple of years so that investment can still be worth while. Want the best graphics a console can give you then the xbox series x is that platform. Want to tinker with settings and spend money chasing the newest tech , highest frame rates and resolutions ? You can play on the pc. On the go ? Take out that phone whip out that xbox controller or don't i dunno do what your happy with. But guess what ? Do it all on our platform. Give us your money. That is their messaging.

But in none of what you said above do you need to have an XBSX and that is frightning as it's currently Xbox's supposed selling point to get gamepass. I can see people getting gamepass without even looking at buying a XBSX.

That's must be a really frightning aspect for Xbox at this point in time.

I can see it now. Stick with the will be soon to be discounted Xbox One X/SAD. Buy a PC and enjoy all the benefits of gamepass. Then look to buy an XBSX when prices have fallen even more and there are games available to take advantage of the system. That's the actual messaging I get from Xbox.

The only advantage I see the XBSX has over the XBox One X is load times.

Last edited:
Neither Sony and Microsoft has shown me anything to say i need a new console in the next 18 months and at that point i feel like i would just wait for the PS5 Pro/Series X X.

I mean, ALL the really neat seeming games seem to be years down the road and even launch games like Halo Infinite is getting Ray-Tracing added after launch...

I was so ready to drop money on at least one out of PS5 or XSX but right now i feel like the only one i would consider is Lockhart, depending on exactly what it is and what it costs of course...

Which is funny because it technically has not had any official marketing at all yet...

Last edited:
But in none of what you said above do you need to have an XBSX and that is frightning as it's currently Xbox's supposed selling point to get gamepass. I can see people getting gamepass without even looking at buying a XBSX.

I can see it now. Stick with the will be soon to be discounted Xbox One X/SAD. Buy a PC and enjoy all the benefits of gamepass. Then look to buy an XBSX when prices have fallen even more and there are games available to take advantage of the system. That's the actual messaging I get from Xbox.

I'm not sure that there's any reason to purchase an XSX at launch, since it has no unique selling point and the same games are available for the Xbox One (X).

I've gone through the games again today and I'm not seeing anything that screams "next-gen". If someone told me that Halo was running on the Xbox One X I'd believe them. I think there's a very good chance that it was.

By trying to keep things simple (Xbox as a service), they're actually making the XSX seem pointless. A interesting idea could inadvertently be the machine's downfall.

So we're going to have the following by winter:

Xbox One
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

And the games will run across all of them, with only resolution and frame rate being the distinguishing factors? Next gen is simply lost in the mix.

Considering the Series X should be between 10-15x more powerful than the base machine, I'd really liked to have seen something that couldn't be done on the others.

Disappointing. I really wanted a reason to be excited for Xbox again.

Last edited by a moderator:
For one monthly cost I can play the biggest xbox games on my phone , tablet , laptop , desktop or xbox.

In terms of ways of delivering the content yes, but lack they lack good and extensive original content. Right now, if I had to make an analogy with the movie industry, MS is like Netflix and Sony is like Disney. Eventually Disney+ will show up tho.

I may be biased but I believe having good content is harder than having a good platform.

fIf you were heading into Microsoft’s Xbox game showcase yesterday to witness a demonstration of why next-gen gaming and the “world’s most powerful console” matter, you were probably left a little disappointed. Microsoft’s event featured a solid showcase for the future of Xbox and Xbox Game Studios content, but it did little to convince me why I should buy an Xbox Series X. Instead, it made it clear that the Xbox Series X is just one of many ways you can play Xbox games, and that Microsoft’s true next-gen focus is Xbox Game Pass.
I agree with this. Not sure if I agree that hardware is dead. Though I suspect the narrative will change when it's convenient for MS to do so (ie, when their next gen titles are about ready to pop)

We'll see if it's a working strategy by Christmas.

I'm not into the gaming-as-a-service thing. I hardly play anymore and it'd mostly be for my children, I can't justify such a large monthly outlay (proportional to what spend now) for a service that only provides a handful of games I want to play.

If this is the future of gaming you can count me out.

I agree with this. Not sure if I agree that hardware is dead. Though I suspect the narrative will change when it's convenient for MS to do so (ie, when their next gen titles are about ready to pop)
Until the broadband infrastructure is good enough to stream high quality, high resolution, high frame games at low latency there will remain a significant number of people who want local hardware and many of them will want more powerful hardware than we've had the last seven years. I can't see steaming supplanting local hardware by the launch of next-next generation. It just takes too long long for the underlying infrastructure to be improved across whole countries.

Unless they can make the speed of light faster hardware's not dead. Yes it will be a nice feature to have for those close enough to a data center.

I still don't see why as a company you would want to take the cost of the hardware and the electricity and the massive bandwidth needed away from the consumer.

Game pass is only good if the games are good and we don't know because the games are so many years from release that they couldn't even show tech demos. Compare this to a game like the Last of Us 2 where they showed actual gameplay segments years before the game came out, and they ended up looking pretty similar tot he final release. Microsoft showed Halo Infinite looking well below the standards they set with their earlier reveals. Beyond that it was a bunch of cutscenes that could totally misrepresent the actual games. Is Everwild going to look like those scenes during gameplay? What is the actual game? Survival game? MMO? Platformer? We have no idea, because they haven't explained any of it. So if I buy an Xbox to get gamepass, it's only a great deal if I know what I'm getting, which I do not. This whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Buy gamepass and get access to all of these games ... some day. They'll be great, but we can't show you anything because they're in early development.

Game pass is only good if the games are good and we don't know because the games are so many years from release that they couldn't even show tech demos. Compare this to a game like the Last of Us 2 where they showed actual gameplay segments years before the game came out, and they ended up looking pretty similar tot he final release. Microsoft showed Halo Infinite looking well below the standards they set with their earlier reveals. Beyond that it was a bunch of cutscenes that could totally misrepresent the actual games. Is Everwild going to look like those scenes during gameplay? What is the actual game? Survival game? MMO? Platformer? We have no idea, because they haven't explained any of it. So if I buy an Xbox to get gamepass, it's only a great deal if I know what I'm getting, which I do not. This whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Buy gamepass and get access to all of these games ... some day. They'll be great, but we can't show you anything because they're in early development.

Right. I already pay for Netflix, Prime, and Audible services. Out of watching TV, reading, and playing games - it's gaming that I do least and they're expecting me to pay a price that's more than those other things combined.

It works for people that game a lot at the expense of everything else.

I still don't see why as a company you would want to take the cost of the hardware and the electricity and the massive bandwidth needed away from the consumer.

Because in the long run it's probably more efficient to build hardware for an industrial setting that can run on-demand round the clock than produce 50-100m units of consumer grade hardware that is sitting idle most of the time.

It's not like they make money on the consoles...

The option is up to you. I'm not sure why you think its scary. If you want 1080p gaming without all the newest features then yea get an xbox one and get that sub. You think MS cares if your going to pay them $20 bucks a month while using an xbox one s or an xbox series x ? You said it yourself your willing to buy a console now and then buy a console in the future all the while buying game pass. Which one do you think makes them more money. A subscriber paying monthly/ tri monthly for years on end or someone buying a console at launch which MS is most likely taking a hit on.

I've been telling you guys for a long time I am just buying a new video card this year. I don't think either system is a great buy if your willing to invest into the pc eco system. Guess what Microsoft still gets my money (Well not cause i don't pay for it) and every day , every game announcement makes gamepass ultimate more enticing for the average consumer

Back