Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

No shadows anywhere to be seen, No AO, lighting is all messed up. Textures really blurry after the first 1/5 of the screen.
This can't be right lol.

mKoLCHX.png

DF's breakdown won't be helpful. Alex is just going to obsess over the nice looking hands. :D

DF's breakdown won't be helpful. Alex is just going to obsess over the nice looking hands. :D
He actually had a bit to say about what he saw today on ResetEra:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/halo-infinite-4k-60-gameplay-demo.253809/page-22#post-40546242
Some of the art decisions are not my preference here, it gives the game a lower detailed look. A good example is how opaque the alpha effects are, and lacking detail as well.

Check out this difference between the shields on the elite. The Halo Infinite shield effect is completely opaque; it also looks like it has no small detail reads in the shield effect itself.

(Picture of Halo Infinite. Snip).

Here is the shield effect in Reach on the Elite. It has a varied level of opacity based upon damage type and has this tiling detail all across the shield effect. It also sticks to the outside edge of the model on full frontal views, so you can still see quite a lot. It has a lot of negative space. It just looks... more detailed.

(Picture of Halo Reach. Snip).

https://www.resetera.com/threads/halo-infinite-4k-60-gameplay-demo.253809/page-27#post-40550778
Maybe they designed its visual information look around the sub 720p it will be on base xbox one. Either way, it looks bad. Worse than Reach.

Time for 343 to transition and embrace Unreal Engine 5. Slipspace Engine ain't it, chief. :no:

Thanks, Gamepass. :p

sigh :|
If Jayco is right about the lighting model.
Yea, I think proper RT lighting, GI, and shadows, as well as fixing pop-in and texture assets. Sure the game will be good looking.
But that's a huge laundry list for launch. I'm super confused as to why they didn't set all detail to maximum and say this is the PC version or something.

they may plan full RT effect, maybe lighting + reflections, while still hitting 60fps, so that might explain the lower detail, but once RT is in it should look substantially better

Yes, they must be planning on this using RT in the final game but its not yet ready to be shown, thats the only reason I can think of it looking so bad. If not then :oops:
But WTF did MS even show it in this state, its rightfully so the butt of memes at the moment

they may plan full RT effect, maybe lighting + reflections, while still hitting 60fps, so that might explain the lower detail, but once RT is in it should look substantially better

I think the game is just unfinished. I though there was a bug with the lighting when I saw the video (like the issues FF7R has with texture streaming in some levels) but the official screnshots don't look good either (looks much better in motion) so I guess it's just the state of the game as of today.

Gameplay looked great (the guy/gal playing the game wasn't very good though), lots of Halo 1 and 2 vibes. Looked really promising to me.

Graphics wise it looked unfinished and buggy? Pop ins, lightning issues, poor textures etc. Strange that they opted to show the game in this condition?

Back