Microsoft Xbox digital events [E3 2020 Replacements]

Like I said above it's looking like they're interested more in selling subscriptions.
I know, I was joking.
And it is an interesting strategy.
I just hope there will be enough incentive for the consumer to subscribe.

The fact there is a ray tracing patch coming has some weird indications of a lack of XSX optimization
The more I dig into this, the more I believe that the game is an XBO game.
I just heard that the game was supposed to come out a lot earlier, but they had to change the story significantly.
You cannot do miracles if your game is designed for current gen, and it makes sense.

I know, I was joking.
And it is an interesting strategy.
I just hope there will be enough incentive for the consumer to subscribe.

Gotcha. ;) If an event full of Game Pass games isn't enough to get you excited, then I don't think showing any more games will.

BRiT any plans to make threads or update posts to include all the announcements/videos?

Geoff Keighley had a more in-depth gameply video on The Medium on his post-show. Wasn't sure if there anything else like that we missed.

EDIT: NVM see the other stuff in the Games forum now. Oops.

Tommy McClain

The games were great. Microsoft has a lot of studios making good stuff. That is the main thing that I did like. Almost everything first party is getting bought day one. What I didn't like was how far away everything seems. For a console only 4 months away from being released, we should know what gameplay looks like. That's my biggest gripe outside of the fact that some of their early games are going to be uprezzed a bit. Microsoft tech did their job, they built the best console on the market in regards to technological superiority, I get the business strategy behind it all, staying on XB1 but I am going to have to say I was surprised by how tethered some of what Halo showed was to this generation. Its evident that as far as graphical excellence, this first wave of games isn't going to be that. Ok, fine. 4K/60fps is a feat in itself but there is a difference when a developer truly builds a game from the ground up for a platform. Clearly, nothing shown on either console fits the bill. Disappointing but not surprised. The pretty games will come, I'm still buying both at launch and I'm excited about most of the games shown today.

Where my mind is now is seeing just how much Microsoft wants to do with Gamepass which is to get people to subscribe. I don't believe that this console is difficult to manufacture. They are going to have XSX blades for Azure early next year for Xcloud. Through economies of scale, the savings of manufacture should go up pretty quickly. All in all, what I'm saying is that the yin to the yang to Gamepass is that a console is still going to be the quickest way to get people to buy in. I think that we can be slightly more bullish on a 399 XSX and maybe a subscription based and/or 199 Lockhart. Following the Gillette model. The consoles are simply the razor, Gamepass is the perpetually bought blade. Given what appears to be their aim, it makes no sense for the barriers of entry to be higher than what they should be financially.

That sounds like a fair assessment. Now we wait.

This trailer already looks like a newer build. The geometry is still low, not sure if that can scale, but everything else is getting to where I expect it. That ground texture, that type fo stuff, is what I was expecting to see, at least once in the gameplay demo. I didn't see it.

The grass, dirt and foliage texture quality when the wart hog goes by at the end, that's more what I'm expecting with scaling up, well at least I can see the dirt LOL.

Last edited:
The grass, dirt and foliage texture quality when the wart hog goes by at the end, that's more what I'm expecting with scaling up.

This likely isn't what you meant, but I wonder if the studio (or one of many) that was mentioned as using/experimenting with ML texture upscaling is 343i and for some reason it was turned off for the demo (maybe still glitchy or buggy). That could explain to some degree the rather low res looking textures.

Regards,
SB

This likely isn't what you meant, but I wonder if the studio (or one of many) that was mentioned as using/experimenting with ML texture upscaling is 343i and for some reason it was turned off for the demo (maybe still glitchy or buggy). That could explain to some degree the rather low res looking textures.

Regards,
SB
lol compared to the demo seen earlier, at least I can see the the dirt.

LOL

EdqB9tQU8AE_TNP

Because even current gen games have shadows, AO, and more proper alpha transparencies. 4K Textures that can be seen at a distance have been around since X1X debuted.

game isn't out , what i saw looked very clean and was running quite stable. We don't know which platform it was on. We are still months away from both the xsx and halo infinite launch

Saw something on Twitter that was a nice reminder. The event today was the Xbox Games Showcase, not the Xbox Series X showcase. Xbox platform is Xbox One, Xbox Series X & Windows 10. Actually it might have been better to call it the Xbox Games Pass Showcase. This wasn't meant so much to get people to buy a Xbox Series X console, but really to get people really excited to buy a Xbox Game Pass subscription, of which is on multiple devices. If you look at it like that, it was a great show.
MS made it clear that for the first couple of years they would develop games for both old gen and next gen consoles (cross gen). They also did show one or two games that are exclusive to Series X I think.
MS does want to treat the XBOX as a platform and not one console I doubt they will have a Series X specific event

MS made it clear that for the first couple of years they would develop games for both old gen and next gen consoles (cross gen). They also did show one or two games that are exclusive to Series X I think.
MS does want to treat the XBOX as a platform and not one console I doubt they will have a Series X specific event
I believe Aron Greenburg said that going forward games would be developed for xsx first and it be up to the developer if they wanted it on previous consoles. The faucet is getting closed slowly.

They will at some point switch to saying well just stream it to the xbox one or xbox one x through game pass for the best graphics

That was meh overall. I’m happy at Fable is being worked on by an amazing studio. That is all.
Agreed. The problem for me is that after the previous event, Xbox knew that people wanted gameplay as it was promised for that event and never delivered but then Phil Spencer came out after the competitors event and said he felt good.

“Just being honest, I felt good after seeing their show,” he continued. “I think the hardware advantages that we’ve built are going to show up as we’re talking more about our games and frame rates and other things. I thought the games lineup that we’re gonna have at launch, I felt really good about. And we got more clarity on what they’re doing obviously at their show which helped us just focus in on more of what we have, and I think that’ll be a strength for us at launch.”

Spencer said he thinks people "are really going to be pleased" with the show, following the lackluster program in May.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-exec-phil-spencer-speaks-about-hardware-advan/1100-6478974/

This would make any Xbox gamers drool as he seemed to promise, better fps, and other things(graphics, gameplay) because the XBSX hardware had advantages. Yet nothing shown yesterday looked amazing or next-gen and Halo is supposed to be their flagship game for the beginning of the generation yet I thought it looked subpar. Textures were not good, pop-ins everywhere, gameplay looked slow(but that is just me), world looked static(no wind blowing and grass/trees moving), flames/fire/explosions looked subpar. This game is four months away and this demo did the game no favours.

Hell the Destiny bit they showed looked every bit better than Halo did, gameplay and graphics wise.

Two games really caught my eye and made me think they looked next-gen and pretty. State of Decay 3 and Fable. However both had no gameplay, not even for 10 secs and both were cutscenes for sure. The Medium look good but nothing about the game stood out to me as next-gen. Obsidian games looked current gen as they are. Crossfire looked interesting however and it looked like a multiplayer game but will have to see more before I have an judgement on it. I am excited to get in on S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 as I enjoyed the Stalker games but again, no gameplay.

Xbox seems to be more out of touch with what the majority of gamers want and seems to only be catering for the elite few who seem to be happy with anything Xbox has to show.

This was a really underwhelming show. I expected so much more with regards to what Phil seemed to promise and what was actually delivered.

Last edited:
That was meh overall. I’m happy at Fable is being worked on by an amazing studio. That is all.
I’m kinda wondering if they’ll implement multiplayer ala Forza Horizon 4. i.e. you meet people and do events together.

I’m kinda wondering if they’ll implement multiplayer ala Forza Horizon 4. i.e. you meet people and do events together.

I can totally see that.

I quite liked the Orbs in Fable 2. Made the world more alive and dynamic. Now if you evolve the orbs into a better co-op system, that'd be a great evolution.

The female in the State of Decay trailer has superb face and body animation. Felt really natural to me. Quite impressive.

Obviously that's not the game. But for a trailer probably the most effective one of the show.

Are these the official xbox game videos? They don't have too many views so is there some other source people went? Ori is about 700k views, Fable almost 600k, Halo is third most with a little bit less than 400k views. I'm number addict and trying to understand trends based on youtube/... views.

https://www.youtube.com/c/xbox/videos

Last edited:
The female in the State of Decay trailer has superb face and body animation. Felt really natural to me. Quite impressive.

Obviously that's not the game. But for a trailer probably the most effective one of the show.

I think Fable was the most impressive, the details, assets and draw distance, lighting.... It smashed about anything else. Question is, the game might not even be in production yet. I hope the graphics will be anything like that.

Back